Powered by Outside

Sumas Mountain Trail Conditions and General Maintenance Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Sumas Mountain Trail Conditions and General Maintenance Thread
Posted: Apr 12, 2011 at 21:24 Quote
Light snow up on Sumas yesterday. The top half of Holiday sauce isn't ridable, its any icy, packed snowy mess.

O+
Posted: Apr 12, 2011 at 21:27 Quote
A point of interest for anyone with the FVMBA maps, the compass on the map is incorrect. (Or at least it is on the one I bought.) If you getting directions from someone and they don't make sense, that might have something to do with it. Wink

O+
Posted: Apr 12, 2011 at 22:43 Quote
shorerider16 wrote:
A point of interest for anyone with the FVMBA maps, the compass on the map is incorrect. (Or at least it is on the one I bought.) If you getting directions from someone and they don't make sense, that might have something to do with it. Wink

The map is North on top just like any other map (except the trail map for Cumberland over on the Island).

O+
Posted: Apr 13, 2011 at 14:10 Quote
It is a known issue, the South and West are reversed on the map.

We`ll get it fixed for the next printing. However the North is correct which is really all that matters.

O+
Posted: Apr 13, 2011 at 18:11 Quote
partswhore wrote:
It is a known issue, the South and West are reversed on the map.

We`ll get it fixed for the next printing. However the North is correct which is really all that matters.

It's not hard to figure out, but I thought I would bring it to attention as I wasn't sure if the right people knew.

O+
Posted: Apr 13, 2011 at 18:12 Quote
jettamike wrote:
The map's right.

Where did you go to school? Razz

Posted: Apr 13, 2011 at 21:15 Quote
to be honest I've never looked at the compass. Top is north....like every map in the world, except for Merrit's.

O+
Posted: Apr 16, 2011 at 14:04 Quote
11 Annual Vedder Mountain Clean Up and Trail Maintenance Day

Earn tons of good karma by lending a hand at the Vedder Mountain Trail Cleanup and Maintenance Day”. Each year we remove about 7 tonnes of garbage and recyclables that are illegally dumped on the Vedder Mountain roadways, parking areas, trail heads and trails. The second half of the day is dedicated to trail buffing and maintenance. Without this effort our playground would be a junkyard and no fun to ride.
Search and Rescue will be on hand to help out and educate volunteers on their role in the community. These guys volunteer their own time to come out and haul or injured carcasses off the mountain when we have a crash. To show your appreciation, bring a few bucks to help support these guys that might be saving your life one day.
There will also be a mini auction for some pretty awesome prizes, so bring extra cash and you will get some stuff at a great price. As always all proceeds are directly returned back to the trails to keep them in the pristine condition they are infamous for.
For those helping out in previous years you know that there is a ton of free food and Swag provided (everyone goes home with something shiny). You will be able to further help out our trails by picking up your new Vedder Mountain Trails Association (VMTA) Member stickers for $10 instead of the normal $20 price (and support our work to negotiate permanent, sustainable, legal trails for everyone). Those purchasing their VMTA Member Sticker at this event will also be entered to win extra-special swag that is only available to those purchasing a VMTA member sticker. For more info Contact Mark Steinebach by email (via the Contacts page at VMTA.ca) or by phone (604-793-5265) or Rob at Jack’s Cycle (604-858-3011) to sign up. See VMTA.ca for more deets.

DATE: Sunday May 1, 2011 at 10:00 am
• MEETING PLACE: first Y on Parmenter Rd.
• WHAT TO BRING: $10 for VMTA membership (if you want to), a good attitude, your family, friends, and neighbours (spread the word).
• OPTIONAL: gloves, shovels, rakes, buckets and other trail building tools (some tools will be provided for those wishing to stay and help with trail maintenance), cash for the big prize auction, and a donation for Search and Rescue.
• WHAT NOT TO BRING: your bike, chainsaws, bad karma, a lunch
• TRAIL MAINTENANCE AREA: to be announced at lunch on trail day.

O+
Posted: May 18, 2011 at 19:12 Quote
My friend and I are planning on checking out the trails on Sumas for the first time on Monday. The plan based on what I have been reading is to ride up to the top, and come down Knob Gobbler, Holiday Sauce, Extra Sauce, Pre Peel and Emma Peel. I have a few questions before I trek all the way there.

Is the climb on a paved, gravel or baby heads?
The map says it's "all mountain" and I have also read it's "xc". What can I expect as far as climbing while on the trails?
Are the trails in good shape right now (and after a few days of warm weather)?

Thanks for any info! I look forward to checking out all the mountains in the Valley!

Jeff

O+
Posted: May 18, 2011 at 21:36 Quote
JeffBeaumont wrote:
My friend and I are planning on checking out the trails on Sumas for the first time on Monday. The plan based on what I have been reading is to ride up to the top, and come down Knob Gobbler, Holiday Sauce, Extra Sauce, Pre Peel and Emma Peel. I have a few questions before I trek all the way there.

Is the climb on a paved, gravel or baby heads?
The map says it's "all mountain" and I have also read it's "xc". What can I expect as far as climbing while on the trails?
Are the trails in good shape right now (and after a few days of warm weather)?

Thanks for any info! I look forward to checking out all the mountains in the Valley!

Jeff

The road up is graded gravel road.

The All-Mtn side which you are planning to take is very up and down. If it takes you an hour or so to get to the top it will actually take you longer to work your way back down.

I havn't ridden Sumas lately so maybe some else can give a trail condition update.

O+
Posted: Jun 22, 2011 at 8:58 Quote
Wow this thread is quiet this year, last year I bet I'd been up on Sumas 20 rides by now, this year maybe 3-4. The weather has kept me away, but it's feeling like Summer now. I am planning on riding ever Wednesday at 6PM, meet at the 0KM gate if you wanna come too - this is not a shuttle ride - pedal up and down.

Posted: Jun 22, 2011 at 9:04 Quote
Rode Knob Gobbler, Noah Fear, World Cup and the new connector trail, which I am calling "The Epic Ride Out" until it can be properly named, last night.

trails where in good shape. Noah had some some spots that are remnents of the race.

I also rode Holiday Sauce/Emma Peel on Saturday. At that time everything was wet in there.

O+
Posted: Jun 22, 2011 at 16:30 Quote
Does anybody have details on the proposed gravel pit on Sumas? There was an article in one of the Abbotsford newspapers and from the sounds of it the new pit would wipe out most of the DH trails.?

O+
Posted: Jun 22, 2011 at 17:07 Quote
shorerider16 wrote:
Does anybody have details on the proposed gravel pit on Sumas? There was an article in one of the Abbotsford newspapers and from the sounds of it the new pit would wipe out most of the DH trails.?

Keep an eye on the FVMBA website.http://www.fvmba.com We are all over this.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.021598
Mobile Version of Website