Powered by Outside

Sumas Mountain Trail Conditions and General Maintenance Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Sumas Mountain Trail Conditions and General Maintenance Thread
O+
Posted: Jul 7, 2011 at 8:25 Quote
Just wanted to send some props to the Sumas builders, did the XC trails last night with Dokk and had a really great time. Really nice trails through some beautiful forest. Nice job guys.

Posted: Jul 13, 2011 at 20:30 Quote
Mosquitoes are out in full force. Bug spray is almost more important than water right now!!

Posted: Jul 17, 2011 at 13:41 Quote
Rode Chadsey Lake Trail today. Beware as there are several big trees down.

O+
Posted: Aug 1, 2011 at 13:39 Quote
Did a 1/2 Knob, Noah, WC lap followed by a full Time killer lap. Trails are running good few puddles here and there but should be gone in a day or 2. The brush is creaping in on the trails in a few spots but nothing major.

O+
Posted: Aug 9, 2011 at 19:34 Quote
WARNING: Really Mad Really Mad Really Mad oh my f-ing blah blah blah.... Time Out is basically no more... Some ding bat has cut down a billion trees right at the beginning so you can barely get a bike in and it looks like the path of destruction has gone down the rest of the trail as far as I could see.... not... impressed.... Madder

At lest time killer was solid today.... Whip

O+
Posted: Aug 9, 2011 at 19:43 Quote
arcturus wrote:
WARNING: Really Mad Really Mad Really Mad oh my f-ing blah blah blah.... Time Out is basically no more... Some ding bat has cut down a billion trees right at the beginning so you can barely get a bike in and it looks like the path of destruction has gone down the rest of the trail as far as I could see.... not... impressed.... Madder

As posted on FVMBA website August 3rd.

As of today the trail, which crossed private land without permission, previously known as “Time Out” will be closed by a contractor from the province. The FVMBA fully supports the closure as there are now other alternatives to this trail to exit that part of the mountain.

1. Turn south and climb the FSR back to the main road.

2. Turn South and follow the old quad trail at the first corner to a new connector that is nearly complete that will get you back to the main gate at nearly the “KM 0″ mark.

3. Continue North from the old entrance to “Time Out” on the FSR and extend your ride via the Lower Centennial Trail. This trail is currently being upgraded and will be very ride-able top to bottom in the coming months. New bridges and clearing of brush, danger trees and dead fall are underway.

All of these options are not particularly big bike friendly and you will have to actually turn your pedals! Suck it up!

O+
Posted: Aug 9, 2011 at 20:17 Quote
dokk wrote:
arcturus wrote:

As posted on FVMBA website August 3rd.

As of today the trail, which crossed private land without permission, previously known as “Time Out” will be closed by a contractor from the province. The FVMBA fully supports the closure as there are now other alternatives to this trail to exit that part of the mountain.

1. Turn south and climb the FSR back to the main road.

2. Turn South and follow the old quad trail at the first corner to a new connector that is nearly complete that will get you back to the main gate at nearly the “KM 0″ mark.

3. Continue North from the old entrance to “Time Out” on the FSR and extend your ride via the Lower Centennial Trail. This trail is currently being upgraded and will be very ride-able top to bottom in the coming months. New bridges and clearing of brush, danger trees and dead fall are underway.

All of these options are not particularly big bike friendly and you will have to actually turn your pedals! Suck it up!

Ugh... well, that sucks... thanks for letting me know...

Posted: Aug 14, 2011 at 13:29 Quote
Wow. Looks like there has been a lot of work up there since the last time I owned a bike. Its been about 10 years since i last rode Sumas. I'll have to go check it out with my new bike.

Posted: Aug 17, 2011 at 19:20 Quote
The new exit is done .
After coming out on WorldCup or TimeKiller ,turn L. go east up the road a short climb,to the first corner.(corner turns leftish.)
Go into the old quad trail entrance here (it's a bit overgrown for now) down this double track till the no tresspassing sign .
First L. into a old doubletrack trail, head on up this trail ,it will be better marked as time goes on.
Continue along it ,it will start climbing , climbing till finally you come to a short bridge (cedar) and the trail starts down.
you go down on this clearly marked trail till you come to one mother of a cedar bridge. ---150ft long!
Cantilivered in the middle ,over the stream and then like art it skirts the rockwall,totally integrated and oh so sweet.
Climb till it exits onto a doubletrack old road.
---- Turn R. and go down 100ft till first L. into a new trail .
Hardly any climbing, up down up down,very pretty in here till finally you exit onto a newly built 40ft bridge crossing the ravine. It's high and wide,a stairway will be made for 12ft ,just to discourage any motorcycles.
This trail climbs out onto the FSRoad and you are just above the lower Sumas gate.
This trail will replace TimeOut and keeps you in a shorter loop,with a minimum of climbing.
Once you do this trail a few times and it hardens in more it will just add to the network .
Mr.G

O+
Posted: Aug 17, 2011 at 21:39 Quote
MrGee wrote:
The new exit is done .
After coming out on WorldCup or TimeKiller ,turn L. go east up the road a short climb,to the first corner.(corner turns leftish.)
Go into the old quad trail entrance here (it's a bit overgrown for now) down this double track till the no tresspassing sign .
First L. into a old doubletrack trail, head on up this trail ,it will be better marked as time goes on.
Continue along it ,it will start climbing , climbing till finally you come to a short bridge (cedar) and the trail starts down.
you go down on this clearly marked trail till you come to one mother of a cedar bridge. ---150ft long!
Cantilivered in the middle ,over the stream and then like art it skirts the rockwall,totally integrated and oh so sweet.
Hardly any climbing, up down up down,very pretty in here till finally you exit onto a newly built 40ft bridge crossing the ravine. It's high and wide,a stairway will be made for 12ft ,just to discourage any motorcycles.
This trail climbs out onto the FSRoad and you are just above the lower Sumas gate.
This trail will replace TimeOut and keeps you in a shorter loop,with a minimum of climbing.
Once you do this trail a few times and it hardens in more it will just add to the network .
Mr.G

Rode it today. Nice work everyone involved in the build.tup

O+
Posted: Aug 17, 2011 at 23:08 Quote
MrGee wrote:
The new exit is done .
Mr.G

I vote Gary and Kerry for Prime Ministers - bad ass work guys. Rode it tonight with Dokk and Mosey and it was so good! I will be back and riding that in the day light asap!

O+
Posted: Aug 18, 2011 at 12:42 Quote
Awesome work and all rideable now! I love the approach to the new bridge, don't change it! Ha!

And Ty, it's Mossey, not Mosey. Think the north side of a tree!

Posted: Aug 18, 2011 at 17:11 Quote
The trail name is NoTimeOut.
I will tell the Kman of the thank you's.
Mr.G

O+
Posted: Aug 21, 2011 at 19:47 Quote
Rode NoTimeOut today again. Here is a pic of one of the bridges on the trail.

One of the bridges you will find on Gary and Kerry s new trail pn Sumas

Gary and Kerry were just flagging everything as I rode through so it should be easier to find now.

Posted: Aug 27, 2011 at 23:03 Quote
It's been at least 10 years since I last rode at ledgeview and I remember being able to sit with my legs dangling over the edge of the cliff. Are you still able to do that. I have to find a riding partner to head up there with. I only rode up there once by myself and I don't think that its safe to ride alone. I look forward to going up there and checking things out.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012891
Mobile Version of Website