Powered by Outside

How do you clean clean a contaminated shimano deore break pads?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
How do you clean clean a contaminated shimano deore break pads?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Nov 17, 2007 at 13:04 Quote
Hi guys!
I have a slight problem with my breaks; I think I have contaminated pads and rotor. I am going to change my 160mm rotor to a 203mm, but i'm afraid that the big rotor will get contaminated by the pads. Do any of you know a way of cleaning shimano deore pads?

Posted: Nov 17, 2007 at 13:06 Quote
I'm not sure i'm completely understanding what your saying, but whenever my pads need a nice clean I take them both out, put on some flat surface with a towel underneath and lightly sand them with fine sand paper. Usually after that they are nice and "uncontaminated" and no rubbing.

Posted: Nov 17, 2007 at 13:07 Quote
The pads i've got are quite new so i dont want to buy new ones.

Posted: Nov 17, 2007 at 13:08 Quote
once they are contaminated they will never be the same. buy new ones. they arn't that much

O+
Posted: Nov 17, 2007 at 13:11 Quote
jae2006 wrote:
The pads i've got are quite new so i dont want to buy new ones.
yes i understand but, dude its happened to me. i got a bit of oil on them and they were brand new also yet when a break pad is contaminated it is finished. you must buy a new one. and yes i have tried meathods like sanding them and even blow torching them. it works but really not good enough they will never have the sane power as they did when they werent contaminated. as for you discs make sure you clean the with a disc brake cleaner or rubbing alcohol b4 installing new pads.

Posted: Nov 17, 2007 at 13:16 Quote
ya what he said ^^ using those pads may even fool up the disk. buy new pads then put camp fuel on the dick (when its off you bike) and light it on fire. it will burn all the old grease and oil off them.

O+
Posted: Nov 17, 2007 at 18:22 Quote
trailer wrote:
ya what he said ^^ using those pads may even fool up the disk. buy new pads then put camp fuel on the dick (when its off you bike) and light it on fire. it will burn all the old grease and oil off them.
true i forgot to tell him about burning off the alcohol

O+
Posted: Nov 17, 2007 at 19:40 Quote
jae2006 wrote:
Hi guys!
I have a slight problem with my breaks; I think I have contaminated pads and rotor. I am going to change my 160mm rotor to a 203mm, but i'm afraid that the big rotor will get contaminated by the pads. Do any of you know a way of cleaning shimano deore pads?

I have actually heard of guys baking it off in an oven.

Posted: Nov 17, 2007 at 19:45 Quote
maestroforlife wrote:
jae2006 wrote:
Hi guys!

I have actually heard of guys baking it off in an oven.

that would be a new one to me

Posted: Nov 17, 2007 at 20:00 Quote
are people that poor? most brake pad sets around here are less than 20$

O+
Posted: Nov 17, 2007 at 20:31 Quote
Hummeroid wrote:
are people that poor? most brake pad sets around here are less than 20$

Some people just make a dollar stretch...more power to them.

Posted: Nov 19, 2007 at 8:45 Quote
i get oil on my pads, its a piece of cake, take the pads out, find a little jar( or summit like that with a lid) soke them in degreaser or petrol. wipe your disc with the degreaser and clean it. put ya pads back in and there you go.

Posted: Nov 19, 2007 at 8:55 Quote
trailer wrote:
then put camp fuel on the dick and light it on fire. it will burn all the old grease and oil off

Oh man, that's harsh. Ever hear of soap?

Posted: Nov 19, 2007 at 9:13 Quote
u can sand them until there goldish if the contamination is not too deep
but if it is just buy new onesWink

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010484
Mobile Version of Website