how to build a wooden wall ride or wooden burm

PB Forum :: Trail Building
how to build a wooden wall ride or wooden burm
  • Previous Page
Posted: Sep 6, 2008 at 22:12 Quote
there is a trail behind my house and i keep slipping out, and loosing speed on this one corner so i want to build a wooden burm or wooden wall ride. how do i build one

Posted: Sep 6, 2008 at 22:38 Quote
i did the same thing i took i put the peices side by side in the shape of the berm make sure u do it lenght wise up so u can make the form of it easyer then i super glued it togetherproped it up steadaly
youl want to use 2 by 4s about a fot long then put 2 or three stacks on the tops to make it taller make sure u get that part steady to i used long peices of wood to hold it up u can use nails to
wut ever u prefer

Posted: Sep 6, 2008 at 22:40 Quote
tp23datsme wrote:
i did the same thing i took i put the peices side by side in the shape of the berm make sure u do it lenght wise up so u can make the form of it easyer then i super glued it togetherproped it up steadaly
youl want to use 2 by 4s about a fot long then put 2 or three stacks on the tops to make it taller make sure u get that part steady to i used long peices of wood to hold it up u can use nails to
wut ever u prefer
you know he might get more out of that post if it was written in english

Posted: Sep 10, 2008 at 10:39 Quote
Build your berm from the ground up cause that's where all the blending has to come from for the turn to be nice and smooth. rack out a bunch of 1x1 or 2x1 which ever you prefer, you can even go 2x4s but they are really hard to blend, out length wise vertical to the ground with two fingers spacing between each so you should have them almost standing on end in a semi circle around the corner so you get an idea of how long you want to make the berm(these will be the planks that you ride on). You want the beginning of the berm to start before the corner so that you can catch it early and lean hard to gain speed by pumping through it. for the frame you should start at about 8 inches high on each end and peak it at about 2 or 2.5 feet in the center section using 2x4s for strength. for a good berm you should tilt up the high side so its about 2.5 feet vertical this means that the center planks that you will be riding on will be almost three feet long to ensure that you have a good tight angle. after that dig out the dirt around the bottom of the berm to seat it into the ground so it doesn't move and cover the front blending the dirt onto the berm so that the transition is smooth. And make sure that you use screws cause mails pull out after too many rides.

Posted: Sep 15, 2008 at 19:34 Quote
photo

hope this helps

Posted: Sep 15, 2008 at 22:35 Quote
PHIL198 wrote:
photo

hope this helps

thats a mighty big burm lol

Posted: Sep 16, 2008 at 5:51 Quote
I do wood dirt combo's, check one of my video clips has one. super smooth, its really mostly dirt but wooden structure.

Posted: Sep 16, 2008 at 14:09 Quote
PHIL198 wrote:
*SNIP* hope this helps

That is really nice wood work! Sick berm!

Posted: Sep 26, 2010 at 12:46 Quote
PHIL198 wrote:
photo

hope this helps

OMG THATS AMAZING!!
PLEASE tell how you made it!!
THanks dude

Posted: Jun 28, 2011 at 11:59 Quote
You fail at spelling and typing
tp23datsme wrote:
wut ever u prefer

Posted: Jun 28, 2011 at 12:19 Quote
i imagine the guy who made this thread has a berm by now, it was 3 years ago, and someone already stated that he's shit at typing

Posted: Oct 8, 2012 at 21:55 Quote
I am actully looking to build something of the same. But the picture of the wooden berm on this thread is smaller and not steep enough for what iam wanting. I have a section of 3 jumps at our trails that after each you gain a whole lot of speed and its slighlty downhill, then berm that turns to the right. I want a wooden berm/wallride but iam not sure how to build.
Whats the best way to build one of these?
Also how do you get a good curvature along the whole berm?
Most building materials 2x4's and such are straight, How do i make a structure with consistent curve and good bracing on a 20ft berm? Does anyone have a picture of a wooden berm bracing structure?? That would be the most help.
Something very similar to this one. https://ep1.pinkbike.org/p4pb2530175/p4pb2530175.jpg
photo
Thanks
-Ryan

Posted: Apr 28, 2016 at 15:07 Quote
unless youre elevating it up off the ground, theres no reason to have a 10' wood berm like in that photo. especially when you could have the same angle berm with the dirt below it.
its also a lot easier to fix a dirt berm if you f*ck it up...

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.017819
Mobile Version of Website