Powered by Outside

2019 Stumpjumper Coil Shock

PB Forum :: Specialized
2019 Stumpjumper Coil Shock
Posted: Apr 18, 2021 at 20:30 Quote
I guess I went one further. I had a new dhx2 coil for a Bronson on the shelf. It is a legacy shock...7.875x2.25. That’s 200x57mm. I had a buddy machine me a few 10mm extended eyelets for the shock. It now measures 210x57. I installed a 2mm plastic washer behind the bottom out bumper just for extra security on the clearance thing. It all works. I have a 2019 alloy 29er frame, cascade link, and I use the “low” setting. One thing I really really like is the low speed rebound adjustment. The dhx2 has enough adjustment to cover the cascade link hs rebound issue fine. I weigh 180 and use a cane creek 500-610 dual rate spring. So far so good. I have some extra eyelets in the case that anyone wants to try it. Pm me for info.

Posted: Apr 24, 2021 at 19:42 Quote
Installed and been using my stumper with cascade link for about a month now very happy with it. I have a 29’er Medium 2020 Stumpjumper with DPX2 210 X 52.5 .86S @ 170’ Pounds @ 225 PSI and no bottom out so far, tried it at Squamish, Seymour and Froome here in BC.
photo
photo
photo

Posted: Apr 24, 2021 at 22:20 Quote
Roldz wrote:
Installed and been using my stumper with cascade link for about a month now very happy with it. I have a 29’er Medium 2020 Stumpjumper with DPX2 210 X 52.5 .86S @ 170’ Pounds @ 225 PSI and no bottom out so far, tried it at Squamish, Seymour and Froome here in BC.
Yay-aH!!!
WTG man that Cascade made a world of difference for me. My DPX2 is a 210x50. You've gNarLed it up a bit more than I have so far, but I did some hefty incredibly steep rocky rooty naZZTY up-n-down riding today on trails that are only for hikers lol. Never once bottomed out even barreling down huge rocks and riding over about 10 or 15 fallen tree logs, handled great.

I had to finally up my psi in the DPX2 to about 230 (at least that's what my cheap shock pump says). I like a firmer feel w/less sag and w/the increased psi seems like I have more control over the 3 position switch and run it wide open usually.

Love that fender. Hook me up w/a link to get that. Saw something like that before but can't remember who makes that??

Now did yours--since it's a 2020--have the geo for the 55mil stroke, or did you add that, because I've heard a lot of SJ owners going from 50mm to 55 on their own w/no reported issues, except the coil riders. The 2020 was still FSR too right? I have a 2019. Awesome bike @Roldz, and home-run on the Cascade... ORANGE is the new orange!

~JSV

Posted: Apr 25, 2021 at 11:52 Quote
ScaryGuiTarS wrote:
Roldz wrote:
Yay-aH!!!
WTG man that Cascade made a world of difference for me. My DPX2 is a 210x50. You've gNarLed it up a bit more than I have so far, but I did some hefty incredibly steep rocky rooty naZZTY up-n-down riding today on trails that are only for hikers lol. Never once bottomed out even barreling down huge rocks and riding over about 10 or 15 fallen tree logs, handled great.

I had to finally up my psi in the DPX2 to about 230 (at least that's what my cheap shock pump says). I like a firmer feel w/less sag and w/the increased psi seems like I have more control over the 3 position switch and run it wide open usually.

Love that fender. Hook me up w/a link to get that. Saw something like that before but can't remember who makes that??

Now did yours--since it's a 2020--have the geo for the 55mil stroke, or did you add that, because I've heard a lot of SJ owners going from 50mm to 55 on their own w/no reported issues, except the coil riders. The 2020 was still FSR too right? I have a 2019. Awesome bike @Roldz, and home-run on the Cascade... ORANGE is the new orange!

~JSV

Yeah! Def. a worth it buy, I wasn’t too sure at first but glad I went through with it.

A 55mm isn’t going to fit for sure it wouldn’t have enough clearance and even at 52.5mm is a stretch and yeah it’s still an FSR.

It’s a Mudhugger long front fender: https://shop.cyclepathpdx.com/mudhugger-quick-release-long-front-fender.html You need to customize it a little bit to make it work fir your bike but yeah it works very well.
photo
Minus the cascade but with the fender and thnx it does look really nice.

Posted: Apr 25, 2021 at 13:27 Quote
@Roldz
Got the link, s00pa'-d00pa'! yeah 'mudhugger' that's it. Now are you using the LONG FRONT and adapted it to the rear is that how you did it?
My front Mucky Nutz tucked into the rear on the seatstay is working ok for now, but I'll probably want something w/more coverage like that.
I only have two pics so far since I added the extra MN flap:
https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/20508929/

Now with your Cascade that thing's ALL hooked-up! C'mon you have a sick bike there, nice dropper, brakes, DPX2, forks, stem, pedals, G-wiZ!.
STumpJumPerZ R000L! I might get a lot of sh*t for this, but I think SJ's and EVO's (STEVOS) are the most versatile all-around MTB that can satisfy the widest variety of riders. They take to welcoming quite a bit of customizing to get 'em to be the bike you want. You can go lighter softer or tougher more aggressive and the bike just agrees with you.

About to go out now and put my new front Assegai tire on to go w/my DHR2.

~JSV

Posted: Apr 25, 2021 at 14:41 Quote
ScaryGuiTarS wrote:
@Roldz
Got the link, s00pa'-d00pa'! yeah 'mudhugger' that's it. Now are you using the LONG FRONT and adapted it to the rear is that how you did it?
My front Mucky Nutz tucked into the rear on the seatstay is working ok for now, but I'll probably want something w/more coverage like that.
I only have two pics so far since I added the extra MN flap:
https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/20508929/

Now with your Cascade that thing's ALL hooked-up! C'mon you have a sick bike there, nice dropper, brakes, DPX2, forks, stem, pedals, G-wiZ!.
STumpJumPerZ R000L! I might get a lot of sh*t for this, but I think SJ's and EVO's (STEVOS) are the most versatile all-around MTB that can satisfy the widest variety of riders. They take to welcoming quite a bit of customizing to get 'em to be the bike you want. You can go lighter softer or tougher more aggressive and the bike just agrees with you.

About to go out now and put my new front Assegai tire on to go w/my DHR2.

~JSV
Thanks Man it took a while not fully finish dough but close to it. That bike of yours looks sick too! Make sure u have bear spray, you be the first one they see Wink JK .

Yeah! It’s the long one, running 2.6 butcher back and it still got good clearance but mud will be mud ...

Good luck with the tire install ...

Posted: May 2, 2021 at 19:10 Quote
Simann wrote:
Was talking to a vendor/suspension expert recently on here about which rear shock to replace the factory DHX2 coil on the 2020 SJ EVO. I inquired about the Cane Creek DB Inline Coil for it, saw a few pics online, but he strongly suggested against it. Here is a summary of our conversation. This is one vendors personal experience with all of these shocks, but as much servicing and custom tunes as he does, I trust his experience and opinion.

Stumpjumpers have more frame flex compared to others, its built in to the frame and pivot points by design but does not play so well with [coil] shocks with smaller diameter shafts...

Cane Creek DB Inline coil has a 8.5mm damper shaft, smallest of them all. Avoid this shock, period.

Cane Creek Kitsuma coil has a 9.5 mm damper shaft, obviously larger than both the DB Inline coil and the DHX2, but its a newer shock and there isn't any official field testing specifically on the latest two generation Stumpjumpers. (This is an option for me)

Fox DHX2 has a 9.0 mm damper shaft and possibly the worse seal head on the market. Fox has made three changes to the seal head in the last four years and they still are not strong enough to use on most bikes. He also said every DHX2 shock they receive for service has a blown damper due to the shaft flexing.

Marzocchi Bomber coil is another shock that should work fine on the Stumpjumpers because it has a HUGE 12.7mm shaft. The downside of that shock is that it has no lockout/firm climb lever. I personally ran this shock with a Cane Creek VALT progressive coil and absolutely loved it, even on climbs.

DVO Jade was not recommended by them he has seen them use cheap materials and tend to break more than other brands.

Ohlins TTX22M uses a 10mm steel shaft and a very strong seal head, was specifically designed for Stumpjumpers. (most likely the shock I will go with)

Hope this helps!

Do you know what fit kits are needed for the öhlins ttx22m to fit on a stumpy

O+
Posted: May 3, 2021 at 7:04 Quote
yxan wrote:
Simann wrote:
Was talking to a vendor/suspension expert recently on here about which rear shock to replace the factory DHX2 coil on the 2020 SJ EVO. I inquired about the Cane Creek DB Inline Coil for it, saw a few pics online, but he strongly suggested against it. Here is a summary of our conversation. This is one vendors personal experience with all of these shocks, but as much servicing and custom tunes as he does, I trust his experience and opinion.

Stumpjumpers have more frame flex compared to others, its built in to the frame and pivot points by design but does not play so well with [coil] shocks with smaller diameter shafts...

Cane Creek DB Inline coil has a 8.5mm damper shaft, smallest of them all. Avoid this shock, period.

Cane Creek Kitsuma coil has a 9.5 mm damper shaft, obviously larger than both the DB Inline coil and the DHX2, but its a newer shock and there isn't any official field testing specifically on the latest two generation Stumpjumpers. (This is an option for me)

Fox DHX2 has a 9.0 mm damper shaft and possibly the worse seal head on the market. Fox has made three changes to the seal head in the last four years and they still are not strong enough to use on most bikes. He also said every DHX2 shock they receive for service has a blown damper due to the shaft flexing.

Marzocchi Bomber coil is another shock that should work fine on the Stumpjumpers because it has a HUGE 12.7mm shaft. The downside of that shock is that it has no lockout/firm climb lever. I personally ran this shock with a Cane Creek VALT progressive coil and absolutely loved it, even on climbs.

DVO Jade was not recommended by them he has seen them use cheap materials and tend to break more than other brands.

Ohlins TTX22M uses a 10mm steel shaft and a very strong seal head, was specifically designed for Stumpjumpers. (most likely the shock I will go with)

Hope this helps!

Do you know what fit kits are needed for the öhlins ttx22m to fit on a stumpy

Just the frame mounting hardware. I believe its 6x20 per memory.

https://www.jensonusa.com/Ohlins-Rear-Shock-Mounting-Hardware

O+
Posted: May 13, 2021 at 16:25 Quote
I'm running a kitsuma coil with valt progressive in a alloy Evo 29 and it's ridiculous how good rides!! I'm so impressed with the performance...

Posted: May 13, 2021 at 17:09 Quote
Roldz wrote:
"... That bike of yours looks sick too! Make sure u have bear spray, you be the first one they see Wink JK .
HEY! I'll be the LAST ONE the hunters will shoot at... lol

~JSV

O+
Posted: May 13, 2021 at 18:16 Quote
manelnunez wrote:
I'm running a kitsuma coil with valt progressive in a alloy Evo 29 and it's ridiculous how good rides!! I'm so impressed with the performance...

I've got to say, the VALT Progressive spring did ride very good, and the difference between it and going VALT linear with the Cascade link is pretty much imperceptible. For the money, the VALT progressive coil is the cheaper way to go if you have the OE spec DHX2 shock.

Posted: May 15, 2021 at 20:34 Quote
So I have this stumpjumper large frame and I purchased the LT link and a Fox 36 front fork 160mm would I still be able to use a Ohlins ttx22 with this bike?
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/mens-stumpjumper-st-29/p/154262?color=226080-154262

O+
Posted: May 16, 2021 at 7:23 Quote
zero00188 wrote:
So I have this stumpjumper large frame and I purchased the LT link and a Fox 36 front fork 160mm would I still be able to use a Ohlins ttx22 with this bike?
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/mens-stumpjumper-st-29/p/154262?color=226080-154262

Your stock eye to eye and stroke is 190x42.5mm on the ST link
The eye to eye and stroke with LT link is 210x50.

So yeah, if you find an Ohlins TTX in 210x50 and pair it with the LT link, you should be just fine. But you need to find one with the "Stumpjumper tune", it will make a big difference in performance as the TTX has a small range of adjustment. You don't want to get a TTX with the wrong tune and not be able to adjust it to suit the Stumpjumper.

William at Trail Labs has a few TTX 210x50 in stock..

https://traillabs.com/product/ttx22m/

Posted: May 16, 2021 at 11:49 Quote
Simann wrote:
zero00188 wrote:

So yeah, if you find an Ohlins TTX in 210x50 and pair it with the LT link, you should be just fine. But you need to find one with the "Stumpjumper tune", it will make a big difference in performance as the TTX has a small range of adjustment. You don't want to get a TTX with the wrong tune and not be able to adjust it to suit the Stumpjumper.

On the trail labs link it doesn't say anything about the "stumpjumper tune" is it just that specific shock?

O+
Posted: May 16, 2021 at 13:49 Quote
zero00188 wrote:
Simann wrote:
zero00188 wrote:

On the trail labs link it doesn't say anything about the "stumpjumper tune" is it just that specific shock?

Email or message them on here and see if those are Stumpjumper specific.

https://www.pinkbike.com/u/traillabs/

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014477
Mobile Version of Website