O-Cup

• Previous Page
Posted: Oct 26, 2007 at 19:08 Quote
hi, i really want to start racing dh, and i live in ontairio so id be doing ocup races. i was thinking of getting a transition bottlerocket, and was wondering if it would hold up. i dont want to get a full on dh bike with a dc because most of the trails i live near are more all mountain and i think the bottlerocket would be good there as well. so what do ou think? would it survive?

Posted: Oct 26, 2007 at 19:23 Quote
Thats not what comes to mind for me when you say DH .. think burlier .. but not to tank becuase ontario isnt that beef... just something more .. downhill... not slopetyle

Posted: Oct 26, 2007 at 19:25 Quote
ok what would you suggest?

Posted: Oct 26, 2007 at 21:38 Quote
I think bikes adapted for pedaling in the Ocup are more like
IH Sunday (If you're planning to so some of the race in Quebec)
IH 7point
Specialized Demo
Intense Uzzi VPX
Giant Reign
And the list goes on...Just pick a quick and nimble bike in fact!
Something light enought and pedal-friendly!

I hope to challenge you soon buddy!

Posted: Oct 27, 2007 at 4:52 Quote
You could probably get away with a Bottlerocket for almost all of the courses. All of them except Camp Fortunes Q-Cup, that trail is gnarly and would best be ridden on a full-bore DH bike.

Posted: Oct 27, 2007 at 7:37 Quote
get a kona stab, a demo 8, a norco team DH, most bikes that can support a double crown fork, are better for downhill, an sx is a nice trail bike just not a DH race bike.

Posted: Oct 27, 2007 at 7:42 Quote
Eh I started racing O-cup last year, I only did one race which was the #4 at blue mountain,just to get a feel for what dh racing was all about I was trying to sell my full blown out Race ready Orange 223 so i could get a bottlerocket. The reason being that O-cup has alot flat sections and a 5.5 inch bike with an air shock would be amazing for racing DH in Ontario and would pedal alot better then a dh bike, I would highly reccomend getting it for racing , see you in O cup next year , Im on an Orange 223!!

Posted: Oct 27, 2007 at 8:07 Quote
alright thanks guys

Posted: Oct 27, 2007 at 10:19 Quote
free629ride wrote:
Eh I started racing O-cup last year, I only did one race which was the #4 at blue mountain,just to get a feel for what dh racing was all about I was trying to sell my full blown out Race ready Orange 223 so i could get a bottlerocket. The reason being that O-cup has alot flat sections and a 5.5 inch bike with an air shock would be amazing for racing DH in Ontario and would pedal alot better then a dh bike, I would highly reccomend getting it for racing , see you in O cup next year , Im on an Orange 223!!

So how did you like the racing scene?
I have heard they have a really good vibe going on. I raced some XC back in high school about 5 years ago and found people to be really rude and snobbish if you wern't all decked out in the spandex and such. I am planning on racing downhill next year as well and was wondering how you liked it?

Posted: Oct 27, 2007 at 16:50 Quote
I also have an O-Cup... related question. I recently picked up an 05 Norco Rampage and was hoping to try out some DH races next spring/summer. So far I have looked at O-Cup and Sirbikealot but can't get a whole lot of information as to what is best for me. I saw the U-18 Hardtail class, and well that seems to be the only one I could do. I have moderate DH experience, Bromont twice, Blue, North Shore and Whistler each once. I was thinking about doing 2-3 races depending on how many I can get to. If anyone can give me (or Norco61) any help as to how to get into this, then please do!

Posted: Oct 27, 2007 at 18:36 Quote
beer-breath wrote:
free629ride wrote:

I have heard they have a really good vibe going on. I raced some XC back in high school about 5 years ago and found people to be really rude and snobbish if you wern't all decked out in the spandex and such. I am planning on racing downhill next year as well and was wondering how you liked it?

From my experiences in the DH scene, most people are more relaxed and friendly, and willing to give advice on the best lines through sections and such. Sure there will always be the occasional dicks, but for the most part the DH scene is a pretty friendly one.

Posted: Oct 30, 2007 at 17:04 Quote
The OCup is awesome mang! I had an A-line for the first two races and figured out it was waay to much bike for the series. I went out and built up a Commencal Mini DH to race the rest of the circuit... except I never got to race at any other races due to work. The Mini DH is a 6" travel frame, air shock, SC fork bike built to blast the DH course and still be able to rip in the flat sections

O+ FL
Posted: Oct 30, 2007 at 19:45 Quote
deffinatly stay away from the long travel rigs as you will need to pedal but you need some squish for the more "gnar" sections I have a 6 inch bike (Coiler) that pedals well but will decend too so I would say 6/7 inches max

Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 5:49 Quote
free629ride wrote:

Eh man , ya the scene is really chilled out , of course like anything you get the occasional a*shole but all in all everyone is just out there to have fun racing there bike , you should defiantly race next year , and if you have the fitness level of an XC racer you should do well.goodluck man

Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 9:16 Quote
I also I am going race next year. I think I have a nice set-up for the O-cup scene. I have a 2004 Norco Shore with adjustable 6-7" of travel when on the 6" climbs like a dream. I had planned on racing this year but I broke my arm. I am a little nervous about starting to race next year...

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013787
Mobile Version of Website