Powered by Outside

Car starts but turns off?

PB Forum :: Off-Topic
Car starts but turns off?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jun 22, 2009 at 16:41 Quote
okay so i picked up a fwd non turbo talon for 600 bucks,i have been driving it for a while but the alternator is pooched so i just charge the battery everyother day.so yesterday i was driving it and got home then tried going again and it started then turned off so i thought okay the battery is dead.But today i tried again and it still wont continue running,i can start it and then it will die about 3 seconds after and i did this about 7 times to try and find out why it might be doing this.I also have a talon tsi with lots of stuff done to it,but this car is for my gf and i want to make sure it works good.so far it has been working fine.any suggestions would be nice thanks.

Posted: Jun 22, 2009 at 17:52 Quote
Just means your alternators really dead now... Replace it and you should be good to go... assuming thats the only thing wrong with the car

Posted: Jun 22, 2009 at 18:51 Quote
gibson19 wrote:
Just means your alternators really dead now... Replace it and you should be good to go... assuming thats the only thing wrong with the car
yeah but even with the battery charger hooked up it still turns off,because you can drive without an alternator as long as your battery is charged.So i really dont know what is wrong because it has been working perfectly fine until yesterday when i tried starting it back up.

Posted: Jun 22, 2009 at 20:05 Quote
Have you checked your spark plugs? Maybe they're gapped out? Is the motor carburated?

Posted: Jun 22, 2009 at 20:11 Quote
Fuel pump on the fritz or a clogged fuel filter could cause the engine to die.

Posted: Jun 23, 2009 at 8:45 Quote
Change your altenator before anything else. your not supposed to drive your vehicle without one because it puts a strain on the electrical system. you probibly fried your battery from charging and uncharging it so much. Altenator was the first thing you should have done. your vehicle will drive without one but it goes into a "Limp mode" which you are only supposed to drive on for emergency`s (like to get home, to a shop, ect.) its not made to drive without an altenator.

Posted: Jun 23, 2009 at 12:22 Quote
therealblinky wrote:
Change your altenator before anything else. your not supposed to drive your vehicle without one because it puts a strain on the electrical system. you probibly fried your battery from charging and uncharging it so much. Altenator was the first thing you should have done. your vehicle will drive without one but it goes into a "Limp mode" which you are only supposed to drive on for emergency`s (like to get home, to a shop, ect.) its not made to drive without an altenator.
the battery can still start the car without being hooked up to the charger,i have started it about 20 times with the battery and the car will run if i hold the key turned which is bad for it but i tried and it worked.I have gone over all the fuses and they are all fine,when it starts up it smells rich so it may be to do with the fuel pump but i dont know why.I was driving it on sunday all day then got home after about an hour i went to go back out and it didnt work.so when it didnt work yesterday i thought it may be something wrong with the battery but it can still start the car fine.

Posted: Jun 24, 2009 at 19:59 Quote
langfordreppin wrote:
gibson19 wrote:
yeah but even with the battery charger hooked up it still turns off,because you can drive without an alternator as long as your battery is charged.So i really dont know what is wrong because it has been working perfectly fine until yesterday when i tried starting it back up.
Your battery charger does not put out anywhere near enough current to keep the car running.

You know a probable cause to your issue..one that has to be done anyways so why not just make the smart move and swap the alternator out and go from there?

Posted: Jun 24, 2009 at 20:25 Quote
Throw a volt meter on the battery and see what your numbers are doing. Either that or pop the alternator out and bring it on over to your local parts store, most chain stores can bench test it for you while you wait.

If your car smells like its running rich then you've more than likely thrown a code and the engine has gone into limp mode. If it were the fuel pump, you would not be getting fuel period.

Posted: Jun 24, 2009 at 20:34 Quote
ezekiel wrote:
Throw a volt meter on the battery and see what your numbers are doing.
For reference your voltage on the battery at rest with car off should be no lower then 12v and with the car running and no load should be no lower then 13v.

Unless you have a deep cycle battery, numerous charges and discharges of your battery could very well have fried it.

Posted: Jun 25, 2009 at 18:37 Quote
Actually Geezir, it SHOULD be 14.4 volts while charging. Realistically you should expect around 14v at an idle as most alt's won't charge below 2000rpm.

Replace your alt, charge your battery, reset your computer, and then go from there. Actually, if you are still horny about trying to get the car to run with no alt, unhook your battery, put the ignition to the acc. spot, then turn your headlights on and wait for a bit, put her back to the "off" position, hook your battery up, and try again. If it is a simple problem with the computer that should take care of it.

Posted: Jun 25, 2009 at 18:39 Quote
jonbikes wrote:
Actually Geezir, it SHOULD be 14.4 volts while charging. Realistically you should expect around 14v at an idle as most alt's won't charge below 2000rpm
Yes but that's with a fully functioning alt and as he mentioned his alt isn't fully functioning. Anything below around 13v and your car will have issues running, mainly stalling.

Posted: Jun 25, 2009 at 18:42 Quote
OK OK lets call it a draw.

Posted: Jun 25, 2009 at 20:06 Quote
thanks for the help guys,I am going to be replacing the alt which is probably the problem.I had the alt tested already and it is garbage didnt charge the battery enough, so when the rad fans come on it is drawing from the battery

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012382
Mobile Version of Website