Powered by Outside

Good security tips for your bike!

PB Forum :: Scams & Stolen Bikes
Good security tips for your bike!
  • Previous Page
Posted: Nov 12, 2008 at 19:05 Quote
So I just had my 2000 Black Dodge Dakota stolen from my house.... I live in Guildford, Surrey (yeah everyone laugh Razz ) so it's not like it was never gonna happen here. Anyways, I've got my stereo equipment in it and know that when ICBC replaces it they engrave your Drivers License number into it in case it ever gets stolen again. So! Why not do the same on your bike, but more stealthily or artistically.

I've seen the sharpie graphics and what not on the frames and that is rad. Why not incorporate your Drivers License number or your Personal Health Number (as some of the kiddies on here don't have DL's) into the artwork already on your bike. That way it looks like the original art on the bike or a regular sticker that you just slapped on. But if it's stolen then instead of the police hopelessly searching for a Serial Number on the frame they just see your DL or PHN number right there in the artwork! You could incorporate all sorts of things like your full name, your phone number or even your address! I dunno, it seems like a decent idea. Since I am now a victim of theft I'm gonna up security on everything i own cuz I am pissed off to say the least.

And yeah! If anyone sees my truck pinning it around the plate is 1903KC and it's got three adidas stickers on the back window - Blue Yodai sticker, Black Adidas sunglasses sticker and a Red Burna sticker. Call the cops if you see it. It's been two days now, had a full tank of gas and I haven't got a call whether it's recovered or not. The mother f&^%ers are probably still driving it around.

Posted: Nov 17, 2008 at 9:17 Quote
Good idea, though it might be hard to disguise it as artwork.

On saturday when I was taking my bike apart (as you do Razz ),
I spent a few minutes writing
[Quoten]Stolen?
My name
My address
My Phone number[/Quoten]

Onto the BB cartridge (some cheap Truvativ one) with permanent ink.

The theory is, if I want to prove the bike is mine, I take out the BB and show them.
Or if it is stolen and the thief decides to take it in to their LBS for a service, the LBS will see that and (probably) ring me to check.

Posted: Nov 17, 2008 at 9:24 Quote
that been a common thing to do for decades and works well because your drivers license stays the same for life

Posted: Nov 17, 2008 at 9:27 Quote
You can also write that stuff and put it down your seatpost? Like on a piece of paper or something...

Posted: Nov 17, 2008 at 9:49 Quote
NeedaBike2000 wrote:
You can also write that stuff and put it down your seatpost? Like on a piece of paper or something...

Yeah but if you ahve a quick release seat clamp,you seat will probaly ge nicked often. You can buy tracking devices and put them in the seat tubebut they are like £165.00

Posted: Nov 17, 2008 at 9:56 Quote
what i did was spray painted the inside of the BB. Also, my rotors are sprayed red, and I have a picture of my girlfriend and me inside my seat tube. Comes right out if you turn the bike upside down without the seatpost in. Theres a lot more you can do. Spray paint the inside for your bars, the underside of your saddle, etc. I highly recommend it

Posted: Nov 17, 2008 at 12:53 Quote
Yeah, thieves are pretty damn stupid. My truck was recovered! And funny thing is my subs, amp and stereo are all still in it. Just my faceplate is gone, which doesn't work without the source unit. Idiots... Everything is bolted down in my truck, and bolted well (did it all myself), and the cops said it looks like they tried to get them out but failed. Haha, douchebags.

Back to bikes though! I'm sending mine off to Devinci for a repaint and I'm gonna see if they can do some custom decal work into the art (like my DL or phone number). You guys have good ideas though - good to see people doing something so these thieves can be caught. If I ever catch someone stealing something of serious value to someone, like their bike or vehicle, i'm going postal on them. I've never felt so violated in my life and now I'm seriously jaded. Before I probably would have called the cops but now, nope, golf club to the knees and teeth.

Posted: Nov 17, 2008 at 13:04 Quote
mistercrabb wrote:
Good idea, though it might be hard to disguise it as artwork.

On saturday when I was taking my bike apart (as you do Razz ),
I spent a few minutes writing
[Quoten]Stolen?
My name
My address
My Phone number[/Quoten]

Onto the BB cartridge (some cheap Truvativ one) with permanent ink.

The theory is, if I want to prove the bike is mine, I take out the BB and show them.
Or if it is stolen and the thief decides to take it in to their LBS for a service, the LBS will see that and (probably) ring me to check.

That is a brilliant idea. I am going to do that right awaySmile

Posted: Nov 18, 2008 at 18:33 Quote
or if u have letter punches punch your name,DL#,address and phone number into you seat post bars stem and any part that isn't prone to chipping

Posted: Nov 18, 2008 at 21:16 Quote
Only problem is punching them into those parts doesn't mean you'll get the entire bike back. bike thieves swap parts so it doesn't look like the same bike. happened to my buddy.

Posted: Nov 18, 2008 at 21:20 Quote
id write my name and dl on my main parts
like fork, frame, crank, and inside of rims

Posted: Nov 18, 2008 at 22:35 Quote
inside the rims is a great idea.

Posted: May 15, 2009 at 0:32 Quote

Theyre useless...theyre only good when the police can even be bothered to look for them...Which 98% of the time they cant.
Also, a very very very small amount of police stations have the right technology to do it.

IMO, get a UV pen and write your home adress...driver license...telephone number, NI no. etc etc...Things that will prove its yours...

I say use a UVpen as its literally invisible ink...And all police stations should have a UV highlighter to pick it up.

Posted: May 15, 2009 at 1:44 Quote
i say if you can take apart your fork and put a piece of paper with your info, or get your number or w.e punched into the frame and then put a sticker over it

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009348
Mobile Version of Website