Powered by Outside

Open discussion on 3-D printed MTB items.

PB Forum :: Bike-related 3D Printing
Open discussion on 3-D printed MTB items.
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Jan 11, 2023 at 12:29 Quote
Welcome everybody to this informative thread. Hoping to create a place for all of us to come learn, share, design, discuss and expand our minds in the world of 3-D printing. 3-D printing has come along way with features and filaments and with the introduction of carbon fiber nylon is creating lots of paths of travel in the MTB world. Looking forward to seeing your creations and thoughts.

I’m still new to CAD designs but I’m always hungry for knowledge and any tips, tricks or recommendations.

Print your way to freedom. tup

Mod
Posted: Jan 11, 2023 at 12:48 Quote
subbed and have a dumb question. can you 3d print headset and cassette spacers?

O+
Posted: Jan 11, 2023 at 12:55 Quote
mior wrote:

I definitely have seen CAD files to print spacers for Shimano 10 speeds, also have seen the files to print the headset spacers and even the top caps but have not found one yet for the headset itself.

Mod
Posted: Jan 11, 2023 at 12:56 Quote
krumpdancer101 wrote:
mior wrote:

I definitely have seen CAD files to print spacers for Shimano 10 speeds, also have seen the files to print the headset spacers and even the top caps but have not found one yet for the headset itself.
meant headset spacers

Posted: Jan 11, 2023 at 13:11 Quote
Seth has made and posted some things. Don't know if he's downloading existing files or creating himself or both. The link is for one video, but he has a few and his recent titanium bike build he printed some camera and tool holders. See around the 2:20 mark.

O+
Posted: Jan 11, 2023 at 13:44 Quote
Wow that video definitely gave me ideas. A little more engineering and maybe different materials would work. Now with the dual extruder printers, you could definitely combine materials at different points of the slice to create different flex and stiffness points.

Posted: Jan 11, 2023 at 13:46 Quote
krumpdancer101 wrote:
Wow that video definitely gave me ideas. A little more engineering and maybe different materials would work. Now with the dual extruder printers, you could definitely combine materials at different points of the slice to create different flex and stiffness points.

Definitely different materials. That first video is mostly just goofy. He does some interesting things in his other edits.

O+
Posted: Jan 11, 2023 at 14:00 Quote
BenLow2019 wrote:
krumpdancer101 wrote:

Definitely different materials. That first video is mostly just goofy. He does some interesting things in his other edits.

I subscribed and will definitely check him out.

O+
Posted: Jan 12, 2023 at 12:14 Quote
I have 3D printed the lower pivot bushing for my TREK Remedy 9.8 Carbon. The original alum bushings had to come out for a stupid and unnecessary reason. But I destroyed them in the process. The replacement bushings were 3D printed with aluminum using the "sintering" process. Cost me $25ea for the left/right bushing. They are solid and I do not expect these will ever fatigue or break. They are as solid as the factory bushings. However, the lower pivot bushing does not take high impack or rotational force.
If I had a high impact/stress area like a swing bar, I would be hesitant to 3D print this part and rely on it.
By the way, my local service guy can print in alum, stainless steel, steel, carbon fiber, ABS, and a lot more.

https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/23823285/

O+
Posted: Jan 12, 2023 at 12:26 Quote
Markjonesf18 wrote:
I have 3D printed the lower pivot bushing for my TREK Remedy 9.8 Carbon. The original alum bushings had to come out for a stupid and unnecessary reason. But I destroyed them in the process. The replacement bushings were 3D printed with aluminum using the "sintering" process. Cost me $25ea for the left/right bushing. They are solid and I do not expect these will ever fatigue or break. They are as solid as the factory bushings. However, the lower pivot bushing does not take high impack or rotational force.
If I had a high impact/stress area like a swing bar, I would be hesitant to 3D print this part and rely on it.
By the way, my local service guy can print in alum, stainless steel, steel, carbon fiber, ABS, and a lot more.

https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/23823285/

I haven’t done any 3-D printing with aluminum yet, but I have seen that process done before and it was pretty interesting. That’s amazing that you were able to do that and must’ve felt good at the end knowing you built that part.

O+
Posted: Jan 15, 2023 at 19:31 Quote
Subbed.
And I’d like to see if i can find someone local to print mounts for old LX thumb shifters that are integrated with brake leavers. I want to use the shifters and ditch the leavers.

Posted: Jan 18, 2023 at 13:44 Quote
I've done BB spacers, which are awfully close to cassette spacers. Finally retuned the 3d printer and she's working pretty well (Ender 3 with S1 hotend). Looking around for some other things to print, but not sure there is too much beyond my Garmin and light mounts. Maybe an airtag under seat mount.

Did print a Rancher from 3d Sets, so I'm comfortable with the reliability / durability of the prints in various plastics.

Mod
Posted: Jan 18, 2023 at 13:48 Quote
it would be cool to make custom mounts to mount a shifter or dropper to a brake lever

Posted: Jan 20, 2023 at 11:45 Quote
mior wrote:
it would be cool to make custom mounts to mount a shifter or dropper to a brake lever

Like mount to an existing brake lever, or design a brake lever with integral dropper/shifter? Is the purpose to reduce clutter on the bars? What about a shifter/dropper mount that straddles the brake clamp?

Mod
Posted: Jan 20, 2023 at 11:50 Quote
Wheels1758 wrote:
mior wrote:

Like mount to an existing brake lever, or design a brake lever with integral dropper/shifter? Is the purpose to reduce clutter on the bars? What about a shifter/dropper mount that straddles the brake clamp?
i mean like a custom matchmaker/ispec for small hands or odd hands

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009889
Mobile Version of Website