what kind of bike should i get my girl friend

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
what kind of bike should i get my girl friend
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jun 28, 2009 at 17:03 Quote
My girl friend is about 5'5 and 139 lbs and she wants to start to come riding with me, catch is she wants to do the same stuff i do. Jumps, DH, FR and what not with a little bit of pedaling. money is no problem its just either getting her a mens bike in a small with girl colors or x-small , or a girls bike with enough travel and looks good and great quality and same with the ride. any advice i could get would be awsome and links to sites would be great to.

thanks to all
Zenas

Posted: Jun 28, 2009 at 17:07 Quote
the norco vixa ladies bike would be great. my bike is xtra small and you could call it a girl colour (blue) and its good for all that.

O+
Posted: Jun 28, 2009 at 17:17 Quote
yeah, i fully agree with the Norco mentioned above. But as money is a none-issue... consider a nice build on a Transition Syren.

Posted: Jun 28, 2009 at 17:31 Quote
zc8rider wrote:
My girl friend is about 5'5 and 139 lbs and she wants to start to come riding with me, catch is she wants to do the same stuff i do. Jumps, DH, FR and what not with a little bit of pedaling. money is no problem its just either getting her a mens bike in a small with girl colors or x-small , or a girls bike with enough travel and looks good and great quality and same with the ride. any advice i could get would be awsome and links to sites would be great to.

thanks to all
Zenas

As others have said you can't go wrong with the Vixa or Syren. I do have to question though, are you sure this girlfriend is gonna be around long enough to justify buying her a new bike? Just throwin that out there...

Posted: Jun 28, 2009 at 17:36 Quote
You can't go wrong with a syren and a nice white fox float 36 in white. I would also suggest a size small reign x. The small reign x's are very light and are great bikes to jump on and to pedal on. If you can wait long enough, the 2010's are going to be drastically lighter and more female friendly.

Posted: Jun 28, 2009 at 21:39 Quote
[Quote="As others have said you can't go wrong with the Vixa or Syren. I do have to question though, are you sure this girlfriend is gonna be around long enough to justify buying her a new bike? Just throwin that out there...[/Quote]

She's getting me a 2009 cove shocker frame brand new for my birthday and yea i think it will last for a long time and "it" being our relationship. so point is she's getting me that and she also wants to prove that she can do everything i can do.

also speaking of x-small mens frames with around 7inchs of travel or is that to much for her to through around and i saw the vixen. i liked it for what it is. thanks for the help guys keep taking about it i have a few months to buy it for her birthday.

Mod
Posted: Jun 28, 2009 at 22:18 Quote
Quinn-39 wrote:
yeah, i fully agree with the Norco mentioned above. But as money is a none-issue... consider a nice build on a Transition Syren.

Both those bikes are heavy and pedal like crap. For the $4000 or so price tag that each of those retail for/around, there are way nicer bikes component wise and platform wise. She isn't too short and is tall enough that most small frames will fit her and she doesn't require a WSD (women's specific bike). WSD bikes are all marketing hype/gimmick. Look very closely at the geometry chart of the Vixa, Syren, and Minxy (Kona's WSD bike) and then compare it to an all-mountain bike in size small and you will see that the geometry varies by very little!

I’d look into a Reign X series bike. If money is no option, look into the Reign X0 and buy a chainguide and possibly a new wheelset. You can also look into the SC Nomad.

Posted: Jun 28, 2009 at 22:34 Quote
i was just looking at a intense Slope Style. big money but worth it i think

Mod
Posted: Jun 28, 2009 at 22:37 Quote
I've heard mixed reviews of it. The welds and finishing on the SS aren't in sync with what Intense is known for.

Posted: Jun 28, 2009 at 22:40 Quote
well im looking for something the same style. like i like the angles on the bike and the amount of travel and im guessing its pretty light for what it is. so something like that frame out there with the quality.

O+
Posted: Jun 28, 2009 at 23:21 Quote
Here you go......http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebikes/fullsuspension/dakarxam/09_dakarxam2_spec.html
photo

O+
Posted: Jun 29, 2009 at 7:15 Quote
if she plans on doing any pedalling don't get her a syren or vixa. My syren isn't built for that and when there's any pedalling envolved I'm way behind on the pack.

My girlfriend had a jamis dakar and she really likes it but if money isn't an issue I'd look at getting a Nomad. Really nice bikes that's great for just about anything!

Posted: Jun 29, 2009 at 7:26 Quote
what company is that

O+
Posted: Jun 29, 2009 at 7:40 Quote
santa cruz nomad

Posted: Jun 29, 2009 at 7:54 Quote
Yeah. it really depends, does she want to trail ride and do a little jumping on the side, or does she want to freeride/jump and she needs to be able to pedal between obstacles? If the latter, go with a more freeride specific bike like a syren, Specialized SX Trail (which can be built very light) or Giant reign x. If the former go with a burly all mountain bike like a Commencal meta 55 or 66, a speciaized Enduro SL, a Rocky Mountain slayer, a Cannondale moto,Diamondback Mission, Pivot Mach 6, Santa Cruz Nomad, Mongoose Kyhber, Intense Tracer VPP, the new GT bike, or Jamis Dakar XAM. I highly suggest the Pivot, Mongoose, Intense, and Rocky Mountain. A third option would be to get a slopestyle bike like a Rocky Mountain Slayer SS, Intense SS, Transition Bottlerocket, or Specialized SX. These bikes can be built very light and can range in rear travel from 100mm to 165 mm. They are very female friendly with low slung top tubes and are great for learning to ride anything as they have very versatile geometry, frames that are burly and crashable without being to heavy, and pedal friendly suspension that will forgive mistakes on stunts but will also reward good technique with plush action and great cornering.

PS: The mongoose Kybher is a great option as it is very well priced. It sounds like it has plenty of travel for what your girl needs, and you would have tons of leftover $ to deck it out with ultra light, sweet looking high end components.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.021012
Mobile Version of Website