I'm a bigger rider. What All Mountain bike do I buy?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
I'm a bigger rider. What All Mountain bike do I buy?
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Jan 25, 2009 at 16:23 Quote
Hey everyone I'm looking to buy a new all mountain bike and I'm stuck. I have considered a long travel all mountain bike and other lighter bikes like the Heckler but what do I buy, what's gonna work for me. I am a 230 pound rider so I know I need something tougher but there's plenty of choices. Please help me find the perfect bike thnks.

Posted: Jan 26, 2009 at 7:47 Quote
Giant Reign , 6 inches and really tough ,
if you descent more than you climb or if you drop off stuff go whit Reign X , the tubes are bigger and it comes whit a coil DHX

Posted: Jan 26, 2009 at 7:55 Quote
The Ibis Mojo is a great bike I think it has 6in of travel! And its a carbon frame.

Posted: Jan 26, 2009 at 7:58 Quote
Nomad w/ fox coil

O+
Posted: Jan 26, 2009 at 8:04 Quote
Banshee Rune. Stiffest AM bike around.

Posted: Jan 26, 2009 at 8:14 Quote
I know no one is gonna mention this but this is something to consider. The leverage ratio. I am 180 pounds and ride a RM Slayer. It rides great, but I put a lot of wear on the shock. It has a leverage ratio of 3:1 so there is a lot of force excerted on the shock.

Anything with a leverage ratio close to 2:1 is good because the shock will be able to perform better considering your weight.

I have been looking into the Reign X as well, but I havent checked its leverage ratio.

Posted: Jan 26, 2009 at 8:44 Quote
I checked already and the Reign X also has a 3:1 leverage ratio. It has 6.75 inches of travel and only 2.25 stroke in the shock.

This is not a problem if it has a coil shock. Only with air shocks could a high leverage ratio represent a problem.

Posted: Jan 26, 2009 at 8:57 Quote
andrew22 wrote:
The Ibis Mojo is a great bike I think it has 6in of travel! And its a carbon frame.

Seriously? Are you retarded? He's 230lbs, If he got that frame and got a scratch in it, it wouldn't take much for massive structural failure. Almost all carbon fiber frames have a weight limit; most top out around 200lbs or less.Facepalm

I'm in the same boat as you; I weight 235-260 without gear. I just got a Rocky Mountain Slayer SS350 at the end of last season. It is tough and sturdy frame, if you look at one of these they are a great do it all bike.2 cents

Posted: Jan 26, 2009 at 9:16 Quote
luli79 wrote:
andrew22 wrote:

Seriously? Are you retarded? He's 230lbs, If he got that frame and got a scratch in it, it wouldn't take much for massive structural failure. Almost all carbon fiber frames have a weight limit; most top out around 200lbs or less.Facepalm

I'm in the same boat as you; I weight 235-260 without gear. I just got a Rocky Mountain Slayer SS350 at the end of last season. It is tough and sturdy frame, if you look at one of these they are a great do it all bike.2 cents

Check my profile, I have bad experience with RM, and I think the SS isnt quite All Mountain. Have you used it for climbing or trail riding? Can you raise the seat enough?

Posted: Jan 26, 2009 at 9:36 Quote
Yeah, It climbs fairly well, for a FR oriented bike. It cuts through singletrack just as well as some of the other bikes I have owned. All you have to get is an adjustable travel fork. The rear linkage almost eliminates pedal bob, yeah its not the lightest bike, but it is efficient enough ascender. As far as raising the seat goes there is plenty of height for what you need!

Posted: Jan 26, 2009 at 9:44 Quote
I weigh between 200 and 220 lbs and ride a Slayer SXC as my AM bike...had NO problems with climbing, it decsends like a beast and I am not sure what the comment about the shock ratio is about as I have the DHX Air and it works sooooo well on the bike.

Posted: Jan 26, 2009 at 9:47 Quote
thrice wrote:
luli79 wrote:
andrew22 wrote:

Check my profile, I have bad experience with RM, and I think the SS isnt quite All Mountain. Have you used it for climbing or trail riding? Can you raise the seat enough?

I know someone that weight who has a Mojo!

Posted: Jan 26, 2009 at 9:47 Quote
andrew22 wrote:
thrice wrote:
luli79 wrote:

I know someone that weight who has a Mojo!
Actually he weighs more too!

Posted: Jan 26, 2009 at 10:47 Quote
I weigh 220 and ride a Yeti 575. I do get air once in a while and I can tell you I have NEVER bottomed this bike out. I run a RockShox Revelation Air U Turn (115-140mm) and it suits this bike fine. It's very rocky (baby head city) in NJ and I have dumped this bike a lot of times and it rode away with just scratches.
If you are looking for a DH or FR bike, there are better choices than the 575. But if you still have to "pay the mountain" on your way up (climb it, not chairlift), the Yeti should make your short list.
Enjoy your search for a new bike!

PS: Yeti also has a frame, the "ASR-7", that may better fit your needs. I pasted a link to a photo of it.

http://www.yetifan.com/a2008sevencolourws.jpg

Posted: Jan 26, 2009 at 10:53 Quote
saw this on the Yeti ASR-7 if it fits your needs:
http://www.yeticycles.com/01_OurRides/Reviews/ASR7_200808MountainBike.pdf

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014507
Mobile Version of Website