Powered by Outside

Dear Pinkbike, I want a road bike but I know nothing about them.

PB Forum :: 29ers
Dear Pinkbike, I want a road bike but I know nothing about them.
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jul 5, 2009 at 22:35 Quote
So these past few days Ive been watching road bikers come flying down the mountain at mach turkey, and I cant help but think to myself "Damn, that looks like so much fun."
Ive kind of wanted a road bike for a while now, but I really have no clue where to start.
But, before you get going this isnt one of those "What bike should I get?" threads. This is a "Please teach me about the world of road biking" thread.

So yeah, I want to learn. Enlighten me.

Posted: Jul 5, 2009 at 22:56 Quote
Most road weenies like to climb and most cannot descend to save their life..........My constant battle while riding with roadies is battling to keep up going up all the hills.... and getting them out of the way on the descents.

I actually feel more comfortable on super steep tech trails than riding road with all the crazy motorists out there... People break bones doing FR/DH... people get killed riding road bikes.

It is good for learning to spin though.. But I would rather take a spin class and be able to ogle some of the ladies in the class

Posted: Jul 5, 2009 at 22:58 Quote
dinkboy wrote:
Most road weenies like to climb and most cannot descend to save their life..........My constant battle while riding with roadies is battling to keep up going up all the hills.... and getting them out of the way on the descents.

I actually feel more comfortable on super steep tech trails than riding road with all the crazy motorists out there... People break bones doing FR/DH... people get killed riding road bikes.

It is good for learning to spin though.. But I would rather take a spin class and be able to ogle some of the ladies in the class
Thats the beauty of living where I do.
You should see some of the roads here.
I mean, even the residential back roads are nuts, and we really dont have problems with drivers and roadies.

Posted: Jul 5, 2009 at 23:19 Quote
piltz wrote:
road bikes are gay
i guess that's why there are so many more men riding road bikes instead of women!

but seriously dont use a sexual orientational word to voice your feelings and opinions it's just childish

Posted: Jul 5, 2009 at 23:24 Quote
Can we just not spew intolerance in my thread? That would be cool.
If you dont have anything intelligent to add, Id appreciate it if you could just jog on.
K, thanks.

Posted: Jul 5, 2009 at 23:29 Quote
Look into Cyclocross and Touring bikes. Whatever you do don't get race bike!

Friction shifters and 32c tires is good. Carbon fiber and lycra is bad.

This is my road bike. It's 35 years old. Cost me $300. Done deal!

photo

Posted: Jul 6, 2009 at 0:21 Quote
dunno how tall u are but i had a convo with one of my buddies from my LBS

what size of road bike would i ride? im 6ft
thx

More than likley a 56 or 57cm depending on the manufacture. With road bikes theres a few more things to take into consideration for fit, like leg lengh, torso lenth etc.Doctor tell ya to get a road bike.

alright. isnt leg length done with the seat height and torso with stem length
no i just want something fast and easier to ride than my fr bike and also something to ride in the winter

The seat height is fine tune adjusted with the seat post. As bikes get bigger the seat tube angle is slackened to account for longer femors. If you rode a bike that was too small for you, you wouldnt have proper leg extension and would put alot of torque on your knee. Too long a stem and the bike rides like ass. Too short a stem it wont turn.

p.s if ur wondering about the doctor mention its about my knee surgery

Posted: Jul 6, 2009 at 1:46 Quote
Seeing as no one has really answered your question yet I thought I might have a go. Most mtbr's think road riding is very boring and I thought it would be to, untill I tried it and now I'm hooked. When you get in a big bunch it is anything but boring. You have people only cm's away from you and any laps in concentration will cause a big pile up. This is definetly not boring. On a decent hill it is easy to reach speeds over 60Kmh without really trying. Carbon fibre is widely know as the best maerial for the same reasons as mtbing, light ans stiff. Lycra is your best friend. If you don't wear lycra on a road bike you will get laughed at. Lycra is incredibally comfortable, especially bib shorts, you will never get chaffing with a decent pair of these. You should definately clip in. Mountain bike clips are fine for beginners but if you get more serious then you should consider bying road specific ones. Hope this helps. If you have more questions I'll try to help!

Posted: Jul 6, 2009 at 1:53 Quote
i would suggest for you a kona jake, as they are comfortable and easy to ride and come with comfy cyclocross tyres as well.

you can get them with toeclips, or clip in pedals if u have the shoes.

Posted: Jul 6, 2009 at 8:37 Quote
Sweet, so thus far Ive learned that:
I should be looking for a bike sized around 56 or 57cm due to my height.
Stay away from race bikes, and don't be afraid to consider cyclocross bikes.
Lycra is where its at.
And clip-ins are the way to go.

Thanks guys, keep it coming!

Posted: Jul 6, 2009 at 8:43 Quote
i Have just started road biking and it is a load of fun

spesh allez for £530 would be your best bet it is what i have and its brill i have just changed the seat.

Posted: Jul 6, 2009 at 17:04 Quote
Why are you staying away from race bikes?

O+
Posted: Jul 6, 2009 at 17:45 Quote
There's nothing wrong with using a race bike. They difference between them and a non race bike is that they have a longer top-tube and therefore are more stretched out. This puts the rider in a more aerodynamic, but strenuous position.

Picking the right road bike is a lot like picking the right mountain bike. It may seem like they are the same, and it's true that they are more similar than mountain bikes, but there are still differences.

If you're going to be racing, then you need a race bike. Like I said, you'll be more stretched out, and there will be drop bars to provide multiple hand positions. The tires will be narrower (23c-25c) for less rolling resistance.

A non-competitive road bike will put you in a slightly more upright position but will still have drop bars. The tires will be slightly wider (25c-28c) for increased comfort. Other small things such as a seat with more padding also increse ride quality. The frame will be designed in a way to absorb more road vibration than a race frame which is designed for optimal power transfer.

Cyclocross bikes have similar geometry to the above bikes, so you are more upright. The upside is that they offer more versatility. If you're going to be riding mostly road with some off road riding on tame singletrack or gravel roads, this is the bike for you. However, the wider, knobbier tires will only slow you down on the road. If you already own a dedicated moutain bike, there is no need to purchase a cyclocross bike for road riding.

Touring bikes are one to stay away from for road biking. Most will come with flat bars which leaves you in an upright position exposed to the wind and with less options for hand placement. They also tend to come with unnessicary accessories like racks and fenders.

O+
Posted: Jul 6, 2009 at 17:56 Quote
Lots of misconceptions in this thread, in my opinion.

1. "Don't use MTB clipless pedals."

Use them. Use whatever you want. There's nothing that makes road clips better and a huge percentage of road riders use SPD.

2. "Touring bikes have flat bars."

No, they don't. They have drops. Yes, they have rack mounts and are made to carry more stuff, and are heavier and longer.

3. "Race bikes are just as good."

Nah. Race bikes are stiff and uncomfortable for real riding. They are often very short as well, leaving you with a lack of shoe clearance with the front wheel. Falling sucks. Don't get a bike that doesn't clear.

4. "Carbon fiber is the best material."

Again, no. It's great for racing, but (depending on the weave) it's very stiff and often quite harsh. I recommend steel - I wish my road bike was steel - both my singlespeed and fixed gear frames are steel and they're noticeably more comfortable while staying stiff enough for hammering.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012674
Mobile Version of Website