Pinkbike will be undergoing scheduled maintenance on May 29 at 9pm PST for up to 6 hours. We apologize for any inconvenience caused during this time.
Powered by Outside

Rewelding frame near where the shock connects to the frame? :(

PB Forum :: Downhill
Rewelding frame near where the shock connects to the frame? :(
  • Previous Page
Posted: May 26, 2009 at 8:22 Quote
photo

i think the pic speaks on it's own...

crack is 1,2 cm long, could i weld this? some ppl say i cant, some say i do...

cant afford another frame just yet, so could it be welded? i know a guy that welded his frame in almost the exact same place...

stupid cases... Cry Cry Cry

it's Al Attention but if its cold welding it could work...?

Posted: May 26, 2009 at 9:26 Quote
have you done any research on cold welding?

FL
Posted: May 26, 2009 at 9:29 Quote
Just paint over the crack and sell it! lol

Posted: May 26, 2009 at 9:30 Quote
Royston wrote:
horrible idea

FL
Posted: May 26, 2009 at 9:34 Quote
unbound08 wrote:
Royston wrote:
horrible idea
Seriously don`t do what I suggested, I was only joking. Try the manufacturer about warranty replacement. Welding it should be a last resort.

FL
Posted: May 26, 2009 at 9:40 Quote
Out of interest how did you crack it?

Posted: May 26, 2009 at 9:41 Quote
photo

Got a good frind of mine to weld mine so it wont crack, he welds racebikes and other custom parts in alloy.
But alloy change when you weld it, so it has to be done by one who really know what he is doing

Posted: May 26, 2009 at 10:18 Quote
Royston wrote:
Out of interest how did you crack it?
i have no idea, one day i just looked ta it and it was cracked... Madder

warrenty is gone, its from like 2005, so... second hand, maybe i bought it cracked?

i'v been riding for a yr like this... nothing happened...

yeah the guy i have in mind has welded a few bikes...

Posted: May 26, 2009 at 10:20 Quote
unbound08 wrote:
have you done any research on cold welding?

nope, isnt it like, err when we hit lead balls with a hammer, to join them in a bigger sheet of lead, that is cold welding isnt it?

Posted: May 26, 2009 at 11:15 Quote
I suppose that is a form of cold welding. from everything I have read cold welding is using an extreme amount of force to pretty much just smash two pieces of metal together to form a bond. I could be wrong but I really don't think there is an easy way to do this with your bike frame. as far as regular welding goes, it will work as far as bonding the metal back together but the heat created by the welder will destroy the temper on the metal and end up making the metal weaker in that area.

Posted: May 26, 2009 at 11:34 Quote
Your frame can be repaired by means of welding BUT it will have to be done by a coded welder who knows his stuff. Contrary to popular belief welding does not negatively affect the integrity of the metal being welded...any loss in tensile strength can be regained by proper heat treatment and tempering. If the welding preparation is done correctly, the welder is competent to weld aluminium using TIG welding and the stress relieving of the alloy is properly done the repair will be a success.

If the welder fails in any one of the above areas the repair wont last very long. So dont trust just anyone who says he can weld to repair your frame!

Posted: May 26, 2009 at 12:37 Quote
í talked to the LBS manager, he told me to go to this guy that has welded all the cracked frames that went trhough him, and if the LBS owner himself told me to go there, then i think it's safe...?

Posted: May 26, 2009 at 16:25 Quote
TyreBurningBiker wrote:
í talked to the LBS manager, he told me to go to this guy that has welded all the cracked frames that went trhough him, and if the LBS owner himself told me to go there, then i think it's safe...?

I suggest asking this owner for the contact details of the owners of these repaired frames and speak to the owner directly to hear if the repair has lasted and if so how long has it been since the repair was done.

It will be good if you can have a look at some of the frames too and then decide.tup

Posted: May 26, 2009 at 16:35 Quote
have you tried contacting the manufacturer and asking if they could help you out.might not be warranty but if your going to pay to have someone repair it it might as well be the people who built it.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016874
Mobile Version of Website