Powered by Outside

DH racing flat's or clipless

PB Forum :: Downhill
DH racing flat's or clipless
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jun 5, 2008 at 18:24 Quote
hello i have just switched over to clipless pedals for dh what do you ride and what is personal preferance and why?

Posted: Jun 5, 2008 at 18:26 Quote
if your a single crown you just eliminated many tricks

O+ FL
Posted: Jun 5, 2008 at 18:28 Quote
I feel more confident on flats, I havent really rode much on clips so im not very used to it. I just get gnarly flats with huge grippy pins haha. IM thinking about clips but i also like to get off the ground on my trail DH rides, how are they for high speed jumps???

O+
Posted: Jun 5, 2008 at 18:34 Quote
i always ride flats never really had any probs

O+
Posted: Jun 6, 2008 at 20:41 Quote
i prefer shimano just for the solid feeling they have over eggbeater style pedals. Get something with a wide base

Posted: Jun 6, 2008 at 20:42 Quote
gatoriswhite wrote:
if your a single crown you just eliminated many tricks

Umm, he's riding DH, not doing tricks over lipped jumps....

Anyways, I roll with flats, cause I'm a dodgey rider still, and like to be able to throw a foot out for corners or when things start getting zesty for balance.

Posted: Jun 6, 2008 at 20:45 Quote
flats, just get the biggest ones you can find with screws, paint them gold and stick em on. i always ride flats and my feet feel like they are glued to the pedals (in a good way)

Posted: Jun 6, 2008 at 21:37 Quote
for DH racing, i'm always clipped in. i run crank bro's mallets with their premium cleat. they're amazing. always there when i need them, and they've never given out on me. i've never had my foot get stuck and not be able to un clip. i've had falls that wouldn't have been as bad if i wasn't clipped in, but i don't think i would have been going fast enough to fall if i was on flats.

Posted: Jun 6, 2008 at 21:41 Quote
i like to have flats (5050xx with massive pins) because it feels safer knowing your not "straped down" to your bike.

Posted: Jun 6, 2008 at 21:44 Quote
i have rode both and i prefer clips because of the added control you have over your bike, you can rly feel the diffrence when you are riding, the bike feels like a part of you.

flats is more fun, you can stick out your foot on a turn or just f*ck around,

it just depends on what feeling you like, stuck or free

Posted: Jun 6, 2008 at 21:48 Quote
awais wrote:
i like to have flats (5050xx with massive pins) because it feels safer knowing your not "straped down" to your bike.
Some of us feel more secure that way, knowing our feet can't slip or bounce off the pedals.

Posted: Jun 6, 2008 at 21:48 Quote
aniyn wrote:
awais wrote:
Some of us feel more secure that way, knowing our feet can't slip or bounce off the pedals.

hmmm thats tru but if you fall the bikes going with you. isnt it?

Posted: Jun 6, 2008 at 21:49 Quote
one more thing. start out doing xc clipped in. if you feel comfortable there, then move onto DH. and start out on the easiest trails and move your way up. once you get really comfortable clipped in, you can really feel the difference when your pedaling. i can start just as fast if not faster on my DH bike than some of the guys at the super d races on XC bikes with flats. and i can spring so much harder. since pulling up on the pedals uses different muscles than pushing down, it doesn't make your legs anymore tired. but you can get so much more power.

Posted: Jun 6, 2008 at 22:02 Quote
thatdownhillkid wrote:
one more thing. start out doing xc clipped in. if you feel comfortable there, then move onto DH. and start out on the easiest trails and move your way up. once you get really comfortable clipped in, you can really feel the difference when your pedaling. i can start just as fast if not faster on my DH bike than some of the guys at the super d races on XC bikes with flats. and i can spring so much harder. since pulling up on the pedals uses different muscles than pushing down, it doesn't make your legs anymore tired. but you can get so much more power.

pshhh throw on some clips for the first time on the hardest trail u can find, you will learn how to unclip quickly

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.025076
Mobile Version of Website