Powered by Outside

22 EVO Comp Alloy coming ..

PB Forum :: Specialized
22 EVO Comp Alloy coming ..
  • Previous Page
Posted: Oct 19, 2021 at 12:09 Quote
I have on order a 22 Stumpy EVO Comp Alloy .. i wish to mullet this at build time.

Anyone have some xp doing the mullet conversion themselves?

Additionally, what was the widest tire you used? I was thinking i'd do a replacement for the 29" rim and have the shop build it that way and put a 27.5 Eliminator on it, 2.3 is probably wide enough i think ..

O+
Posted: Oct 19, 2021 at 12:16 Quote
oatesie71 wrote:
I have on order a 22 EVO Comp Alloy .. i wish to mullet this at build time.

Additionally, what was the widest tire you used? I was thinking i'd do a replacement for the 29" rim and have the shop build it that way and put a 27.5 Eliminator on it, 2.3 is probably wide enough i think ..

Alloy Stumpy EVO I'm assuming?

Posted: Oct 19, 2021 at 13:45 Quote
duncanstrohnd wrote:
oatesie71 wrote:
I have on order a 22 EVO Comp Alloy .. i wish to mullet this at build time.

Alloy Stumpy EVO I'm assuming?

Yessir, your assumption is spot on! Updated to reflect .. Smile \m/

Posted: Oct 20, 2021 at 13:02 Quote
I don't really have anything to add here, except that I have my frame on order as well and I cant WAIT to build this bike up. I am currently on a '21 stumpy which has been a good bike, but I have often wanted for more rear travel and the option to run a mullet set up.

I know Specialized sells the mullet link as a stand alone item and most videos say its a 20-30 minute job.

O+
Posted: Oct 20, 2021 at 15:45 Quote
Williams racing products. Check them out. The mullet link sold by specialized is junk.

Posted: Oct 21, 2021 at 7:50 Quote
Petiloi wrote:
Williams racing products. Check them out. The mullet link sold by specialized is junk.

Good to know. my Buddy has the WRP on his enduro and seems to be happy with it.

Posted: Oct 22, 2021 at 13:01 Quote
sempertoy wrote:
I don't really have anything to add here, except that I have my frame on order as well and I cant WAIT to build this bike up. I am currently on a '21 stumpy which has been a good bike, but I have often wanted for more rear travel and the option to run a mullet set up.

I know Specialized sells the mullet link as a stand alone item and most videos say its a 20-30 minute job.

Yeah, i have never been so stoked for a bike .. the waiting is the hardest part it all LOL

Posted: Oct 27, 2021 at 23:37 Quote
Petiloi wrote:

I'm no engineer but I just don't believe WRP's numbers for their links. They claim the link radically changes the axle path and allows it to grow by 70+mm at full travel without needing an idler pulley. That's double that of an actual high pivot bike like the Dreadnought, and I would chalk it up as a mistake but they have similar number posted for other links.

Makes it hard to believe the rest of their numbers/stats. Or maybe i just can't read a graph

It also costs 5x as much as the Specialized link for something that you may not like and ditch for 29. I tried a mullet setup on a bike that was practically designed for it (Banshee Titan) and went back to full 29 pretty quick, but I am tall

O+
Posted: Oct 28, 2021 at 8:04 Quote
lyzyrdskydr wrote:
Petiloi wrote:

I'm no engineer but I just don't believe WRP's numbers for their links. They claim the link radically changes the axle path and allows it to grow by 70+mm at full travel without needing an idler pulley. That's double that of an actual high pivot bike like the Dreadnought, and I would chalk it up as a mistake but they have similar number posted for other links.

Makes it hard to believe the rest of their numbers/stats. Or maybe i just can't read a graph

It also costs 5x as much as the Specialized link for something that you may not like and ditch for 29. I tried a mullet setup on a bike that was practically designed for it (Banshee Titan) and went back to full 29 pretty quick, but I am tall

Hey so I’m no expert at reading graphs either but I headed over to their site after I was your comment and checked out the axle path graph the axle path grows from a -3 (stock link) to a -5 (wrp link) so I didn’t see the 5x growth in rearward movement you mentioned. Though I did see that the axle is rearward for longer through the travel but doesn’t continue to grow.

I do know a few people on there enduro mullet link and I have only heard good things.

Yeah the price is higher but with everything quality costs. Also I have tried the mullet link by specialized. That thing is terrible. It doesn’t give you good view on mulleting the bike at all.

I have a kavenz which is a high pivot and is mulleted as well and the axle path on that versus the axle path on the stumpy is drastically different. In graph form.

Posted: Oct 28, 2021 at 10:12 Quote
After looking at it again this morning I realized I can't read a graph. I thought the -5 line was for the Specialized mullet link, not the WRP one. I guess the -70 is supposed to be for the fork, I don't know why they'd include that for a rear suspension link.

Why was the Specialized link so terrible? I've heard it reduces progressively slightly which isn't ideal but haven't heard any other complaints. For heavy riders already running a large volume reducer it could be a deal breaker but most people could just up their spacer size if it's that noticeable.

I still think most trying mullet are better off getting the Specialized link since it so much cheaper. Even if it slightly worsens kinematics it will still give people an idea of what mullet bike rides like with corrected geometry. I'm far from the only one who's tried the mullet thing and ditched it

O+
Posted: Oct 28, 2021 at 10:31 Quote
Yeah I’m looking at the graph I’m not sure why they included the front fork as well but I’m not an engineer so what do I know.

The Specialized link though may offer you the same geo will offer a much worse ride as your suspension leverage is different. Most people will attribute the poor functioning suspension to the mulleting of the bike. This is where I see the problem. A bike that rides like shit rides like shit no matter the wheel size.

I use a coil as well so in this way Lessing/flattening the progressive leverage curve is problematic. I’m not the heaviest guy but I like to run the softest spring possible to get the best traction.

Posted: Oct 28, 2021 at 10:51 Quote
What's your coil/spring/weight? From what I've heard the Evo isn't great match for coils with the higher leverage rate and medium low progressively. I'm already slightly over sprung on my Enduro to get proper bottom out support and I believe the Evo is a bit less progressive.

Asking because I'm toying with picking up an alloy Evo frame to split the difference between my regular SJ and Enduro. Really happy with both bikes but I'm moving soon and can only have one bike.

O+
Posted: Oct 28, 2021 at 14:42 Quote
So I’m running a dvo jade x with a 600 spring on it. That being said i don’t like the dvo very much. I’m used to an ext Storia and pretty much everything pails in comparison. So I’ll be switching it out at some point. I’m about 200 kitted. I’m also running the cascade link which ups the progression and changes the curve to help bottom out. The evo is great. Super fun bike. I run it in the steepest highest setting as it acts more as my trail bike than my enduro. My kavenz handles enduro duties very well. I’d say you won’t be losing much trading in both those bikes to the evo. I haven’t found anything that it says no to.

Posted: Nov 8, 2021 at 21:36 Quote
For anyone looking… noticed several frame only sizes available today. Put one on order.

Posted: Nov 14, 2021 at 1:43 Quote
photo

photo

Just put my Stumpy together the other night, swapped the parts over from my 2020 Enduro.

Did some pedal powered laps in the morning and hit some steeps, then did a bunch of shuttle laps in the afternoon on a higher speed trail with some pretty choppy rough hits

Gonna try not to gush too much after one day of riding but the bike is exactly what I was hoping it would be. Nearly as capable as the Enduro but poppier/more lively and more balanced with the longer stays on the S5 (coming from and S5 Enduro at 6' 5")

Also found it to be a great climber, never felt the need to use the lockout which impressed me as I am pretty sensitive to pedal bob. Also the steeper seat angle and longer stays were nice on steeper climbs coming from the Enduro. Definitely felt like a bit better climber than the Enduro but it is almost a pound lighter than my Enduro (coil shock on Enduro, all other parts identical including 170mm 38 )

The Enduro still has the edge on really rough repeated hits and at super high speeds, but the Evo is plenty capable and I think it will make a great one-bike setup for me

Oh yeah and for the weight weenies: my S5 frameset was 9lbs 1oz

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013439
Mobile Version of Website