Powered by Outside

Post Your Marin!

PB Forum :: Marin Bikes
Post Your Marin!
O+
Posted: Apr 29, 2022 at 17:13 Quote
Picked up the Rift Zone 26 for my daughter. Matching frame protection with my RZ lol. Need to get her a dropper post.

photo

O+
Posted: Apr 29, 2022 at 18:20 Quote
Dustndirt wrote:
I just got a cheep one from amazon. My son is 56" tall and weighs 80lbs and it works well. Its works well and is easy to actuate. Here is a description if you want to search for it.

MiOYOOW Dropper Post, 30.9/31.6x345/395mm Hydraulic Seatpost Travel 100/125mm

Looks like it can be fully inserted into the seat tube. What ‘s the lowest collar to rails measurement with the seat all the way down and fully inserted into the set tube?

Update: I ended up ordering the KS Rage-I dropper….it’s supposed to be 142g lighter. Should get it installed Sunday.

O+
Posted: Apr 29, 2022 at 20:22 Quote
@dustindirt in case you don’t know and are interested. The Chainstay protector for the other rift zones fits the Jr/26 as well. I took off the stock tape/protector and added the nicer rubber one that comes on the bigger Rift Zones.

Posted: Apr 30, 2022 at 6:34 Quote
@n54tt, Thanks for the tip. I attached a photo of insertion depth and the part number for the rubber grommets that hold the cable in the frame.
photo
photo

Posted: Apr 30, 2022 at 6:43 Quote
For reference, my son is 56" tall and the post is inserted all the way down.

O+
Posted: May 3, 2022 at 20:25 Quote
Dustndirt wrote:
For reference, my son is 56" tall and the post is inserted all the way down.

Thanks! My daughter is about 57” and installed the KS rage about an inch above the seat collar. Only thing I don’t like about the KS is that it seems to bind if you push down on the rear of the seat. If you push down on the middle or front of the seat it goes down much smoother…odd. I had ordered the official Marin rubber grommets for the RZ Jr. But ended up just using ones from my extra set or regular rift zone grommets….they were tight but they fit. I’ll swap to the Junior ones if/when I ever replace her dropper. Looks like I ordered one of the last ones because it’s no longer in stock lol.
https://store.marinbikes.com/collections/parts/products/17-18-hawk-hill-nail-trail-dropper-post-grommet-kit-3pack?variant=5456244146207

BTW what made you decide to go 24”? I went 26” for my daughter since it was replacing her 24” and glad I did. Don’t think the 24” would last her very long.

Here’s a pic of how the Chainstay protector fits. It’s $40 from the Marin website https://store.marinbikes.com/collections/parts/products/chainstay-protector-series-3-multitrac

photo

Posted: May 4, 2022 at 11:39 Quote
I just thought that the 24" would fit him better and be a easier transition from the 20" wheels he had on his last bike. I also liked the lower range the 24" offered on climbs. My son doesn't charge stuff on his bike like he does on his dirtbike. He will go up and down things on his dirtbike that, at my age, I have to reluctantly follow and hope for the best. I used to race mx, now I have a morgage....

O+
Posted: May 4, 2022 at 11:44 Quote
Dustndirt wrote:
I just thought that the 24" would fit him better and be a easier transition from the 20" wheels he had on his last bike. I also liked the lower range the 24" offered on climbs. My son doesn't charge stuff on his bike like he does on his dirtbike. He will go up and down things on his dirtbike that, at my age, I have to reluctantly follow and hope for the best. I used to race mx, now I have a morgage....

The good thing about the bike is that you can upgrade to the 26” whenever you want! I’m curious how readily available the wheel sets are?

O+
Posted: May 9, 2022 at 22:08 Quote
Upgraded to Bike Yoke Revive dropper and xtr crankset. Currently now weighing in at 30.78 lbs. I was hoping to install the stock FSA grid crankset on my daughters RZ 26….but they’re a wider model than I thought they were at boost 148/157+ and probably a 175mm Q factor.

photo

photo

O+
Posted: May 11, 2022 at 5:43 Quote
fstws6 wrote:
Done tinkering for now...

Nice build! Have you done something else since upgrading the shock? I can’t tell from your pics if you’re running the KMC chain and don’t see a build list posted. But if you haven’t already I would consider swappping out the KMC chain for a shimano chain and crankset. Will pedal smoother, shift a bit better and shed some weight as well. The FSA comet weighs a bit more than even the grid that comes with the RZ3.

I bought the RZ3 thinking it would hold off the urge to upgrade…boy was I wrong. In my quest to shed weight I thought I was done tinkering after upgrading to the XTR crankset…but yesterday the 10-51 XTR cassette popped up on my LBS’s website and snatched it up lol. I’ve been scouring the web for months, for a shop that had it in stock and couldn’t find it in stock anywhere. Hopefully I’ll be done tinkering for now too. I’ve been looking for a WTB Volt titanium saddle but can’t find that anywhere as well. Only thing left is shock and fork….but I’m satisfied with the DPS and Marzocchi Z2……for now lol.

Posted: May 11, 2022 at 15:18 Quote
My Alpine Trail C2 frame up build is really fun.

170mm Marz Z1 with MRP volume reduction kit
Cane Creek Kitsuma Coil shock
TRP DH-R EVO brakes
Hope Pro4 on Lightbicycle rims
SRAM Eagle 1X12
Oneup 210mm post
Burgtec bars
Deity Copperhead stem

It's been a lot of fun. I loved my AT 8. This bike is even better!

photo

O+
Posted: May 13, 2022 at 16:29 Quote
Think I’m done upgrading for now. Finally found an XTR Cassette in stock…been out of stock everywhere for months.

Build specs: small 2022 Rift Zone 3 27.5, currently weighs in at 30.56lbs

Stem: Race Face Turbine R
Handlebar: Race Face Next 35
Grips: Marin Slip On
Fork: OE Marzocchi Bomber Z2
Shock: OE Fox float dps with RWC needle bearing kit
Wheels/hubs: Enve AM30 with i9 1/1 hubs
Tires: Tubeless Maxxis Assegai rear, Minion DHR II Front
Brakes/Rotors: Shimano BR-MT420/ XTR rotors, MTX Red Labels on deck to go in.
Dropper: BikeYoke Revive 2
Dropper Remote: Wolf Tooth Remote Light Action I-spec EV
Shifter: OE Shimano Deore SL-7100R
Derailleur/Cassette/Chain: OE Shimano SLX, XTR Cassette, XTR Chain
Crankset: XTR crank and chainring, XTR BB93
Pedals: Race Face Chester
Mudguard/frame protection: AMS Mud guard , AMS frame guard, custom PPF, MRP CF Bash Guard

photo

photo

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018984
Mobile Version of Website