Can't seem to progress on clipless..

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Can't seem to progress on clipless..
  • Previous Page
O+ FL
Posted: Nov 16, 2022 at 11:39 Quote
Hey all,

Just want to get some advice on the transition to clipless pedals. I am 30 years old and have been riding mountain bikes since I was about 13 years old. I've always ridden flat pedals. Since moving to the North Shore I have experienced a lot of "foot off pedal" moments and wanted to give clipless a try. I love the benefit of them while going downhill, it allows me to make way easier shapes without worrying about my feet falling off. Albeit, I am definitely riding with less confidence still because of the following:

So...I've been riding with a pair of Mallet E LS's, for several weeks now. Probably months at this point. I am have just having 0 success progressing on mandatory "unclipping" scenarios. Typically downhill is fine, if I crash it isn't because of being clipped in. However, the uphill is a completely different story. Any sort of technical climb has presented itself to be a massive challenge. Any time where there is a slow, but punchy uphill over some roots, or a steep rocky bit that may require the right pedal stroke, anything that may cause the potential rear tire slippage and I need to put a foot down, I am unable to get out in time. I have taken SO many slow motion "cow-tipping" falls in the last few months. My bike has taken a total beating, as well as my arms, hands, and thighs.

I tried a pair of shimano pedals set at the LOWEST possible tension for a few days, to the point where you can feel the play while still clipped in. I still have this issue. I have switched back to my Mallets, as I like the platform and the engage/disengage feeling over the shimanos. My most recent attempt is using the "easy-release" cleats which release at 10 degrees vs 15. I'm giving those a go right now, but only have a couple rides on them with what doesn't feel like a change.

So.. am I just doomed? Is my brain just too old to adapt to the motion needed to release the cleat while in a pinch? Has anyone else had this problem persist for so long? It feels so easy to unclip when I'm thinking about it, or when I'm practicing scenarios.. I just can't seem to translate it to a point where it becomes natural. I LOVE the benefits of the pedals on the downhill, and I can't seem to get that out of my mind when thinking of switching back to flat pedals. Not to mention all of the knee pads and pants I have put holes in while getting snagged on pedals.. bahhhh! Help!

What should I be doing differently? Are there any essential things I can practice to get my muscle memory in place? Practice, practice, practice? Ow.. ow.. owwwww.

Posted: Nov 16, 2022 at 12:10 Quote
I would do track stand in grassy area, forces you to react correctly , which is heel out. Lossen your ankle as you move your leg out to release.

Posted: Nov 16, 2022 at 12:31 Quote
I’d say months is no time at all to get used to clipless pedals for mountain biking if you’ve been using flats for your whole life.

Posted: Nov 16, 2022 at 23:56 Quote
Try Shimano multi-release SPDs.

Posted: Nov 17, 2022 at 6:18 Quote
I used flats for many years, switched to Cb mallet e and Time pedals for 2years and the. back to flats. I realized I move my feet a lot and I found I just ride much more relaxed with flats

Anyway

For those technical climb bits you’re struggling? Try to lower your dropper just an inch; you’ll be surprised how much control it will give you, doesn’t matter if I’m on flats or clips, to lower the seat just a tiny bit makes all the diference, easier to wiggle the bike side to side and hop the rear wheel on that nasty rock/ root

Posted: Nov 17, 2022 at 8:33 Quote
I would just practice until you get it, it needs to be second nature. Even just going out and pedalling on the sidewalk, putting your foot in and out of the cleat until you tire of the exercise. It is not complex... just muscle memory.

O+ FL
Posted: Nov 17, 2022 at 9:59 Quote
Badler wrote:

Yeah, this is my last resort haha.

Posted: Nov 17, 2022 at 10:42 Quote
dylansmyth wrote:
Badler wrote:

Yeah, this is my last resort haha.

I'm a big fan of Time ATAC.

Posted: Nov 17, 2022 at 10:43 Quote
MT36 wrote:
I would just practice until you get it, it needs to be second nature. Even just going out and pedalling on the sidewalk, putting your foot in and out of the cleat until you tire of the exercise. It is not complex... just muscle memory.

Confidence plays a big part for me too. Even though I ride clipless every day on my commuter, I just feel more confident in my ability to jump off flats when it gets sketch.

Posted: Nov 17, 2022 at 11:01 Quote
For sure. Flats are easer to get out of. I ride flats with my BMX, and am to a point where getting out of clipless is just about as easy as taking my foot off the flats, its just a different motion... with practice it will become second nature, but yeah falling over because you can't escape your bike does suck.

FL
Posted: Nov 17, 2022 at 12:26 Quote
I recently went through this too, I wasn't exactly "falling" from being clipped in just tipping over at inopportune times because I couldn't clip out fast enough. Seemed to happen the most on technical climbs. What helped me was practicing tack stands and climbing in a slightly harder gear. You can really move the bike around when clipped in but keeping the torque available to you in a harder gear can help keep you upright when doing punchy moves up and over stuff.

I'd stick it out if you can, it took a while but now I absolutely love my mallet E's.

O+ FL
Posted: Nov 17, 2022 at 12:46 Quote
Graves14 wrote:
I recently went through this too, I wasn't exactly "falling" from being clipped in just tipping over at inopportune times because I couldn't clip out fast enough. Seemed to happen the most on technical climbs. What helped me was practicing tack stands and climbing in a slightly harder gear. You can really move the bike around when clipped in but keeping the torque available to you in a harder gear can help keep you upright when doing punchy moves up and over stuff.

I'd stick it out if you can, it took a while but now I absolutely love my mallet E's.

Thanks for this. I just had a really encouraging ride and did some of what you just mentioned. Some track stands throughout the climb in some nice dirt sections etc. Was able to unclip in a few less than perfect moments as well, felt like the first time I've seen any progress. Will take the small win haha. I definitely want to stick it out.

Posted: Nov 17, 2022 at 18:31 Quote
its going to take awhile to break in those cleats. Brand new mallets and brand new cleats is a deadly combination, but you'll learn quick. I usually grab my dremel and file a little material off on new cleats. with the pins all the way down in the mallets, the shoe should move easily with little resistance. You might just want to run the pins a little lower until you cut a grove into your shoe with them from wear.

CB does make easy release cleats, but I would advise strongly against them for anything other than road or light XC riding. any slight hip to a jump, or the smallest bit of a whip, your foot will fly out every time. I tried them after breaking my fibula and talus last year since I didn't really have the ankle mobility to unclip for about a year, and it was worse than flat pedals.

FL
Posted: Nov 18, 2022 at 13:42 Quote
I go back and forth... but seem to be preferring my flats more and more. I'd say work on your technique with flats. Anything that's bouncing you off your flats generally comes down to technique and masking that with clips isn't good for your progression as a rider.

I'm starting to only ride clips in the lead up to enduro races (get used to them again) and for enduro racing as keeping my feet, and getting my feet back, into the exact right spot every time is important while racing.... as is just being able to hammer my pedals while breathing through my eyeballs without having to worry about my feet moving.

But for general riding, I prefer my flats. I much prefer them for technical climbing, I find they give me the confidence to push to the very very edge knowing I can drop a foot in any direction in less than a split second if needed. I've never found clips help me with tech climbing anyway. I also prefer them for scary double black sketchy lines (just more confidence inspiring) and jumping... so, it seems I prefer them for most of my riding!

I also like the freedom of foot position with flats. Sometimes while climbing, I like a more ball of the foot stance and sometimes while descending I prefer a more mid-foot stance... sometimes I move between them depending on my needs and what I'm trying to do.

You don't have to ride clips... and riding flats more, forces you to work on your technique. I grew up wearing flats and so can j hop, bunny hop, manual, rear wheel lift and move my bike around on flats just fine. And anything that tends to blow my foot off my flat pedal these days would blow me out of my clips as well.

But again, for racing, when a slightly imperfect foot placement = seconds on the clock, I put my mallets back on.

O+
Posted: Nov 18, 2022 at 14:19 Quote
dylansmyth wrote:
Hey all,

Just want to get some advice on the transition to clipless pedals. I am 30 years old and have been riding mountain bikes since I was about 13 years old. I've always ridden flat pedals. Since moving to the North Shore I have experienced a lot of "foot off pedal" moments and wanted to give clipless a try. I love the benefit of them while going downhill, it allows me to make way easier shapes without worrying about my feet falling off. Albeit, I am definitely riding with less confidence still because of the following:

So...I've been riding with a pair of Mallet E LS's, for several weeks now. Probably months at this point. I am have just having 0 success progressing on mandatory "unclipping" scenarios. Typically downhill is fine, if I crash it isn't because of being clipped in. However, the uphill is a completely different story. Any sort of technical climb has presented itself to be a massive challenge. Any time where there is a slow, but punchy uphill over some roots, or a steep rocky bit that may require the right pedal stroke, anything that may cause the potential rear tire slippage and I need to put a foot down, I am unable to get out in time. I have taken SO many slow motion "cow-tipping" falls in the last few months. My bike has taken a total beating, as well as my arms, hands, and thighs.

I tried a pair of shimano pedals set at the LOWEST possible tension for a few days, to the point where you can feel the play while still clipped in. I still have this issue. I have switched back to my Mallets, as I like the platform and the engage/disengage feeling over the shimanos. My most recent attempt is using the "easy-release" cleats which release at 10 degrees vs 15. I'm giving those a go right now, but only have a couple rides on them with what doesn't feel like a change.

So.. am I just doomed? Is my brain just too old to adapt to the motion needed to release the cleat while in a pinch? Has anyone else had this problem persist for so long? It feels so easy to unclip when I'm thinking about it, or when I'm practicing scenarios.. I just can't seem to translate it to a point where it becomes natural. I LOVE the benefits of the pedals on the downhill, and I can't seem to get that out of my mind when thinking of switching back to flat pedals. Not to mention all of the knee pads and pants I have put holes in while getting snagged on pedals.. bahhhh! Help!

What should I be doing differently? Are there any essential things I can practice to get my muscle memory in place? Practice, practice, practice? Ow.. ow.. owwwww.

although ive ridden bikes my whole life i took a hiatus in most of my 20s and most of my 30s, only recreationally riding for a year in my late 20s.

i started riding gravel 3 years ago on clips, ate shit a few times....siked myself out and clipped out early on some tech climbs...etc etc....started single track only 2 years ago. started with flats and went to clips shortly after starting. definite confidence issues on higher skinnies....but overall, i feel safer on clips than flats. rarely is clipping out an issue now. haing said that, you probably ride harder stuff than me. i stick to the blues mostly in northshore and the odd black

it does take a while. the only thing I'm still not great at is getting back into the clips on a technical section with no room to get rolling before I clip in.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008220
Mobile Version of Website