Powered by Outside

Trail dogs

PB Forum :: Off-Topic
Trail dogs
  • Previous Page
Posted: Nov 7, 2007 at 10:05 Quote
Hey I am getting a puppy I haven't decided what kind yet. I want him to be a trail dog so he can go out riding with me. This guy I know has a dog that runs after him (doesn't bite his ankles) and launches jumps and drops. I want a dog like this but i don't know which kind have the right mannerisms and such that will chase after you and not run away or bite you ankles. What kind of dogs are you riding dogs? Feel free to post any other stuff about your trail daogstup

Posted: Nov 7, 2007 at 10:14 Quote
I mutt that is a mix of good breeds from the pound. It is irresponsible to continue breeding more dogs when we can't take care of the ones we have. If you insist on a purebreed Germans are hands down the best dogs out there. Goldens and Rotts are great too.

Posted: Nov 7, 2007 at 10:17 Quote
Why are germans hands down the best

Posted: Nov 7, 2007 at 10:18 Quote
I had my German mix on a ride one time. About 5 miles from the end of the ride she let out a little whimper. She kept running full-tilt after me. I finished the ride and realized she had broken a claw off. She had blood sprayed all over her hind legs and belly from running. She never slowed a bit. She has a heart of gold. Loyal to a fault, friendly, brilliant, amazingly athletic, etc. She's followed me off 10-15 foot drops before. It's amazing what that dog pulls off.

Posted: Nov 7, 2007 at 10:20 Quote
Because they are the third smartest breed after Standard Poodles and Border Collies, they are crazy loyal, they are incredibly atheletic, they are fun, friendly, affectionate, beautiful. I could go on and on.

Posted: Nov 7, 2007 at 10:21 Quote
Thats intense, Yeah dogs will do some crazy stuff you have to be careful what you get them into though. I was talking to someone and he launched a 30 foot dried up river gap, without thinking of his dog behind him. The dog jumped it and crashed into the bank, broke its foot and was bloodied all up.

Posted: Nov 7, 2007 at 10:32 Quote
DavidMakalaster wrote:
I had my German mix on a ride one time. About 5 miles from the end of the ride she let out a little whimper. She kept running full-tilt after me. I finished the ride and realized she had broken a claw off. She had blood sprayed all over her hind legs and belly from running. She never slowed a bit. She has a heart of gold. Loyal to a fault, friendly, brilliant, amazingly athletic, etc. She's followed me off 10-15 foot drops before. It's amazing what that dog pulls off.

but can they do a 360?Pimp haha just joking if i was ever to get a dog I'd get a german.

O+
Posted: Nov 7, 2007 at 10:34 Quote
Keep in mind that if you get a puppy, it won't really be able to come on the trail with you until it is about 2. Med and Lg breed dogs can damage their bones easily by doing a lot of hard running and jumping before their bodies are done growing.

Also keep in mind that no matter what breed you choose, purebred or mix, what will influence its trail behaviour MORE than breed is how you train it. It takes a lot of time and work to train a dog. That being said, once your dog is fully trained, it will be worth the effort, stress, and all the frustration you have felt!

Mixed breeds are usually healthier, live longer, and are less prone to having really bad habits. Shepherding breeds (Border collies, German Shepherds, etc) tend to want to chase and nip, as this is what they have evolved to do. However, it doesn't neccesarily mean all dogs of these breeds will nip, it's just that they are more likely to nip a rider on a bike, and to want to keep the "pack" together.

So a lot of research (online, in books), talk to people who have dogs, ask people on the trail about their dogs, and email/phone breeders or rescue agencies.

Sorry to make such a long naggy post, but there are just SO MANY people out there who end getting dogs that are too much for them to handle, or they are unaware of the commitment (time AND money!) a dog is, and the dogs end up in the pound, or neglected, getting killed, etc. I am involved in a dog rescue group, and a lot of dogs who come into rescue are not there because of an owner being intentionally cruel, but just because they lack the knowledge and resources.

That being said, I have a Rhodesian Ridgeback/Black Lab cross who is an excellent trail dog, for riding, backpacking, hiking, etc. He doesn't stray, always stays within sight, is responsive and listens well. However, he didn't become a fantastic, obedient dog until he was about 3, because they take a while to mature. He will run and run and run forever, and has run on a paw pad sliced down to the bone on glass, a split open leg from a bike pedal, and a broken tooth. So, you often have to pay very close attention (to any dog) because many times they will run themselves almost to the death to be with you!

Good luck!

Posted: Nov 7, 2007 at 10:43 Quote
I have had dogs all of my life, and grown up with them. All of our dogs are well behaved and looked after. Trust me I know how much work it is having a puppy and training them. Most people think if a dog pees in the house theirs something wrong with him it's just lack of training. A few years ago I had a long legged jack russel terrier, he was a test I'll tell you what. They just take off if they get out of the yard or off the leash. My dog I have now is to old to be a trail bum, she is a black lab/ dobermann mix. She is great for hikes though, I once took her on a 9 miles hike. Her pad cracked I felt so bad, I think i might get her some shoes lol

Posted: Nov 7, 2007 at 10:48 Quote
Shoes actually work well if you get EXACTLY the right size.

Posted: Nov 7, 2007 at 10:50 Quote
yeah definitly the wrong shoes shoes will do more damage to your dog than good

O+
Posted: Nov 7, 2007 at 12:17 Quote
Ruffwear makes nice boots if they fit your pooch. I have also used Muttlukks and those work well too. Dogs seem to get used to them pretty quickly.

There will probably come a time when you have to carry your dog off the trail...it's happened a couple of times with mine, thankfully my ex was the one who carried him though, as I'm not sure for how long I could carry the dog's 90lb butt for! Would if I had to though.

Mod
Posted: Nov 7, 2007 at 12:32 Quote
definately had to carry my dog for a couple clicks once... all his paw pads wore off and there was blood everywhere. Frown I felt bad for him.

O+
Posted: Nov 7, 2007 at 12:36 Quote
I have a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, There's a pic of her in my profile. She's ridiculously smart and super active. If she doesn't have like 2 hours of good physical activity a day she goes crazy. anyway she's great on trails because she loves running and hates being beat so she will do whatever it takes to stay ahead of you

Posted: Nov 7, 2007 at 21:14 Quote
good information guys and gals. I'm thinking of a black and white boxer because their the right size i'm looking for and are from what I've heard, good trail dogs. Does anyone have experience with boxers. The only thing is that they are a little bigger than what my parrents are want. I make fun of my dad saying he can't be seen walking around with a wimpy little dog. Any reccomendations on smaller dogs than boxer?

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009978
Mobile Version of Website