Powered by Outside

Lower extended headset cup to raise bottom bracket

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Lower extended headset cup to raise bottom bracket
  • Previous Page
Posted: Dec 30, 2021 at 0:03 Quote
I added a works component -2 headset and put my yt Capra in the high position along with adding 10mm travel to my fox 38.

But still feel like my bb is a bit low.

Can I add a 10mm lower headset cup to my 2021 Capra to raise the bb?

I’m thinking of using a wolf tooth performance 10mm extended lower cup.

Will it work with my bike? Any other brands?

Posted: Dec 30, 2021 at 2:35 Quote
Could you just run a higher rise handlebar instead?

Posted: Dec 30, 2021 at 11:06 Quote
JoeBristol wrote:

I just want it for the sole purpose of lifting the bb hitting my bash guard I feel like too much after the -2 headset but I was under spring too on the front I changed from 45 to 50lbs spring

Posted: Dec 30, 2021 at 15:10 Quote
This replaces your crown race and adds ~10mm to your front end: https://reverse-components-usa.com/collections/headsets/products/reverse-angle-spacer

I have one on my bike. It's inexpensive and an easier swap than a headset cup

FL
Posted: Dec 30, 2021 at 15:47 Quote
dhrider8051 wrote:
JoeBristol wrote:

I just want it for the sole purpose of lifting the bb hitting my bash guard I feel like too much after the -2 headset but I was under spring too on the front I changed from 45 to 50lbs spring

Sounds like a rider problem and not a bike problem

Posted: Dec 30, 2021 at 17:41 Quote
lookseasyfromhere wrote:
This replaces your crown race and adds ~10mm to your front end: https://reverse-components-usa.com/collections/headsets/products/reverse-angle-spacer

I have one on my bike. It's inexpensive and an easier swap than a headset cup

Thank you

Do you happen to know which size fits my 2021 Capra pro al 29er?

Has a fox 38 fork.

Posted: Dec 30, 2021 at 17:46 Quote
TheSlayer99 wrote:
dhrider8051 wrote:
JoeBristol wrote:

It’s not, the bike specifically started hitting the bash guard after installation of the -2 headset which lowered my bb

FL
Posted: Dec 30, 2021 at 19:57 Quote
dhrider8051 wrote:
TheSlayer99 wrote:
dhrider8051 wrote:

It’s not, the bike specifically started hitting the bash guard after installation of the -2 headset which lowered my bb

And that’s a problem that’s 95% the rider

Posted: Dec 30, 2021 at 20:01 Quote
TheSlayer99 wrote:
dhrider8051 wrote:
TheSlayer99 wrote:

Didn’t have the problem before….

FL
Posted: Dec 30, 2021 at 20:10 Quote
dhrider8051 wrote:
TheSlayer99 wrote:
dhrider8051 wrote:

Didn’t have the problem before….

And that doesn’t change it’s a rider problem

Posted: Dec 30, 2021 at 20:32 Quote
Yes it does in this circumstance

Posted: Dec 30, 2021 at 21:25 Quote
dhrider8051 wrote:

I think the point slayer is trying to make is that the relatively small amount by which you have dropped the bottom bracket (and the fact that the bike is in the high position also) will in the real world mean that you are catching your bashguard on stuff that you should either be riding around or unweighting the front to get over providing there are no other bike related issues.

If the bike is in the high setting and you have upped fork pressure compared to the before angle set fitment then that should more or less off set the reduction in bb height that occurred by fitting the angle set.

The other option is to learn to avoid smashing into stuff and take advantage of the benefit a lower bb brings.

Is your suspension set up correctly?

Posted: Dec 30, 2021 at 21:39 Quote
Pigglet13 wrote:
dhrider8051 wrote:

I think the point slayer is trying to make is that the relatively small amount by which you have dropped the bottom bracket (and the fact that the bike is in the high position also) will in the real world mean that you are catching your bashguard on stuff that you should either be riding around or unweighting the front to get over providing there are no other bike related issues.

If the bike is in the high setting and you have upped fork pressure compared to the before angle set fitment then that should more or less off set the reduction in bb height that occurred by fitting the angle set.

The other option is to learn to avoid smashing into stuff and take advantage of the benefit a lower bb brings.

Thank you I feel like he was just being a jerk with not really helping.

The front fork was way under damped with a 45lbs spring the 55lbs spring was way over damped now have the 50lbs spring with the smash pot coil conversion in front on the fox 38 and feels just about right

I have not have had a chance to try it on the trail with the 50lbs spring yet but can feel just in the driveway alone it has a bit more midstorke support where as the 45lbs spring had almost none

I liked the initial stroke on the 55lbs spring but it was way too stiff insane ramp up after 1 inch of travel would only utilize like 50 percent of travel

FL
Posted: Dec 31, 2021 at 3:03 Quote
I got a Reverse components angle adjust fork race for this very reason, I'm getting way too many pedal strikes on my scout. I was gonna measure before an after but I forgot! It should be about a 4or5mm BB rise. felt good on the first ride

FL
Posted: Dec 31, 2021 at 7:44 Quote
dhrider8051 wrote:
Pigglet13 wrote:
dhrider8051 wrote:

Thank you I feel like he was just being a jerk with not really helping.

The front fork was way under damped with a 45lbs spring the 55lbs spring was way over damped now have the 50lbs spring with the smash pot coil conversion in front on the fox 38 and feels just about right

I have not have had a chance to try it on the trail with the 50lbs spring yet but can feel just in the driveway alone it has a bit more midstorke support where as the 45lbs spring had almost none

I liked the initial stroke on the 55lbs spring but it was way too stiff insane ramp up after 1 inch of travel would only utilize like 50 percent of travel

Go get a coaching session. You clearly need it more than the mods you’ve done to your bike.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008106
Mobile Version of Website