Powered by Outside

Bring back the Enduro! (Post your Specialized Enduros)

PB Forum :: Post Your Ride
Bring back the Enduro! (Post your Specialized Enduros)
  • Previous Page
Posted: Apr 12, 2008 at 14:03 Quote
The enduro used to be known for its great versatility. I've seen as many freeride orientated enduros as I have trail orientated ones. The great thing about it was that it has a tough frame, a good amount of travel, and the ability to be built to fit any riding style.

this year, specialized got rid of the enduro, and replaced it with this:
photo

The enduro SL, is a closed platform. You are stuck with the air shock and you are stuck with the weird fork and hub. I'm not saying that this is a bad thing, they are quite nice components, I'm just saying it's more of a niche product with little room for upgrades and customization.

I've seen the new enduro SL at my LBS and it looks a lot beefier than the picture would have you believe, but I'm not convinced that it can handle the rigors of freeriding like the old enduro could. It's a great bike for trail riders, but no one else.

The enduro was in direct competition with the giant reign x, santa cruz nomad, and other multi-purpose bikes. Since they got rid of it, Specialized no longer has a product that caters to that market.

Last year, specialized sold both the enduro, and the enduro SL side by side. I don't understand why they can't continue to do so.

#BANS

Posted: Apr 12, 2008 at 14:06 Quote
yeah they should bring it back I love my enduro you can use one for everything freeride, downhill ,xc and dirt jumps a real do everything bike

Posted: Apr 12, 2008 at 14:23 Quote
haha reason they cant do that ne more is cause the people who have bought enduros in the past arent buying them ne more cause they arent breaking. if they broke more often they could keep selling the bike

Posted: Apr 12, 2008 at 14:41 Quote
evanmott wrote:
haha reason they cant do that ne more is cause the people who have bought enduros in the past arent buying them ne more cause they arent breaking. if they broke more often they could keep selling the bike
haha, i might end up working for a spesh dealer over the summer, but they don't carry any bikes i want... i would've wanted an enduro

Posted: Apr 12, 2008 at 22:59 Quote
Why are you stuck with the fork and shock that's on it? I am a Specialized dealer, and I have an Enduro SL Expert. I also believe they should have left it alone. But this frame is super light, and I am taking the bs fork and shock off and replacing them both. They need to stay away from the proprietory shock market and stick with making bikes. I am going to spec mine with a Fox DHX 5.0 and either a Marzocchi 55 or 66? Not sure yet. I will post when I get it set up...

Posted: Apr 12, 2008 at 23:02 Quote
ragus3 wrote:
Why are you stuck with the fork and shock that's on it? I am a Specialized dealer, and I have an Enduro SL Expert. I also believe they should have left it alone. But this frame is super light, and I am taking the bs fork and shock off and replacing them both. They need to stay away from the proprietory shock market and stick with making bikes. I am going to spec mine with a Fox DHX 5.0 and either a Marzocchi 55 or 66? Not sure yet. I will post when I get it set up...
the frame was built around that suspension as opposed to vice versa. hell, you might even void your warranty if you do that

Posted: Apr 12, 2008 at 23:06 Quote
AqueousBeef wrote:
ragus3 wrote:
the frame was built around that suspension as opposed to vice versa. hell, you might even void your warranty if you do that

As long as the eye to eye and stroke length are the same (on the rear shock) there is no problem . The only thing a longer travel fork is going to due is slacken the HT angle. And its not going to void the warranty.

Posted: Apr 12, 2008 at 23:09 Quote
Have you rode one yet? We had a test bike for one and we bagged the hell out of it. We rode it all winter, we took it DH'ing, we bashed it off rocks, off drops, ladder bridges. Straight-up beat the hell out of it.

The only problem we had was the travel adjuster, it wouldn't adjust after a big hit. We had to tear the fork apart and we just broke a little clip. Once we fixed that we were good to go.

Also that hub system up front is super stiff. I agree 100% they should not limit the use of other components. Although the nice thing about the Proprietary stuff is that all we do as a LBS is just send it back and they send us a new one.

The fork with the "spike" valve works amazing. This bike is a much more competitive bike to the nomad and the likes. The old Enduro was way to heavy. It was just an SX with an Air-shock and a slightly lighter frame. Everyone was buying them and breaking them, so they built a different bike, which is way lighter a much better design (no stupid interrupted seat-post design), and from what we can tell bomb-proof. that old enduro was lame IMO, it was just boring and I hated how it rode. This new one is much more versatile and pedals like a machine.

Posted: Apr 12, 2008 at 23:12 Quote
bonfire wrote:
Have you rode one yet? We had a test bike for one and we bagged the hell out of it. We rode it all winter, we took it DH'ing, we bashed it off rocks, off drops, ladder bridges. Straight-up beat the hell out of it.

The only problem we had was the travel adjuster, it wouldn't adjust after a big hit. We had to tear the fork apart and we just broke a little clip. Once we fixed that we were good to go.

Also that hub system up front is super stiff. I agree 100% they should not limit the use of other components. Although the nice thing about the Proprietary stuff is that all we do as a LBS is just send it back and they send us a new one.

The fork with the "spike" valve works amazing. This bike is a much more competitive bike to the nomad and the likes. The old Enduro was way to heavy. It was just an SX with an Air-shock and a slightly lighter frame. Everyone was buying them and breaking them, so they built a different bike, which is way lighter a much better design (no stupid interrupted seat-post design), and from what we can tell bomb-proof. that old enduro was lame IMO, it was just boring and I hated how it rode. This new one is much more versatile and pedals like a machine.
i'll take your word for it

FL
Posted: Apr 12, 2008 at 23:14 Quote
ya i test rode one of the new ones. keep the Brain on only xc bikes

photo

I still love the ride of my 04 though

Posted: Apr 12, 2008 at 23:29 Quote
bonfire wrote:

It is a nice ride, but I am not happy with the rear shock at all. Its developed a annoying skwak noise and its going... Personally I think a dual crown fork on a trail bike is overkill. Especially with the technology that's been added into all the new single crown forks. The turning radius is a limiting facter as well. But all in all its sick. I am going to add some spice to mine and "MAKE IT MINE" ya know. Thats what its all about. And I think that Specialized should know this by now. There are very few riders out there that keep their bikes stock. Riders get very partial to certain parts. I second that this bike can take a beating though! The Wheel set should have been a little stiffer. Railing corners can feel a little like a wet noodle. (In the rear) The fronts fine. It Climbs like a goat!

Posted: Apr 12, 2008 at 23:49 Quote
the frame was built around that suspension as opposed to vice versa. hell, you might even void your warranty if you do that[/Quote]

I am aware of why and how the frame was built around the platform Specialized is using. But you have to remember that all frame manufactuers use the same principals when designing frames. ie, shock length/stroke, leverage ratio, crown to axle height, BB Drop. etc. Its all numbers. If they are matched correctly, you can change the components. The only difference is going to be how the shock and fork that replaces the OEM parts reacts or performs. I'll let you guy's know how it works after I Modify it. Who know's I might be completely jacking it up. But I am sure it's going to be fine...Wink

Posted: Apr 12, 2008 at 23:51 Quote
ragus3 wrote:
I am aware of why and how the frame was built around the platform Specialized is using. But you have to remember that all frame manufactuers use the same principals when designing frames. ie, shock length/stroke, leverage ratio, crown to axle height, BB Drop. etc. Its all numbers. If they are matched correctly, you can change the components. The only difference is going to be how the shock and fork that replaces the OEM parts reacts or performs. I'll let you guy's know how it works after I Modify it. Who know's I might be completely jacking it up. But I am sure it's going to be fine...Wink

Do you know if you can even get shocks the same as the stock Enduro SL shock's stroke/i2i?

Posted: Apr 12, 2008 at 23:53 Quote
The whole "suspension designed for frame" thing is marketing BS. There are a set of parameters that all modern suspension works within if it wants to work half way decent. This is pretty much the same range for all frames. Modern shocks have a wide enough adjustment range to be adaptable to a HUGE variety of frames. There is zero benefit to designing those parts together over working within the established parameters.

Posted: Apr 12, 2008 at 23:54 Quote
Well the whole reason for the Double crown was stiffness. They just could not find/build a fork stiff enough, without it being stupid heavy or very expensive. Therefor the DC makes it a light front end yet stiff and strong as hell.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.031548
Mobile Version of Website