Powered by Outside

Best Value Bikes: All-Mountain

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Best Value Bikes: All-Mountain
  • Previous Page
Posted: Nov 27, 2008 at 22:21 Quote
I'm keeping my eyes peeled for any great value bikes within the all-mountain category. I know that many have suggested the Reign, Mojo, Ransom, Enduro, Pitch etc., and while these may be great bikes, I am looking for something towards the more value-conscious end of the spectrum. I would say to suggest at bikes with a retail MSRP not much greater than 3 grand. So far, I've seen a Mongoose Teocali Super (great kit + value; found a new 08' for 1300), as well as an Iron Horse MKIII. I am looking for any and every possible (mongoose in particular) input from owners of these bikes, or bikes which they believe belong in this category (Trek Fuel series, who knows?)...

Posted: Dec 1, 2008 at 17:05 Quote
Try looking up a Diamondback mission. Diamondback had been flying under the radar but their new series have been getting great reviews. Plus, great specs for the money. Check it out.

Posted: Dec 3, 2008 at 15:02 Quote
Just to be a bit Bias check out the Transition line www.transitionbikes.com

Posted: Dec 3, 2008 at 15:04 Quote
whats the most travel you want/need

Posted: Dec 4, 2008 at 16:26 Quote
canadiandegelder wrote:
I'm keeping my eyes peeled for any great value bikes within the all-mountain category. I know that many have suggested the Reign, Mojo, Ransom, Enduro, Pitch etc., and while these may be great bikes, I am looking for something towards the more value-conscious end of the spectrum. I would say to suggest at bikes with a retail MSRP not much greater than 3 grand. So far, I've seen a Mongoose Teocali Super (great kit + value; found a new 08' for 1300), as well as an Iron Horse MKIII. I am looking for any and every possible (mongoose in particular) input from owners of these bikes, or bikes which they believe belong in this category (Trek Fuel series, who knows?)...

trek fuel ex would be good

Posted: Dec 4, 2008 at 16:38 Quote
Check out the Mongoose Khyber Elite or Super. I just got my hands on an '08 Khyber Frame, which I am revamping, and I will say it has far exceeded my expectations in regards to performance, looks and price. I saw a Khyber Super at a local shop here (Richard's Bicycles/// www.rbikes.com) for only $1800...$1000 off regular price, and it has a phenominal components package. It is easily compared to a $4000 other brand bike of the same quality.
http://rbikes.com/itemdetails.cfm?LibID=44915
Richard's ebay store add
http://cgi.ebay.com/08-MONGOOSE-KHYBER-SUPER-FULL-SUSPENSION-MOUNTAIN-BIKE_W0QQitemZ310106224469QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMountain_Bikes?hash=item310106224469&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1209%7C66%3A3%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A100

Frame Mongoose Khyber Medium
Rear Shock Marzocchi Roco TST R Piggy Back, 165mm-travel w/rebound adjust
Fork Marzocchi 55 ATA, 125mm- to 165mm-travel w/rebound and compression adjust and 20mm through-axle
Rims/Wheels WTB Laser Disc Trail
Hubs WTB Laser Disc Super Duty
Tires Kenda Nevegal DTC, 26 x 2.35
Crankset FSA Gravity Light 36/24 w/bash guard and MRP Long Range Patrol chain guide
Front Derailleur Shimano XT
Rear Derailleur SRAM X.9
Cassette SRAM PG-990, 9-speed: 11-34
Shifters SRAM X.9 Impulse Trigger
Handlebars Funn Fatboy
Tape/Grips Mongoose lock-on
Stem Funn Rippa
Brake Levers Formula K24
Brakes Formula K24 hydraulic-disc, 180mm rotors
Saddle WTB Pure V Race FR
Seat Post Easton EA70

Posted: Dec 4, 2008 at 16:39 Quote
NORCO SIX !!!!!! or coilair?

Posted: Dec 4, 2008 at 17:13 Quote
What price point are you really looking at? Unless you are looking at NOS on clearout there is a big difference in spec between a 1300.00 bike and a 3000.00 bike.

The big difference is going to be weight between the high and low end if you are looking at the same series bike. Where do you live and what have you been quoted for a reign because a Reign 1 should be under 3000.00 but not by a lot.

If you really want to spend 1300.00 and not less than 3000.00, less than 3000.00 typically means alot closer to 3000.00 say like 2500.00

I have a 2007 Giant Pistol 1 normally 1400.00 for 900.00. Its a 5 inch travel bike with hydraulics and 9 speed. If you look it up on line you will see the US model. The US model frame is the same but the spec is completely different, our spec in Canada is much higher.

The Mongoose does look like a good deal but landing it Canada is going to cost a lot more than 1900.00 CDN. The shipping will be a lot more and you have to add exchange and taxes so make sure you have the total cost before buying it or you'll be in for a nasty surprise. The exchange alone is about 15% right now, taxes in BC are 5% plus brokerage fees and who knows on the shipping.

O+
Posted: Dec 4, 2008 at 17:19 Quote
cjf1972 wrote:
Check out the Mongoose Khyber Elite or Super. I just got my hands on an '08 Khyber Frame, which I am revamping, and I will say it has far exceeded my expectations in regards to performance, looks and price. I saw a Khyber Super at a local shop here (Richard's Bicycles/// www.rbikes.com) for only $1800...$1000 off regular price, and it has a phenominal components package. It is easily compared to a $4000 other brand bike of the same quality.
http://rbikes.com/itemdetails.cfm?LibID=44915
Richard's ebay store add
http://cgi.ebay.com/08-MONGOOSE-KHYBER-SUPER-FULL-SUSPENSION-MOUNTAIN-BIKE_W0QQitemZ310106224469QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMountain_Bikes?hash=item310106224469&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1209%7C66%3A3%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A100

Frame Mongoose Khyber Medium
Rear Shock Marzocchi Roco TST R Piggy Back, 165mm-travel w/rebound adjust
Fork Marzocchi 55 ATA, 125mm- to 165mm-travel w/rebound and compression adjust and 20mm through-axle
Rims/Wheels WTB Laser Disc Trail
Hubs WTB Laser Disc Super Duty
Tires Kenda Nevegal DTC, 26 x 2.35
Crankset FSA Gravity Light 36/24 w/bash guard and MRP Long Range Patrol chain guide
Front Derailleur Shimano XT
Rear Derailleur SRAM X.9
Cassette SRAM PG-990, 9-speed: 11-34
Shifters SRAM X.9 Impulse Trigger
Handlebars Funn Fatboy
Tape/Grips Mongoose lock-on
Stem Funn Rippa
Brake Levers Formula K24
Brakes Formula K24 hydraulic-disc, 180mm rotors
Saddle WTB Pure V Race FR
Seat Post Easton EA70

yup yup yup. beats bikes 2000+ easy

Mod
Posted: Dec 4, 2008 at 19:51 Quote
I think that Giant is offering the best bang for your buck in the industry. They have certain models in each bike so that there is one that fits your budget and the components you want. You can look at the Trance X series (Trance X2 will fit into your budget and so will the Trance X3 and X4). These are more trail style bikes than all mountain bikes but are still very capable at tackling all mountain riding and XC. The Anthem X series is more of an XC style bike and the Anthem X2 and X3 will fit into your price range. The Reign 1 and 2 are also bikes that you should look at. The Reign series is an all mountain series and has 6 inches of travel which might be a little much for XC. Therefore, I think that the Trance X with 5 inches would probably be a better bike as it can bomb the all mountain stuff and climb the XC hills. The Trance X series is in between the Anthem X series and the Reign series so it has the best of both worlds. I would take a serious look at Giant and their offerings as there is definitely a model or two that will fit your budget and offers an excellent part spec for the money. Maestro is also a great platform. It is very efficient when pedaling and can suck up all the bumps.

Posted: Dec 4, 2008 at 22:18 Quote
laurie1 wrote:
I think that Giant is offering the best bang for your buck in the industry. They have certain models in each bike so that there is one that fits your budget and the components you want. You can look at the Trance X series (Trance X2 will fit into your budget and so will the Trance X3 and X4). These are more trail style bikes than all mountain bikes but are still very capable at tackling all mountain riding and XC. The Anthem X series is more of an XC style bike and the Anthem X2 and X3 will fit into your price range. The Reign 1 and 2 are also bikes that you should look at. The Reign series is an all mountain series and has 6 inches of travel which might be a little much for XC. Therefore, I think that the Trance X with 5 inches would probably be a better bike as it can bomb the all mountain stuff and climb the XC hills. The Trance X series is in between the Anthem X series and the Reign series so it has the best of both worlds. I would take a serious look at Giant and their offerings as there is definitely a model or two that will fit your budget and offers an excellent part spec for the money. Maestro is also a great platform. It is very efficient when pedaling and can suck up all the bumps.

Couldn't have said it better myself so I won't try! The Maestro system really is very efficient. I just had the 2009 Reign X0, 6 front, 6.7 rear for a week and was doing a flat 15 km each way commute on pavement in 31 minutes with out the fork lock out and the pro pedal and rebound completely off.

That's a 33.5 pound all mountain freeride bike kids and I'm 45. I had a Trance X1 for 2 weeks last summer and I just got a 2009 Reign 0 demo for this week. These bikes are all light, agile and really efficient and fast. Its been awhile since I rode the Trance X1 and the Reign wasn't set up right for me tonight so its not fair to judge it yet but I'd say so far rthe Reign X0 may be my favorite of the three.

Posted: Dec 6, 2008 at 18:10 Quote
canadiandegelder wrote:

the trek fuel ex would be perfect!

Posted: Dec 9, 2008 at 1:27 Quote
read into the specialized pitch.nothing comes close just read the comparisons in magizines and on the bigger forums.

Posted: Dec 11, 2008 at 18:08 Quote
Wow, this thread has turned into something worthwhile.

So... I've been looking a lot and have probably narrowed it down to a couple of choices. Although the Mongooses and Diamondbacks are all decent bikes, with good value, the money has to be coming from somewhere, likely the frame. For this reason, I've made quite a jump, and the most enticing bikes (at the moment Big Grin ) are the Giant Reign X0 or X1; the Specialized Enduro Comp; the Trek Remedy 7; and the Scott Ransom 40. Here's my take on the so far, as I've test rode an X0, and an Enduro.

Giant Reign X0: Great at descending, the travel seems endless, and the propedal works fairly well. However, at the bike shop, the X0 weighed in at 35 pounds, and the X1 will be more. The X0 is expensive, and probably more that I'm willing to pay, yet it's the only one in the series to sport an Air shock (big plus). Also, while it is a great descender, it didn't do as well on the uphill as the others.

Trek Remedy 7: Another great bike, I have yet to find a demo, so the review is not as comprehensive. It weighs only 32 pounds, and seems to climbs very well. It, at the moment is the main contender with the Enduro, and, for some reason, I can't get over the fact that it's a Trek. It feels pretty good (6 and 6), and is nice and light, however I find that the part spec on it (RP2, Juicy 3's etc.) to be a little weak for a 3000 dollar bike.

Specialized Enduro Comp: A step down from the Expert, the Comp sports a good spec, including Juicy 5's, some Deore, and Specialized's own shocks. Amazingly, even with the heavy-duty looking double crowned fork, it weighs, like the Remedy, a mere 32 pounds. I test rode it, and while not as plush as the Wilson 3 (42 pounds, lol) my brother was on, did just fine. On top of all this, it looks great, and climbs like you wouldn't believe; the best of all the bikes.

Scott Ransom 40: This one I also haven't tried, but I am leaning towards it less than the others. The rear shock - their own, called an Equalizer, and completely different from anything else - is very cool with the remote lockout, half-travel and full-travel (6"), however it worries me just looking at it's complexity. Also, it is back up to the weight of the Reign, around 34.5 pounds, and looks heavy too. As I said, I haven't tried it, but I can image how it climbs, and I don't think it'll be on the same level. As the icing on the cake, it's a 3400 dollar bike, and is not that easy to find elsewhere.

I am a very big fan of the all-mountain category, because I like to ride everything. I ride the North Shore, in BC, Canada, but also enjoy the nearby cross-country trails in the forest. I am also one who would climb back up what I descent, as I not only enjoy it, but it is some added exercise.

Out of all these bikes, they all have their trade-offs, and not one is the best at everything. I guess the overall question is where to compromise, and that is entirely personal.

I don't know if anyone has ridden the North Shore before, but it is very steep and technical, and while my guys ride a Trek Fuel EX8 and a Transition BottleRocket, I have to wonder if 6 and 6 is enough. I'm small and tall, at about 6', while only 130 pounds, although having said that, I will grow.

While I'm sort of leaning towards the Enduro, only because it seems to do everything well, including descending, I wonder if I ever get into downhill seriously, whether it'll still perform as well, given the 68 degree head angle.

In conclusion, they are all great bikes, I'm sure, and I'm now just skimping on the small details, as I'm getting very close to part with a good amount of money, so any thoughts on this very lengthy post would be appreciated.

Posted: Dec 11, 2008 at 18:10 Quote
Ooh, sorry about the length of that post; I didn't realize quite how long it was until I posted it. At least it's thorough Big Grin

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.024589
Mobile Version of Website