Powered by Outside

Getting in shape for DH.

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Getting in shape for DH.
  • Previous Page
Posted: Sep 14, 2008 at 18:30 Quote
What training should I do to get in shape for the 09 DH season?

Posted: Sep 15, 2008 at 16:18 Quote
any one have any ideas

FL
Posted: Sep 15, 2008 at 16:25 Quote
Ride Dh. Thats really the best thing but just riding anywhere you can, running for conditioning, riding hills! Whatever else

Posted: Sep 15, 2008 at 16:28 Quote
The best way to get into shape would be to ride as much as you can, not only are you getting into shape you become a more skilled rider.

Posted: Sep 15, 2008 at 16:31 Quote
eblackwell wrote:
Ride Dh. Thats really the best thing but just riding anywhere you can, running for conditioning, riding hills! Whatever else
ride your dh bike like an xc bike.... ride it everywhere over everything.... better technique=better shape= better performance spend as much time on your rig as possible

Posted: Sep 15, 2008 at 16:35 Quote
is there anything i can do for muscle strength and could I use a stationary bike.

Posted: Sep 15, 2008 at 16:37 Quote
Spend some time in the gym. There's been a few magazine write ups last winter on winter fitness routines. Squats are definately important, but abs and shoulders are often overlooked. Also, spend some time on a trainer or excercise bike, and do 20:40 sprint intervals of 20 seconds sprint in a harder gear and 40 seconds normal pace in an average gear for 3 to 5 minutes doing 3 sets in a ride. Eventually try working your way up to trying 45:15. You will die. They are awful, but work extremely well.

Posted: Sep 15, 2008 at 16:41 Quote
nlitworld wrote:
Spend some time in the gym. There's been a few magazine write ups last winter on winter fitness routines. Squats are definately important, but abs and shoulders are often overlooked. Also, spend some time on a trainer or excercise bike, and do 20:40 sprint intervals of 20 seconds sprint in a harder gear and 40 seconds normal pace in an average gear for 3 to 5 minutes doing 3 sets in a ride. Eventually try working your way up to trying 45:15. You will die. They are awful, but work extremely well.

ok thanks that helped a lot any thing else I should do?

Posted: Sep 15, 2008 at 16:42 Quote
i just ride my xc bikes on the road for 45 minutes.

Posted: Sep 15, 2008 at 16:43 Quote
i am also very interested in this as i was out all season due to injury

Posted: Sep 15, 2008 at 16:54 Quote
Downhiller-92 wrote:
ok thanks that helped a lot any thing else I should do?

If your parents or you have the money for a cheap gym membership, I'd recommend it. If you can afford a couple sessions with a trainer, then even better. Tell them what you're looking for and they will come up with a routine for you, then all you have to do is remember it all. As far as good excercises, you don't want to necessarily bulk up, especially upper body. Work out doing sets of 20-30 reps back to back instead of maxing out at 8 reps. Spend a bit of time on the treadmill, and especially a stair climber. Those will kick your ass into shape. Rowing machine is a very good one also. Swimming is a given. So taxing and works most every muscle group, and is especially good with controlling your breathing. Just don't wear a speedo. Nobody likes a guy in a speedo. Another thing to remember is to mix up your routine every 2-3 weeks. Your body naturally gets used to a certain excercise routine so you have to change it up to keep getting the same effects.

P.S. I used to go to the gym, but then I quit cause I was broke and lazy. My advice is strictly what worked pretty good for me, and certainly not the rules to live by.

Posted: Sep 15, 2008 at 17:00 Quote
Downhiller-92 wrote:
What training should I do to get in shape for the 09 DH season?

yo man my advice, run alot. run like 3-5 miles at once at first, then up it until you can run 10 miles in under an hour. meanwhile, life weights man. i'm not talking about benching like 120, but do 21's with anything from a 10 lb to a 30 lb weight. that's what i do, and my times are ridiculous.

Posted: Sep 17, 2008 at 12:41 Quote
lol 120 isnt that much to bench dude.

Posted: Sep 17, 2008 at 12:43 Quote
Kadin wrote:
lol 120 isnt that much to bench dude.

hay man it might not be for you but I can bench that and I only weight 115 pounds so i think that is a good weight for me.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011746
Mobile Version of Website