Is it too soon to buy an ebike?

PB Forum :: eMTB
Is it too soon to buy an ebike?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Feb 24, 2021 at 8:03 Quote
I am thinking of buying an ebike, but is it too soon. After all it in its infancy (first gen?) and we all know how products get better and cheaper as the generations are released. So I am concerned that I should wait....or maybe not?

Posted: Feb 24, 2021 at 11:09 Quote
No or you will be waiting forever for the next great thing. Ebikes are brilliant right now. Kenevo, 700w battery, best bike I've owned.
They are only going to get more expensive also, not cheaper.

Posted: Feb 24, 2021 at 19:26 Quote
It is all about “Smiles per Mile”.
Pre e-bike the trails were becoming a grind.
The downhill stuff was fun but the climbs sucked and my knees hated me.
Now it’s go anywhere anytime, follow anyone on any hill and keep up with the pace! And still get a work out.

Yes technology will push the bikes to be better, but they are great now and you can have 6-7+ good years out of this generation.

Posted: Feb 24, 2021 at 23:57 Quote
Sure, ebikes will be better in 5 years. Probably even better than that in 10 years. But why not have fun right now on today's ebikes?

Posted: Feb 25, 2021 at 0:36 Quote
why not buy now and at some later point you can always upgrade your bike for the next new thing.

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 25, 2021 at 7:38 Quote
What big new tech are you expecting that would be worth waiting for? 1.8 inch head tubes? (Kidding)

You’ll get a bit more battery life and a smoother motor if you wait another year but don’t expect an order-of-magnitude improvement. If there is some 10x improvement on the horizon then whoever is developing it is being excessively quiet.

In other words, buy one now or face another summer with less time spent riding your bike downhill.

O+
Posted: Feb 26, 2021 at 10:38 Quote
Don't wait. Your just putting off the most fun you will ever have on the trails. You'll be smiling on the downhills and smiling even more on the climbs.

Posted: Feb 28, 2021 at 8:58 Quote
What is the reliability like? Has anyone had any issues?
I have seen a few people complaining but it's hard to tell how many people are actually affected.

O+
Posted: Feb 28, 2021 at 9:42 Quote
[Quote="dogboy1066"]What is the reliability like? Has anyone had any issues?
I have seen a few people complaining but it's hard to tell how many people are actually affected.[/Quote
Most come with warranties. I wouldn't buy one without a warranty. I have 2Levos and have not had any issues.

O+
Posted: Mar 2, 2021 at 9:01 Quote
jimbones wrote:
I am thinking of buying an ebike, but is it too soon. After all it in its infancy (first gen?) and we all know how products get better and cheaper as the generations are released. So I am concerned that I should wait....or maybe not?

Most battery and motor systems are on their 3rd or 4th generations already, while things will improve in the future getting a bike now is far better than waiting.

IMO eMTB changes everything about how and where I ride, I've gone from looking at 5-7km rides with ~300-500m of climbing to looking for 20+km rides with 1000-2000+m of climbing, even after work laps are far longer (10-15km vs a couple of km).

O+
Posted: Mar 2, 2021 at 19:04 Quote
Nah. This shit is amazing. I’m having the time of my life

Posted: Mar 6, 2021 at 18:12 Quote
Get it now and enjoy yourself. Life is to short to wait for the perfect time..... your time is now.

Posted: Mar 9, 2021 at 22:15 Quote
Good luck on finding a Emtb .

FL
Posted: Mar 20, 2021 at 5:56 Quote
You only have so many quality Saturdays in your life. The only thing you DO take with you when you die is your memories - Start making them!

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010566
Mobile Version of Website