Powered by Outside

Mendip trail building sesh?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Mendip trail building sesh?
  • Previous Page
Posted: May 9, 2009 at 15:06 Quote
Whilst out on an evening ride on the Mendips with a couple of mates, we had the crazy idea about doing a DH race down the main line on Rowberrow or what most people know as the christmas tree track.

This isn't supposed to be anything big, we're aiming for around 40 people for just a casual day of racing with the local riders. The entry fee will be around £10 to get enough for the timing equipment (walkie talkies, and a couple of stopwatches) and the prizes. The top 3 finishers will win things like such as new bars or something similar. We'll also probably get a Barbeque going as well to keep everyone energized as there won't be an uplift service! Depending on how many people we get there should be around 4 runs: with two practice ones and two timed. As some people have exams up until mid june the date is to be confirmed, but should be around late june, early july time.

Anyone who's interested should let me know on here, or just post advice on how it should be ran.

Cheers Ed.

Posted: May 10, 2009 at 2:23 Quote
There will be film coverage of the event, and you will be riding ENTIRELY at your own risk.

O+
Posted: May 10, 2009 at 8:10 Quote
Im interested mate, should be a nice day with a bbq.

I got another mate who would do it, also my brother.

Btw im currently in the process of building a track up there, could race down that as well if u want. Ill be finishing it over half term.

Posted: May 10, 2009 at 8:13 Quote
olynch wrote:

Sweet, just bring along whoever. Have you been up recently cos they've put in soo much work now the track is incredible!

O+
Posted: May 10, 2009 at 8:22 Quote
fooox wrote:
olynch wrote:

Sweet, just bring along whoever. Have you been up recently cos they've put in soo much work now the track is incredible!

Yea i have been up recently, well a couple of weeks ago and it did look like it had been built back up again.

O+
Posted: May 10, 2009 at 8:43 Quote
How about we have smaller prizes, bring our own food and have like a 2quid entry. More people will be interested i reckon.

Posted: May 10, 2009 at 8:45 Quote
olynch wrote:
How about we have smaller prizes, bring our own food and have like a 2quid entry. More people will be interested i reckon.

Yer sounds good. But unless someone brings their own walkie talkies then we'll need some cash to fund for them! Or maybe the winner gets to keep them!

O+
Posted: May 10, 2009 at 9:04 Quote
Can we not just use our mobile phones, that surely will solve the problem. I dont mind using my phone for a few couple of minute calls.

Also i've have a little plan.

it will run with everyone starting at the top. One person will need to be at the bottom to have the stop watch.

One person at the top(not doing his run) calls person at bottom and says go when to start the timer. The person at the bottom waits till the rider comes down and finishes and stops the timer. The two at the bottom rotate. Original person at bottom goes up and hands timer to the first rider. Then someone else calls from the top to the bottom to say go on the timer. Keeps going till everyone is done

Have a break after evryone has there first run for lunch maybe?

However if there is someone there not racing, they could stop the timer and stay positioned at the bottom.

Posted: May 10, 2009 at 10:17 Quote
sweet, we where just discussing this today, and how it could be done, glad your doing it on that track as i got a new personal best on it today Wink

Posted: May 10, 2009 at 10:27 Quote
olynch wrote:
Can we not just use our mobile phones, that surely will solve the problem. I dont mind using my phone for a few couple of minute calls.

it will run with everyone starting at the top. One person will need to be at the bottom to have the stop watch.

One person at the top(not doing his run) calls person at bottom and says go when to start the timer. The person at the bottom waits till the rider comes down and finishes and stops the timer. The two at the bottom rotate. Original person at bottom goes up and hands timer to the first rider. Then someone else calls from the top to the bottom to say go on the timer. Keeps going till everyone is done

However if there is someone there not racing, they could stop the timer and stay positioned at the bottom.

better still, say 20 people want to come, all put a fiver in and you could get one of thiese

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=19683

and 20 quid left over for a little prize (pair of grips or something)

Posted: May 10, 2009 at 10:44 Quote
tommymay wrote:
olynch wrote:

better still, say 20 people want to come, all put a fiver in and you could get one of thiese

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=19683

and 20 quid left over for a little prize (pair of grips or something)

Lol, me and my friends thought about the exact same thing until we realized two massive problems:
1) Its £80 per pole and you need at least 2 poles, Also you need a crazy gps watch thing that costs £150!
2) Also we would keep having to take the watch up to the top so progess would be very slow seeing as it takes like 5/10mins to get upp to the top again!

But nice idea though. I think that 20 peoplle would be a far more manageable number, but the walkkie talkie idea would probs be the best.

Posted: May 10, 2009 at 10:53 Quote
i think the walkie talkie idea is best as well, but dependin on how many peopl want to do it, we may hav to do the phone thing

Posted: May 10, 2009 at 12:57 Quote
Myself and some friends thought the same sort of thing, but the big problem and something you have not thought about is the fact that this is all on private land, and with walkers and pony riders up and down the tracks all day long. You put on an event this size without the consent of the land owner then your going to jeopardise the use of the land and trails for all mountain bikers, ive seen it before where the land owner just ripped everything up and said no to biking. I dont want to see that happen at my local dh track.

Posted: May 10, 2009 at 13:06 Quote
georgepotter wrote:
Myself and some friends thought the same sort of thing, but the big problem and something you have not thought about is the fact that this is all on private land, and with walkers and pony riders up and down the tracks all day long. You put on an event this size without the consent of the land owner then your going to jeopardise the use of the land and trails for all mountain bikers, ive seen it before where the land owner just ripped everything up and said no to biking. I dont want to see that happen at my local dh track.

Yer thats a very good point. Definitely not worth risking the trails over a race. Is it the national trust who own it cos i'll try and get in touch. It'll probably end up being a much smaller event (e.g. 10 riders or so) than we anticipated with just a general get togeather/trail building sesh and perhaps some timed runs. How does that sound?

O+
Posted: May 10, 2009 at 13:50 Quote
It doesnt need to be called a "race". Just say we are timing ourself runs down the tracks and we are just riding as normal. I can imagine there will only be about a dozen of us so it wont to be honest a bit of timing is all thats needed and maybe a little applaud for the fastest rider and it ends there.

Bit of fun at the end of the day to be honest.

I have a facebook group i made i thought i would be useful to get in contact with local riders for building days etc...

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=55829659869&ref=ts

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.036513
Mobile Version of Website