Powered by Outside

Post up your Pimped 140 - 170 mm Hardcore AM/XC/Trailbikes.

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Post up your Pimped 140 - 170 mm Hardcore AM/XC/Trailbikes.
Posted: Mar 15, 2008 at 22:08 Quote
Yangpei wrote:
Here is my latest AM bike:

Frame: 08 Ellsworth Moment (med)
Shock: Fox DHX Air 5.0
Fork: Fox 36 TALAS RLC
FD: Shimano XTR
RD: SRAM XO
Cranks: Shimano XTR
Headset: Chris King
Stem: Thomson Elite
Bar: Easton EA 70 riser
Shifters: SRAM XO trigger
Brakes: Hope Mono Mini w/7" rotors F/R
Hubs: Chris King isodisc
Rims: Mavid XM819
Seatpost: Thomson Elite
Saddle: Selle Italia Flite Gel Flow
Tires: Maxxis Minion DHF/DHR 2.35"

Weight: 30.95 lbs

I haven't ridden it yet, but hopefully will soon.
photo

no offense, but i don't see how ellsworth gets off charging like a $1000 premium over other brands. i doubt they are THAT good

O+
Posted: Mar 15, 2008 at 22:28 Quote
Ellsworth prices are comparable to their direct competition - Turner, Ventana, Intense, Titus, Foes. I think the prices are on the medium to high end of the spectrum. But, if you shop carefully, you can find some deals.

I have owned and ridden many bikes (including Intense, Foes, Seven, Titus, Gunnar, Iron Horse, and Schwinn). In my experience, nothing comes close to the pedaling efficiency and performance of Ellsworth ICT suspensions. That's why I now own 3 Ellsworth bikes. Prior to going to Ellsworth, the best riding bike would be between the VPP Intense bikes and the Titus Moto-Lite FSR rear suspension with a platform shock. I have tried several Maestro-type bikes and they feel pretty good, as well. I have heard good things about DW-link bikes, but have not ridden any.

Posted: Mar 15, 2008 at 22:31 Quote
AqueousBeef wrote:

no offense, but i don't see how ellsworth gets off charging like a $1000 premium over other brands. i doubt they are THAT good

You ever looked one over REALLY closely? They are VERY well made bikes. Some of the best welding I've seen, CNC'd parts... Theres a lot of work in that frame. They don't necessarily ride better than any horst link bike, but they are built like tanks.
The Yetis that we're plagued with out here (they're good bikes too, but I saw 9 today, and a combined total of 4 other brands) don't even compare in construction quality, IMHO.

Posted: Mar 15, 2008 at 22:38 Quote
Hummeroid wrote:
AqueousBeef wrote:

You ever looked one over REALLY closely? They are VERY well made bikes. Some of the best welding I've seen, CNC'd parts... Theres a lot of work in that frame. They don't necessarily ride better than any horst link bike, but they are built like tanks.
The Yetis that we're plagued with out here (they're good bikes too, but I saw 9 today, and a combined total of 4 other brands) don't even compare in construction quality, IMHO.
only hummeroid would be tell you which brand a bike is by looking at the welds. I have yet to see a reputable bike fail at the welds.

Posted: Mar 15, 2008 at 22:52 Quote
Im not saying others will fail, Im just saying the Ellsworth ones are particularly nice. Not a bike I would buy per se, buy its a well made machine.

I think Draco could tell a bike by the welds too LOL

Posted: Mar 16, 2008 at 9:33 Quote
chasefreeride37 wrote:
Hey whattheheel, I heard that wicked racing guide rubs alot in certain gears. You have any problems with yours rubbing in any gears?

hey guys glad you like the toys. i've got the trance x built up a little too beefy cuz that's what I had laying around. the rhyno lites will be replaced with all mtn xts. other than that I love the wicked guide, yeah it rubs a little but no more than a chain rubbing on a front derailler and it can be find tuned pretty easily. dirt cheap and you get a front drlr with the whole setup. www.wickedracin.com (no I don't work for them but its da shizzle)

Posted: Mar 16, 2008 at 9:47 Quote
AqueousBeef wrote:
shondo wrote:
whattheheel wrote:
photo

Trance X
heavy ass rhyno lites xt hub
xt cranks
DOPE ASS wicked racin dualrailler guide
pike, thomson stem n post
shadow rear
fun as hell. 30.9 lbs.

I like these bikes.
i thought that was an xc bike, but it looks like you'reusing it as a fr bike almost.
I am like 195 with all my gear and I will ditch the wheels for lighter ones but I like the CG alot so I'll leave that. I am also waiting for rock shox to come out wit the reba maxle.lol

Posted: Sep 1, 2008 at 18:59 Quote
Hummeroid wrote:
Toll wrote:
Did not like the 77.

The new remedy has a new suspension design, with a concentric rear axle pivot and floating shock mount. The lower shock mount is part of the chainstay, and the upper is mounted to a rocker link attached to the seatstay. It SHOULD be a huge improvement over previous single pivot technology.

I completely agree though, the old 77 was not for me.

Hey hey now, you have to keep in mind that the Trek does its job very well, which is big mountain freeride hucks and gnarly downhill. However, I can agree with you in that it is not the best trail bike. (This being said from someone who has spent countless hours laboring up hills in the granny gear on it.)

I recently built up a BMC superstroke to be my trail/light freeride rig. I'll have to throw some pics up soon.

Posted: Sep 1, 2008 at 19:04 Quote
photo

You could call it a trail bike,
well Thats what its entended for.
I just built it a little beefier.
Im Hard on things. Cool

Anyway, whatcha think

Posted: May 17, 2010 at 7:22 Quote
photo

My bike for the UK (I have a DH bike as well). It's the best bike I've ever ridden. tup

Posted: May 17, 2010 at 7:59 Quote
^ How much travel does that have? Why did´t you go for the Moment, or the Truth? Cool bike nonetheless.

Mine

photo

Posted: May 17, 2010 at 8:12 Quote
photo

Now around the 36/37lbs mark, so going up hill is hard work!
Going down on the otherhand, it whips out of corners with great ease thanks to the lighter front end and plows through everything that a 200mm+ bike could do Big Grin

Posted: May 17, 2010 at 8:17 Quote
thrice wrote:
^ How much travel does that have? Why did´t you go for the Moment, or the Truth? Cool bike nonetheless.

This sits between the Moment and the Truth...and I think with a slightly longer fork (like mine) it's a bit like a lighter Moment
with a touch less travel.
It's 5.25" with a 120-150mm Revelation on it...it's wound all the way down in the pic. I have a downhill bike as well, but this is perfect for the trails around where I live (I'm not a big guy...).

Posted: Apr 26, 2012 at 18:34 Quote
hasn't been a post in here in forever so... start it back up?!
Heres my new Covert, i just finished building her up!
photo
photo

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.019204
Mobile Version of Website