Powered by Outside

Which of the thee would be a superb choice?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Which of the thee would be a superb choice?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Feb 28, 2009 at 11:09 Quote
ok so im planning to get a new frame for a build soon. I cant decide on a specific frame i want. I do mostly DH racing but i also enjoy some FR riding to... the choices i had in mind were the following, if you have any other frame suggestions, go ahead and name a few.

1. Transition Blindside (DHX 5.0)

2. Banshee Scythe (DHX 5.0)

3. Santa cruz bullit (vivid)

all are new frames

Posted: Feb 28, 2009 at 12:33 Quote
None of those are really RACE frames, out of your selection I'd pick the bullit just because of the level of quality it has over Transition and Banshee.

O+
Posted: Feb 28, 2009 at 15:55 Quote
The Scythe man. Seriously, that bike will out perform a lot of 8" travel bikes. Super stiff, super plush and com'on, it's a Banshee, you know it's going to be able to take a beating.

Though if you're looking for a true race bike something like a Lenged or V-10 would be a better choice.

O+
Posted: Feb 28, 2009 at 16:06 Quote
the scythe is such a tanks and it's expensive. i would choose the blindside because of the price and how good of quality transition bike are.

Posted: Feb 28, 2009 at 18:10 Quote
yea im kinda tangled between the scythe and the BS, the banshee is acually 1550 where i found it and the blindside is 1600... which one would be better for racing

Posted: Feb 28, 2009 at 18:31 Quote
have not ridden a scythe but i do own a blindside and can say that it performs really well. It corners like its on rails and can hold its own when it gets tough. You can set it up with a long travel sc and go huck or set it up with a good dc and mob down knarly trails. I upgraded from an old model bullit (2004) and find it to be a better bike for everything going downhill.

Posted: Feb 28, 2009 at 18:33 Quote
ok ok thanks for the input but what now "stepped into the ring" is the Giant glory DH.... anything to consider?

Posted: Feb 28, 2009 at 18:36 Quote
wait till 2010... the new ones are due out then.

O+
Posted: Feb 28, 2009 at 18:46 Quote
superbarnes65 wrote:
wait till 2010... the new ones are due out then.

This and the Glory is the only true DH Frame listed.

Posted: Feb 28, 2009 at 19:56 Quote
mellis-uk wrote:
Transition frame quality is crap.. it just looks "cookie cutter" too me. I'd feel better riding a bike I knew was hand built & assembled by a experienced, passionate bike builder rather than a 9 year old taiwanese kid who gets paid $0.005 per day. I'd have the Banshee over the Transition but I still don't like all the adjustability of shock and so on. I wouldnt like (I'm exaggerating) to have to stop half way down a trail and set my bike to super awesome freeride mode just so I could stomp a jump. It's personal preference really but I don't like how fidgety it is and theres more to go wrong. I'm more interested a frame that has one setting you can get used to and adapt your riding instead of your bike to the terrain. Thats my 2 cents ! Again, whatever floats your boat !

Oh, by the way, Morewood Izimu.

id have to disagree with you on that... the welds and overall quality of the frame are really good. Just a short list of other manufacturers that import from Taiwan:
Giant
Santa Cruz
Yeti
Specialized
im sure there are others but i dont feel like looking them up.

Posted: Feb 28, 2009 at 20:04 Quote
From what I've seen on snapping and paint defects I'd have to disagree with you again haha. And I realize a lot of manufacturers use factories in Taiwan, although with companies like Santa Cruz, Giant and Yeti, bikes over certain price ranges (higher end) are not built in these factories, but usually built/assembled in house, by hand.

Posted: Feb 28, 2009 at 20:10 Quote
i havent seen a snapped transition as of yet. Giant's glory dh is made in taiwan. If you can, would you post a pick of a snapped transition?

O+
Posted: Feb 28, 2009 at 21:01 Quote
mellis-uk wrote:
From what I've seen on snapping and paint defects I'd have to disagree with you again haha. And I realize a lot of manufacturers use factories in Taiwan, although with companies like Santa Cruz, Giant and Yeti, bikes over certain price ranges (higher end) are not built in these factories, but usually built/assembled in house, by hand.

Santa Cruz makes their frames in Tawian now too...

O+
Posted: Feb 28, 2009 at 21:10 Quote
photo

i was in the exact same place as you. and i went for this. kicks major ass. tough as a tank, and stock it weighs 38.64 lbs. plan and simple is the perfect mix it up bike for dh/fr in my oppinion. i had the option to choose from any bike that was provided from specialized, kona, santa cruz, cannondale, and commencial. and i went with the demo.

if your more into racing, maby look at the demo 8, but without a doubt in my mind anyone could end up on the potium with this bad boy.

comaired to 2 out of your 3 options, it takes it easy.

the bullit will not be a good race bike. way to high of a bb. but will do well freeriding.

the transition will be good, but much hevier, and a worse suspention platform, and no tougher.

and i dont know much about the sythe, but im sure its nice.

two more things. if you plan to sell your bike after a seson ot two, look around pinkbike, demos from 05 are holding their value better than bikes that were from 2007. also, the demo will be much esier to get replacement parts for. specialized is present in tons of shops, and will carry hangers, ect...

wheew. long post. but i hope it helped. im absurdly in love with mine.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.113014
Mobile Version of Website