Powered by Outside

Are SHIVERS Any Good?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Are SHIVERS Any Good?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Nov 5, 2007 at 16:19 Quote
are SHIVERS any good? i do loooots of freeride and some dh. whats your opinion?

Posted: Nov 5, 2007 at 16:39 Quote
Why would you post the same topic twice? Put it in Bikes Parts and Gear if you want people to see it more.

Posted: Nov 5, 2007 at 16:46 Quote
There not bad, one of my friends use to have one. Personally, I would rather get something like 66 though.

Chom

Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 4:02 Quote
They ok, friend had them but he prefers the boxxers and 40s, upside down forks can bend and wierd shit

O+
Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 4:42 Quote
I have a pair of 05 Shivers (Black ones) and they rock!!!

Posted: Dec 10, 2007 at 18:57 Quote
i have some 02 shivers and there fine

Posted: Feb 28, 2008 at 19:48 Quote
shivers are good forks, but if they need a rebuild thats when they get real sloppy.

Posted: Feb 29, 2008 at 8:06 Quote
One of the best forks ive ever owned. Great fork very responsive. On the heavy side though.

Posted: Feb 29, 2008 at 12:21 Quote
that's expected they are a fat fork. but in downhill weight isn't a that big of a deal, it'll keep you on the ground and give you more speed. bigger and bader is better!

Posted: Feb 29, 2008 at 12:25 Quote
They aren't that heavy (8.5 pounds), but how many bikes are sold with a 888RCV, RC3, and even the RC3 WC that are all within .3 of a pound of it in weight.

Posted: Feb 29, 2008 at 12:31 Quote
there really good for a mechanic. you can do pritty much do all the adjustments and servicing. they also require a lot of maintenance

Mod
Posted: Feb 29, 2008 at 12:39 Quote
At the time, when Shivers were a very common fork, all they really competed with was the Monster T at the time. The Boxxer was still known as the "race fork" and the Dorado was known as the Boxxer's alternative fork. Therefore, the weight of the Shiver was less than that of a Monster T. Both forks are considerably heavier than their racing counterparts but these forks were used mainly for a freeride application rather than a race fork application. I have had two Shivers in my mountainbike career, a 2001 that came stock on my RM9 and a 2003 that was stock on my Stab Primo. In 2002 and later, the cartridges in the Shiver changed and these were honestly one of the best forks I have ever ridden. I also used to have a Dorado and there was no comparison. I was rebuilding my Dorado after every race day or 30 hours of general riding. It was not nearly as burly or as strong as the Shiver but that was to be expected for the massive weight difference.

I don't understand where all these maintenance comments are coming from. I rarely had to do any extra maintenance that wasn't outlined in the owner's manual. I was not constantly rebuilding this fork or fiddling with the adjustments on it either. Once I dialed it in, I kept it the same and had no issues with it. I never had to stray away from regular maintenance schedules to do something immediately as it was hindering the performance.

konafarker wrote:
I have a pair of 05 Shivers (Black ones) and they rock!!! However, the 02 and 03 shivers are a bit flexy, They made some reasonable improvements with the 04 and 05 models.

The 2002 and beyond Shivers are all the same. There was not one change to the design or the cartridges. Even in the first generation run of Shivers, the only things that were changed from this production run was stanction guards became standard and the cartridges were changed to HSCV cartridges. I wanted to upgrade my 2003 to 2005 and Marzocchi Canada said that unless something is broken, there is no point as all that changed were the color of the uppers and decals but all the internals remained the same throughout the years.

FL
Posted: Feb 29, 2008 at 13:41 Quote
i have a pair of 02 shivers and they are great. they have taken everything i cvan throw at them and still run smooth. maintenance is at a minimum, just oil changes now and then and release of air pressure every ride or so(really easy to do). Never had to change any seals to date and they still run smooth. weight is the only downside, but this can be used to an advantage. i found that shivers are far less likely to get knocked off line(by rocks or roots etc.) compared to my lighter boxxers.

Posted: Feb 29, 2008 at 19:22 Quote
Good fork but a little outdated in terms of weight and external adjustments. If you can get a good price on the '05s (I think they're the only ones with a true 8"), don't mind making damping changes internally, and you ride hard and need something that may be stronger than a Boxxer, Fox 40, or 888 ('07 and earlier, the '08 chassis is bigger and seems pretty strong and stiff) than go for it.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013359
Mobile Version of Website