Powered by Outside

does a 10mm standard bolt axle make your rear triangle much stiffer than the standard qr skewer

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
does a 10mm standard bolt axle make your rear triangle much stiffer than the standard qr skewer
  • Previous Page
Posted: Aug 26, 2008 at 9:44 Quote
i have a 06 coiler with qr wheel, and was wondering if removing the qr and fitting a 10mm axel with bolts would be worth it?

Posted: Aug 26, 2008 at 9:47 Quote
not worth it dont bother

Posted: Aug 26, 2008 at 10:05 Quote
iowrider wrote:
not worth it dont bother

Why is that?
You must have a reason for saying that it wouldnt be better.

We need to look at the variables here. First off, what kind of riding do you do?
Secondly, have you run into issues with your qr loosening off or anything that would require an altercation or need to change it?

Bolt on axels are much stronger, not only just for the structural portion of it (axle), but for the tension you can apply to it. Why do you think we run maxle's?
It basically combines the 2 aspects. You get bolt through tension, with the reliable "back pressure" of the skewer.

Now, if you had 10mm bolt on axle in your wheel, technically it should make it stronger. QR wheels rely on the internal axle which is hollow, meaning its fairly weak. 10mm axles are usually hollow (weight issues), but have been encorperated into the hub as the main axle body, meaning its a 1 piece item, instead of a 2 piece qr/axel.

Really, bolt on axles are stronger, but a bit more of a hassle. Be prepared to bring along a wrench incase of flat tires.

Posted: Aug 26, 2008 at 12:10 Quote
Looks like spoiledgoods covered everything. It really depends on what sort of riding you do. Ive noticed by switching from a QR to a bolt on, the bolt on is much stiffer.

Posted: Aug 26, 2008 at 15:26 Quote
i do dh/fr and like a stiff rear end i dont care about weight. so the bolt thru is stiffer but which makes the rear stiffer. i thought about putting a large spacer between the bolt and dropout for a larger surface area making it stiffer?

Posted: Aug 26, 2008 at 16:04 Quote
mikolite wrote:
i do dh/fr and like a stiff rear end i dont care about weight. so the bolt thru is stiffer but which makes the rear stiffer. i thought about putting a large spacer between the bolt and dropout for a larger surface area making it stiffer?

Most shops should apply that bolt with your bolt on axle, however if not i would highly suggest it. Not only does it help distribute the pressure better, but it saves your dropout from getting mangled by the bolt. (something bmx'ers see often).

Posted: Aug 28, 2008 at 5:18 Quote
so u think the spacer is a good idea?

Posted: Aug 28, 2008 at 10:30 Quote
mikolite wrote:

Well spacer, I am talking about a little washer.
But yes, it is a good idea, if you have the axle space to spare.

Posted: Aug 30, 2008 at 20:52 Quote
qr is very weak i went bolt on and love it

Posted: Aug 30, 2008 at 21:05 Quote
Hubs that have alen key bolts that thread into the hub, are better...nutted axles are shit and heavy.

O+
Posted: Aug 30, 2008 at 21:07 Quote
spoiledgoods wrote:
mikolite wrote:

Well spacer, I am talking about a little washer.
But yes, it is a good idea, if you have the axle space to spare.
rather than a washer you can go to any hardware store and get a gripping washer, it has an expanded surface on the gripping surface doing the same thing as a washer but it bites into the surface holding it there better

Posted: Aug 30, 2008 at 21:08 Quote
Quite noticeable, I'd recommend you get the 10mm axle.

Posted: Sep 8, 2008 at 18:15 Quote
definitely bolt on is stronger. you could get and atom lab hub or wheel they use bolts that use either a 5 or 6 mm allen to take on and off which you should have when riding anyway.

Posted: Apr 20, 2009 at 10:45 Quote
anyone know if you can run a quick release instead of a 10mm axle on a horizontal dropout frame? will it be sufficient to hold wheel and keep chain tight?
as have to take wheel of alot and fed up of 10mm bolts getting rounded and the time to take them on and off!

Posted: Apr 20, 2009 at 10:49 Quote
for the best of both worlds get the dt swiss 10mm axle with the ratchet system super stiff and easy to use

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012026
Mobile Version of Website