Pinkbike will be undergoing scheduled maintenance on May 29 at 9pm PST for up to 6 hours. We apologize for any inconvenience caused during this time.
Powered by Outside

Shimano saint hone crank problems

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Shimano saint hone crank problems
  • Previous Page
Posted: Oct 19, 2009 at 9:13 Quote
I have a shimano hone hollowtech crank installed on my bike but don't have the crank arm cap for non-drive side and the arm keeps falling off! does anybody know where I can get replacement or if dura ace or some other shimano crank cap will work?

thanks!

Posted: Oct 19, 2009 at 9:21 Quote
cap the cap just preloads it doesnt hold it on.

Posted: Oct 19, 2009 at 9:28 Quote
marquis wrote:

so my crank arm is falling off cause i'm not clamping tight enough? okey thanks

Posted: Oct 19, 2009 at 9:48 Quote
captainron wrote:
marquis wrote:

also check the width of your bb shell and make sure you have the right amount of bb spacers in there.

3 spacers for a 68mm shell and 1 spacer for a 73mm shell.

Posted: Oct 19, 2009 at 10:35 Quote
marquis wrote:
captainron wrote:
marquis wrote:

also check the width of your bb shell and make sure you have the right amount of bb spacers in there.

3 spacers for a 68mm shell and 1 spacer for a 73mm shell.

okey thanks Marquis. I think I'm being too timid when tightening bolts, or they're just loosening up a bit.

Posted: Oct 19, 2009 at 10:40 Quote
Those bolts should be evenly tightened to 12-15 Nm.

Posted: Oct 19, 2009 at 10:46 Quote
pipes10 wrote:
Those bolts should be evenly tightened to 12-15 Nm.

i just tighten until they leave an impression on my hand,or cant tighten them anymore.

Posted: Oct 19, 2009 at 10:48 Quote
I'm all about torque wrenches.

Posted: Oct 19, 2009 at 10:49 Quote
pipes10 wrote:
I'm all about torque wrenches.

gives you something to torque about i suppose.lol

FL
Posted: Oct 19, 2009 at 11:32 Quote
captainron wrote:
marquis wrote:

you probably should get a replacemnet one though... just to be on the safe side. i found with my lx cranks that if the end cap was missing or loose then the pinch bolts would work loose no matter how tight i did them up. the ed caps arent that expensive and you can order them from chainrwaction or leisure lakes easily

Posted: Oct 19, 2009 at 12:12 Quote
almightybenners wrote:
captainron wrote:
marquis wrote:

you probably should get a replacemnet one though... just to be on the safe side. i found with my lx cranks that if the end cap was missing or loose then the pinch bolts would work loose no matter how tight i did them up. the ed caps arent that expensive and you can order them from chainrwaction or leisure lakes easily

the end cap is purely there to preload the cranks,and in actual fact the pinch bolts lock the cap in place.

FL
Posted: Oct 19, 2009 at 12:22 Quote
marquis wrote:
almightybenners wrote:
captainron wrote:

the end cap is purely there to preload the cranks,and in actual fact the pinch bolts lock the cap in place.
i didnt dispute that, i merely stated that it was advisable to run the end cap as it's generally safer having everything that's meant to be on your bike, on your bike and done up tightly.

Posted: Oct 19, 2009 at 12:25 Quote
ah i get you,will also make preloading easier too.Salute

Posted: Oct 19, 2009 at 12:51 Quote
The preload cap does in fact keep the crankarm from sliding off/loosening etc. It works like a cassette lockring in a way.

Once it's preloaded and you tighten the pinch bolts to the correct torque (12-15nm) then the spindle will have been compressed enough to lock the preload cap solid in place (try taking the preload cap out once the pinch bolts are tight to see) Then once done that preload cap will not move at all and it stops the crank from working it's way off.

Without the preload cap the axle is free to compress without being structurally supported, so the crank will not get sufficient grip on the spindle, ever. Not using the preload cap when torquing the pinch bolts is dangerous and can crush your spindle, rendering your crank useless. The part is a necessary part and is available as a spare from most bike shops. Most shops will even have one or more in stock. They retail for £1.99 or less depending on what model your crankset is.

Posted: Oct 19, 2009 at 12:52 Quote
dh-pete wrote:
The preload cap does in fact keep the crankarm from sliding off/loosening etc. It works like a cassette lockring in a way.

Once it's preloaded and you tighten the pinch bolts to the correct torque (12-15nm) then the spindle will have been compressed enough to lock the preload cap solid in place (try taking the preload cap out once the pinch bolts are tight to see) Then once done that preload cap will not move at all and it stops the crank from working it's way off.

Without the preload cap the axle is free to compress without being structurally supported, so the crank will not get sufficient grip on the spindle, ever. Not using the preload cap when torquing the pinch bolts is dangerous and can crush your spindle, rendering your crank useless. The part is a necessary part and is available as a spare from most bike shops. Most shops will even have one or more in stock. They retail for £1.99 or less depending on what model your crankset is.

well thats me corrected good old pete.Salute

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.072380
Mobile Version of Website