Powered by Outside

General marzocchi fox and RS suspension talk and Q&A

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
General marzocchi fox and RS suspension talk and Q&A
Posted: Aug 26, 2009 at 10:52 Quote
First of all, I have searched the forums to make sure there isn't another fourm like this one
There are just too many small fourms about people having problems with forks and shocks from marzocchi and fox, so just post and talk about them here instead of making small thread. also, don't flame or dis the companies, both are very good

FL
Posted: Aug 26, 2009 at 10:58 Quote
the compression knob on my 2006 66 sl fell off for no reason and now by the end of the day its really soft but then the next day its not and feels normal

Posted: Aug 26, 2009 at 11:00 Quote
do you still have the knob?, and are you riding at a bike park?

FL
Posted: Aug 26, 2009 at 11:03 Quote
ya i have the knob in my backpack and yes im riding in the bike park but only somtimes

and the bike park looks like this on all the trails

FL
Posted: Aug 26, 2009 at 11:05 Quote
and no thats not my video

Posted: Aug 26, 2009 at 11:10 Quote
put your knob back on, and just ride, my 08 66 ata does that because of the open bath damper in it, you will eventually get some damping fade, which is what you are feeling, as the air gets mixed in with the oil, usually it shouln't make too much difference on a few runs, but after 3 or 4 runs you will feel your fork get softer because the damping doesn't work as well with air mixed in the oil.

FL
Posted: Aug 26, 2009 at 11:15 Quote
the knob dosnt go back on the bolt it was attached to sheared off somehow

Posted: Aug 26, 2009 at 11:16 Quote
does the problem bother you much?

FL
Posted: Aug 26, 2009 at 11:17 Quote
not really but i thought i would get this thread going

Posted: Aug 26, 2009 at 11:24 Quote
alright then just keep riding and don't worry about it

Posted: Aug 26, 2009 at 17:50 Quote
I always rode motocross and snowcross so im no stranger to speed and jumps. I picked up a 2004 santacruz v-10 frame for $200 and it had a bunch of other stuff so I really just need suspention. This is my first downhill bike and I dont know shit about brands and witch is best and everything like that.

For the best bang for the buck witch fork should I run. Im sort of aiming at 888. (???ata rcv rc3 worldcup??? whats the difernce???)

And for shock I like the looks of the fox dhx 5.0 but witch spring would I want? I wieght 140 pounds.

Like I siad ive done motocross and snowcross so I know what speed and jumps are all about and want to be able to use this downhill bike to its full potential.

What do you think would be a good set up?

FL
Posted: Aug 26, 2009 at 18:03 Quote
to me marzocchi are awesome cos they dont need heaps of care where as the fox forks need new seals and oil every now and then, but fox make stronger outter stuff like bolts and lowers etc.

Posted: Aug 26, 2009 at 18:12 Quote
santacruzv10forsale wrote:
I always rode motocross and snowcross so im no stranger to speed and jumps. I picked up a 2004 santacruz v-10 frame for $200 and it had a bunch of other stuff so I really just need suspention. This is my first downhill bike and I dont know shit about brands and witch is best and everything like that.

For the best bang for the buck witch fork should I run. Im sort of aiming at 888. (???ata rcv rc3 worldcup??? whats the difernce???)

And for shock I like the looks of the fox dhx 5.0 but witch spring would I want? I wieght 140 pounds.

Like I siad ive done motocross and snowcross so I know what speed and jumps are all about and want to be able to use this downhill bike to its full potential.

What do you think would be a good set up?
a 888 is the best choice. as for the model, it deoends on whether you want coil or air sprung. for a rear spring maybe a 350# would be best.

Posted: Aug 26, 2009 at 18:21 Quote
go for an older 40 or an older 888. the new 888s suck and the old 40's are cheaper and are still just as smooth as the new ones. 40's need more maintenance, 888s need less. 40's have better performance and are structurally stiffer and better for DH racing than 888s are. i'd go for the 40s

Posted: Aug 26, 2009 at 18:36 Quote
So yea I guess im sold on the fox dhx 5.0 with 350 spring. I came across one really cheep brand new on ebay.

I want to buy new becuse that way ill know it works and wont be damaged at all.

So now lets talk forks. Keeping in mind I want to buy new and want the best bang for the buck cuase I also dont want to spend alot.

Im looking into the 888rcv 2009 for $550 or
888rc3 2009 for $700.

Is there a big difernce between the two. Is that bit of extra tuneability worth the extra cash.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010527
Mobile Version of Website