Help choosing my first freeride bike

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Help choosing my first freeride bike
  • Previous Page
Posted: Dec 25, 2009 at 1:44 Quote
Hey Guys, I'm an avid reader of these forums but I hardly ever post, so please bear with me Big Grin

I know there are heaps of threads out similar to this, but I just wanted some quality advice on my particular situation.

So, I have around $3500 AUD to spend, but less is better. I'm looking for a bike that I can basically have fun on, I won't be using it for any serious racing, but I will take it mostly on DH trails. I'm thinking a single crown would be best, cause the bike will also be taken off downhill style gaps and drops, and I like the flexibility of a single crown. I'm about 190cm and 75kg.

Right now I'm thinking an Sunday Elite would be the way to go, just cause I can get it so cheap (around $3300 AUD) and it seems to fit what I want. Also thinking about a demo 7.

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Posted: Dec 25, 2009 at 2:13 Quote
if you dont know, iron horse have gone bust. so if you do choose the Sunday getting derailleur hangers, bearing will be hard to get. but they are still amazing bikes, more dh though so if your doing pure freeride i would recommend an sx trail or a demo.

Posted: Dec 25, 2009 at 2:33 Quote
thanks man, I knew the company was no more, but I never thought about how it would be difficult to get replacement parts... definitely something to consider.

I don't want to get a bike like the SX just because most of the trails I ride are really rocky and unmaintained, and I think that I need something with at least 7" of travel.

thanks for your help, anyone else got a suggestion?

Posted: Dec 25, 2009 at 3:12 Quote
LongyZ wrote:
thanks man, I knew the company was no more, but I never thought about how it would be difficult to get replacement parts... definitely something to consider.

I don't want to get a bike like the SX just because most of the trails I ride are really rocky and unmaintained, and I think that I need something with at least 7" of travel.

giant faith

Posted: Dec 25, 2009 at 5:46 Quote
+1
patrikorlainsky wrote:
LongyZ wrote:

giant faith

Posted: Dec 25, 2009 at 6:00 Quote
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.bikerumor.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/2010-giant-faith-mountain-bike.jpgthe miestro suspension desing looks pretty simular to the sunday

Posted: Dec 25, 2009 at 6:21 Quote
LongyZ wrote:

Bearings and Hangers shouldnt be an issue as Iron Horse had a contractor who produced them, and still do, so I wouldnt consider that as a issue Smile

Posted: Dec 25, 2009 at 6:21 Quote
towers08 wrote:
if you dont know, iron horse have gone bust. so if you do choose the Sunday getting derailleur hangers, bearing will be hard to get. but they are still amazing bikes, more dh though so if your doing pure freeride i would recommend an sx trail or a demo.
what? how would bearings and hangers be hard to get. BETD make their hangers, and when the bearings are worn out you can just pop them out and there is a code written on the seals. type the code into ebay and theres the bearings you need

Posted: Dec 25, 2009 at 6:40 Quote
Corsair Maelstrom
Giant Faith
Scott Voltage FR,

There are a bunch of other bikes. Just gotta look for them.

I would recommend an 8" rig. After a few days you'll realize you'll want a bigger bike and you'll have to spend more money. Getting a big bike right away will eliminate that.

This bike isn't really that close to you but keep in mind, Devinci makes some quality rides. They're all handmade in Canada too!
Devinci Johnson.

Posted: Dec 25, 2009 at 23:42 Quote
I think you would be pretty happy with an sx trail, mine pretty much handles everything. But as said above,
the new faith is pretty sweet.

Posted: Dec 25, 2009 at 23:45 Quote
norcofreerider8 wrote:
I think you would be pretty happy with an sx trail, mine pretty much handles everything. But as said above,
sxts are really nice bikes, lighter than the demo so thats a plus, and by what youve said i think it will suit your riding style a bit better. they can take gnarly drops too (watch nwd 9, darren berrecloths segment, some of that is on an SXT)

Posted: Dec 26, 2009 at 1:55 Quote
yo13bo wrote:
norcofreerider8 wrote:
sxts are really nice bikes, lighter than the demo so thats a plus, and by what youve said i think it will suit your riding style a bit better. they can take gnarly drops too (watch nwd 9, darren berrecloths segment, some of that is on an SXT)
first section in roam is on an sex trail too

Posted: Dec 26, 2009 at 2:34 Quote
VTwintips wrote:
bighit. cheap, strong, good components.https://www.pinkbike.com/product/specialized/BigHit-FSR-II/

And heavy.

I would go for the faith if it was me, but ultimately it's up to you.

Posted: Dec 26, 2009 at 2:46 Quote
definatley the faith or a norco shore?

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012424
Mobile Version of Website