Powered by Outside

Help Me Buy A Cell Phone

PB Forum :: Off-Topic
Help Me Buy A Cell Phone
  • Previous Page
Posted: Oct 11, 2007 at 20:20 Quote
ok, i live in canada, so theres no AT&T and all that, so what cell?, and what company should i get, plans are also a good suggestion

im 15, and need to call people maybe 3 times a day, for an average of 3 minutes, no budget, let me know, and i have a job, so i can pay monthly

thanks

Posted: Oct 11, 2007 at 20:23 Quote
Don't buy a plan for a fancy phone. Go with a company that offers the best coverage area and plan. Here where I am I could have gone with Rogers and gotten a really nice fancy phone like the Chocolate or something like that, but Rogers service area blows in North Western Ontario. Instead I went with the local company and a slightly less as nice phone and got a much better coverage area

Posted: Oct 11, 2007 at 22:55 Quote
Rory, go with a pay as you go with Virgin, theres a few phones to choose from, easy to change your plan type(can explain on msn or at school better if you want?) and there service is great, I know people at school who are on Rogers and Telus who really don't like anything about it.
I also did the same thing before I bought my phone, checked out pretty much any company.

Posted: Oct 11, 2007 at 23:06 Quote
Telus.

Pay as you go can get expensive, you go over your minutes that you have paid for, or if you text more.

Like i got my phone and i was like,pffft texting that is soo gay. but it appears that everyday i use it more and more. Hell i text to my parents about things. I pay $40 a month, i get unlimited texting, 100minutes of talk, voice mail, and a crazy service area.

I have the LG 6160fast-tap cool phone, i want a new one but mine for texting is sick!
I kinda want an Iphone or a crackberry just too big.

Posted: Oct 12, 2007 at 23:32 Quote
You definately shouldn't be wasting your money on a monthly plan if you only plan on using your cellphone three times a day. Pay as you go is the way to go.

You can get 10 or 15 with most service providers, calls are usually 30c a min, texts are usually 10-15c a min, and there's no activation, cancellation, or contracts (usually). That way, if you run out of money or decide you don't need a phone, you just sell it.

Right now my boss lent me the new Samsung M220 or whatever, the new double-sided phone with mp3 player. It's wicked. Telus is an amazing company, and their coverage is actually crazy. My phone works where my dad's Rogers blackberry doesn't, and telus is supposed to only work in the city. And telus' customer service is super good too.

I'm buying my own phone for pay as you go though, and I'm thinking of going with Virgin, simply because their calling and texting rates are cheaper than MTS and a few other companies I've looked at, and the phone I really like is way cheaper than one of equal value at MTS, or any other network. I plan on getting 15$ cards, usually once a month, and spending 5 bucks of that on a texting plan (5 bucks per card for like 100 texts or something like that), so it's worth it.

By the way, to the guy that said he's on Telus paying 40 bucks a month, you're definately getting screwed. The plan on my loaner phone is 15$ a month, and I get 250 weekday minutes, call waiting, display, voice mail 3, and unlimited weekends and evenings start at 6pm. It's amazing, and called Super Talk 15 if anyone wants to know.

-JayC.

O+
Posted: Oct 13, 2007 at 9:28 Quote
Go with either Telus or Bell. Stay far away from rogers and fido because they don't have the large service area if you're ever out of town. Get one of the cheapest plans. You may think you'll only be making a couple phone calls a day but you may be surprise with how much you'll use it. Everyone I know that uses pay as you do ends up paying way more than they would with a plan.
Try to avoid the 3 year contract. More than likely you'll want a new phone in a couple of years or if you're like me end up breaking or loosing your phone.
Don't get anything too fancy. Keep in mind all phones these days will text and make calls. The more extra features they have the more things there are to break.

Posted: Oct 13, 2007 at 10:16 Quote
As far as the actual phone goes DONT BUY A RAZR Just read reviews on the internet about them their terrible, I have one too. I have to charge it everynight, the 5,6, left arrowm, down volume, and centre button doesnt work, I even sent it in for 6 weeks the only thing they did was give me the game bejeweled they didnt even fix the buttonsReally Mad just please, get something simpple.

Posted: Oct 13, 2007 at 11:17 Quote
markewich wrote:
As far as the actual phone goes DONT BUY A RAZR Just read reviews on the internet about them their terrible, I have one too. I have to charge it everynight, the 5,6, left arrowm, down volume, and centre button doesnt work, I even sent it in for 6 weeks the only thing they did was give me the game bejeweled they didnt even fix the buttonsReally Mad just please, get something simpple.

I've got one, its fine.
Never had problems with it,

O+
Posted: Oct 13, 2007 at 11:33 Quote
markewich wrote:

I know a lot of people that have had problems with it. My broker had some numbers that quit working and my other friend has it die on her half way through the day and she charges it every night.

Posted: Oct 13, 2007 at 12:42 Quote
i've got a razr (got it for 30 bucks with a plan with a company that has really good coverage, so its all good) and i haven''t had a problem with it yet. i've had it for almost a year and yeah, i can leave it on for max 5 days (without calling one die), and then the battery dies, and its about half of that if i make a few calls here and there.

other then the battery life sucking, everything else is fine. i don't use the phone for anything else but calling people and as an alarm, so its fine for me. i've only broke it once ( a few days after i got it, bailed on a box in a terrain park at a ski hill, the thing between the box and my phone happened to be my razr) but Bell (the company i got it from) replaced it for free.

i take quite a lot of care of the phone, making sure not to drop it and such. if you are light with your razr, it will last.

Posted: Oct 13, 2007 at 14:21 Quote
Wes-Barber wrote:
markewich wrote:

I've got one, its fine.
Never had problems with it,

yeh but I also got mine a loooong time ago and I take really good care of it, yours is probably still new.

Posted: Oct 13, 2007 at 14:27 Quote
ROGERS

TREO 600 OFF EBAY UNLOCKED ($150), TOUCH SCREEN, BROWSER, FREE MP3 RING TONES, FREE GAMES

$18.00 BUSINESS PLAN, 200 ANYTIME MINUTES

Posted: Oct 13, 2007 at 18:21 Quote
ive heard mixed opinions about phones, and from what ive heard here, im gonna get a cheap one that works, a buddy of mine told me that if u bike with it, dont get a fancy one, spend the money on bikes, so i am.

i think ill just go with pay as you, if it doseant work out, ill just get a plan

Posted: Oct 13, 2007 at 18:28 Quote
Yeah i've got my fancy LG Chocolate and a little brick of a Nokia for riding, just gotta switch over SIM cards before and after rides. I'd kill someone if my LG was hurt, so having an indestructible riding phone is always handy Smile

O+
Posted: Oct 13, 2007 at 18:31 Quote
if you really want to save money with prepaid, try beyond GSM. i use them, they use cingular/AT&T towers so great service. they have phones that you can purchase, some nice ones, and some old yet burly ones that won't die while riding.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013287
Mobile Version of Website