Former Urban DH Thread...

PB Forum :: Downhill
Former Urban DH Thread...
  • Previous Page
Posted: Dec 13, 2008 at 17:41 Quote
Well, the title says it all. Its a petition to get a urban dh race set up in Hamilton Ontario for the '09 or 2010 season and hopefully years after. Leave your name and city your from if you want to see this thing work.

Thanks guys and girls,

Brent Johnson, Stoney Creek

Posted: Dec 13, 2008 at 17:47 Quote
Leon Bank
Markham Ontario

Posted: Dec 13, 2008 at 18:28 Quote
Dan Aucoin
St.Catharines/Thorold

O+ FL
Posted: Dec 13, 2008 at 18:38 Quote
I would be really down for this but in hamilton it would be way too much on a pedaling race as downtown is flat. anyways
Sam Johnston Dundas

Posted: Dec 13, 2008 at 18:44 Quote
Sean Padua
Guelph, Ontario

Posted: Dec 13, 2008 at 18:48 Quote
has anyone ever been to Penetanguishene, ON
i went there 2 summers ago and the hole town is like steep lol
i would defo be down for a road race

Posted: Dec 13, 2008 at 18:53 Quote
You really need something more than signatures. One guy in new market tried to get a skate park, he had gotten over 10,000 signatures/names and nothing ever happened. The city didn't listen to him.

You need some event which will get the city to make $$$$, so a race with a shit-load of advertisements and sponsors. After that you can go to the city to propose your idea.

Posted: Dec 13, 2008 at 19:00 Quote
coldfusion wrote:
I agree
the city is only going to say yes if theres a lot of advertisements. and if the local businesses can profit. like if you get bike shops to get involved, it would definitely help your cause.

Posted: Dec 13, 2008 at 19:08 Quote
Where would the proposed sight for the races be?

Posted: Dec 13, 2008 at 19:10 Quote
coldfusion wrote:
You really need something more than signatures. One guy in new market tried to get a skate park, he had gotten over 10,000 signatures/names and nothing ever happened. The city didn't listen to him.

You need some event which will get the city to make $$$$, so a race with a shit-load of advertisements and sponsors. After that you can go to the city to propose your idea.

Agreed. There's a good reason that only companies like Monster and Red Bull put on events like this, they have the bank roll to cover the tab at the end of the day.

I know around here that even something as basic as getting permission to close off a single block for a block party requires a fair amount of time.

Posted: Dec 13, 2008 at 19:29 Quote
Brandon DesMarais
Carleton Place, Ontario.

Posted: Dec 13, 2008 at 19:31 Quote
ben syvret
cambridge, Ontario

Posted: Dec 13, 2008 at 19:45 Quote
David Collier
Aurora, Ontario

Posted: Dec 13, 2008 at 21:02 Quote
ezekiel wrote:
coldfusion wrote:

Agreed. There's a good reason that only companies like Monster and Red Bull put on events like this, they have the bank roll to cover the tab at the end of the day.

I know around here that even something as basic as getting permission to close off a single block for a block party requires a fair amount of time.
I have written a email to the city, and im going to mail them the same letter too. As for sponsors, we will be getting it sponsored and advertised. and who knows how big the crowd will be, maybe not the first year, but once word gets around, im sure there will be some money in it for the city. Here is the letter I sent them:

Hello there,

In the City of Hamilton there is a large group of Down Hill mountain bikers. Most of us race in an Ontario wide racing series called the O-cup, which occurs over the summer and wish there were more races to particiapate in as there are only 6 races in the series. In Europe there is a new type of Down Hill Racing called Urban Down Hill That has been catching on all across the world. A small group of us racers have been thinking that it would be amazing if we could have a one day Urban Down Hill race in the hamilton area. We have amazing potential for a race like this due to the Niagra Escartment and a large sized city with hotels and accomidations for persons staying over night. The race would be advertised online on a website called Pink Bike (I have posted a list of links at the bottom of the page), as well as sponsored by large bike companies and local bike shops in the area. We were just wondering if a race like this would be possible some where in the Hamilton area. Mountain biking is a great sport and we wish for your help to make it an even better one. We will be waiting eagerly on your response.

Thank you,

Brent Johnson and fellow Racers

Posted: Dec 13, 2008 at 21:44 Quote
Dan Borgschulze

Hamilton, ON

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011187
Mobile Version of Website