Marzocchi 380 Master Thread

PB Forum :: Marzocchi
Marzocchi 380 Master Thread
Posted: Dec 7, 2016 at 15:35 Quote
the steel spring has larger clearances and you can get away with thicker tuber, how much thicker you say? i have no idea

Posted: Dec 18, 2016 at 19:08 Quote
Any thoughts guys?
The threads on the spring side foot nut cracked and is about shear off completely.
Also one of the axle clamp inserts within the lowers stripped at just 4nm.
Have ye experienced this?

photo

Posted: Jan 6, 2017 at 17:36 Quote
So, sent the fork back for repair but in the mean time i was thinking, are there any negative effects of creating a vacuum in the spring stanchion (other than increasing dive)?
Ive done this before by tightening the preload cap while the fork is compressed a few centimeters and it really helped with small bump compliance

Posted: Jan 6, 2017 at 21:17 Quote
It can cause premature service intervals. The way the fork keeps the oil from squirting out when copressed is by way of a pressure seal that tightens around the sanction as pressure builds. By creating an initial vacuume you change the pressure during the initial stroke which would allow more oil than normal to pass through the seal which can cause the dust wipers to give way prematurely. Creating that vacuume also lowers the mid stroke support... Small bump compliance on these forks are second to none though so if you're having problems with that you might want to look at setup first.

Posted: Jan 7, 2017 at 0:13 Quote
Looking to trim down my elastomer as only getting about 5 inches of travel.Confused But don't want to do a full overhaul just now, what is the best way to fish out the bump stop from the top once the spring is removed?

I like to change one thing at a time so I can evaluate the effects, so don't want to do the full strip down and mess with different oil levels until I have a few rides with same set-up and closer to full travel.

Posted: Jan 7, 2017 at 0:56 Quote
The elastomer is just snuggly pressed in and easily comes out with a tug so extra long needle nose pliers or something similar should do the trick once the spring is out and you fully compress the fork.

Posted: Jan 7, 2017 at 14:16 Quote
Cheers man, will give this a shot. Hadn't looked down there in too much detail last time I changed the spring.

Posted: Jan 7, 2017 at 18:24 Quote
Guess i should just go down to a soft spring then? Im 70kg rider and find its a bit choppy even more so on road where id expect buttery smooth. Even installed a set of skf seals and the difference is negligible (on the C2R2 with standard anodized stanchions)

Posted: Jan 7, 2017 at 19:24 Quote
The spring shouldn't have an effect on a "choppy" feeling on a flat road... My 380 had a "sticky" feel to it as it went through its travel as lots of others have encountered. There are a lot of causes/ solutions that have been shared around ranging from bad lowers to problems with the damper. Here's something you can try out to narrow down the problem you're having:
Flip the bike on its belly and try to compress the fork with the wheel on and take note of the notchiness.
Then take the wheel and axle off and try to compress it again.
If it feels like butter with the wheel off then you most likely have the same problem that I had which was a bad hub/lowers fitting. The way I fixed it was by adding two very thin shims to both sides of the hub. Something to note though is that you may actually have the opposite issue, where your hub is actually slitely too large from a set of bad lowers.

Posted: Jan 7, 2017 at 19:50 Quote
Awesome, ill try that as soon as it gets back.
Thanks for the info!

O+
Posted: Jan 12, 2017 at 12:02 Quote
380 C2R2 - 2015

Celadon/Jade spring colour means ? which spring i have ?

O+
Posted: Jan 12, 2017 at 13:38 Quote
Anybody got a spare part top crown
According to wind wave (U.K. Distribution)
No one has ever tried to order one????

Posted: Jan 13, 2017 at 17:59 Quote
razorjack wrote:
380 C2R2 - 2015

Celadon/Jade spring colour means ? which spring i have ?

You have firm spring. Comes pre-installed in 380's 2015 onwards, 2014 models had it spare in the box

Posted: Jan 25, 2017 at 14:53 Quote
In case anyone was curious, because of the 650B compatibility, you can fit up to a 26x3.0 tire on the 380.
Close up of tire clearance of old Nokian Gazoloddi 26 x3.0 tire on 2015 Marzocchi C2R2
Sun Ringle Doublewide rims Nokian Gazoloddi 26 x3.0 tires on a 2015 Marzocchi C2R2

Posted: Jan 26, 2017 at 17:31 Quote
crazyrob wrote:
In case anyone was curious, because of the 650B compatibility, you can fit up to a 26x3.0 tire on the 380.
Close up of tire clearance of old Nokian Gazoloddi 26 x3.0 tire on 2015 Marzocchi C2R2
Sun Ringle Doublewide rims Nokian Gazoloddi 26 x3.0 tires on a 2015 Marzocchi C2R2

Very nice, what inner rim width do have?
I was thinking about slapping a 26x3.0 on my 25mm rim. Not sure how dodgy that would be though.. Razz

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016912
Mobile Version of Website