Powered by Outside

The Bellingham Thread

PB Forum :: USA - West
The Bellingham Thread
Posted: May 1, 2023 at 9:32 Quote
downhilljohn wrote:
What is that new jump line going in at Cedar Dust? on the climbing trail, I saw some wooden lips and some massive landings. Anyone been there lately?
The Shire Crew is building up the wood section for northshore/freeride progression

O+
Posted: Aug 29, 2023 at 12:53 Quote
Blue Canyon Fire on SE side of Lake Whatcom, started last night (8/28/23) by lightning. I assume this means Brown Pow and other trails in this vicinity are closed for the foreseeable future. Do a rain dance, and track (free) coverage from the Cascadia Daily News here: https://www.cascadiadaily.com/news/2023/aug/29/wildfire-burning-monday-night-on-south-lake-whatcom-slope/

See fire location here:
https://app.watchduty.org/

Reddit thread here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Bellingham/comments/164co13/fire_on_south_side_of_lake_whatcom/

O+
Posted: Aug 29, 2023 at 14:58 Quote
Lame. It’s bucketing rain in Vancouver right now so hopefully it makes it down your way today.

O+
Posted: Aug 31, 2023 at 8:26 Quote
whitebirdfeathers wrote:
Lame. It’s bucketing rain in Vancouver right now so hopefully it makes it down your way today.

It made its way south, but unfortunately with lightning too Frown

O+
Posted: Feb 20, 2024 at 9:00 Quote
Anyone have details on the schedule/plans/duration of logging operations on lower Lookoot?

Posted: Apr 22, 2024 at 9:08 Quote
Does anyone know the distance of the Blue Steel Jumps, or has measured them?

O+
Posted: Apr 22, 2024 at 12:27 Quote
If they have been measured, I’ve not seen anything posted. They get progressively bigger, that’s for sure.

Funny you mention this though because I’ve had an idea kicking around my head for a few years that would address this. Though not really for advance jump lines like Blue Steel, because the kind of people that are going to drop in on these kinds of lines aren’t going to care if it’s 25’ or 35’ lip to lip, but for less advanced trails: post a little marker off to the side of a takeoff of a jump to indicate the distance to the landing. The purpose would be to give beginner to intermediate riders a reference point for jumps they have done before, and those they are working up to. Example: on the lowest part of Evo there is a set of doubles - and while totally rollable, they’re not gaps - I recall back in the day when I was intimidated at the thought of coming up short and burying my front wheel before the landing. But measuring them up and comparing them to other jumps I’ve easily cleared, I was able to roll into those with more confidence and safely clear both of them.

Dunno, what do others think? Would this be useful to those of us that aren’t pro level riders?

downhilljohn wrote:

Posted: Apr 22, 2024 at 12:34 Quote
I'd say a little bit, but I think what really helps is just looking back at big jumps you've hit, like walking up cedar dust. I hit the pro cedar dust then walked up after, and man are they huge! If I look at them before, it scares me a lot more. I just hit Blue Steel for the first time last week, and I was just wondering the length because of curiousity, and building my own jumps

Posted: Apr 22, 2024 at 14:28 Quote
downhilljohn wrote:

I just measured them on google maps: first one after shark fin is ~25-feet gap and last one is 35-feet.

Posted: Apr 22, 2024 at 16:25 Quote
I sure hope that's accurate

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008965
Mobile Version of Website