Pinkbike will be undergoing scheduled maintenance on May 29 at 9pm PST for up to 6 hours. We apologize for any inconvenience caused during this time.
Powered by Outside

Anyone still riding Giant AC? post them here!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Anyone still riding Giant AC? post them here!
Posted: May 17, 2022 at 16:17 Quote
photo

Finaly done i upgraded my AC, but not satisfied yet. It could weight way less.

Right now it mounts only the front brake level ultimate with 200mm rotor.
But still very light build. X0 cranks, miche mx960 wheelset, Sid rct3 120mm, Lightweight formula coil on original shock 135mm, X9 1x 11-36t drivetrain.

UPDATE

I have done, some measurments and with the modifications I have made, this size large frame becomes like a modern geometry trail bike and is also comparable in weight. When I finish the build, I will put on some proper pics. I'm 5'8 size.

Geo right now

120mm fork, shock e-e 182,5mm (185mm using eccentric bushings)
stack 585mm
bb 33,5mm
reach 420mm
chainstay 435mm
wheelbase 1145mm
HA 66,5deg

Right now I'm playing with stem lenght and handlebar specs. The bikes rides like this very well.

Posted: Nov 4, 2022 at 15:19 Quote
Welcome to the thread. I sold my AC's a few years back but it's still great to see other folks enjoying them as I have so many fond memories of mine. I go to a 150mm fork or even 160mm and reduce your stack height to get the most our of your AC. Build looks good, cheers!
rende wrote:
photo

But still very light build. X0 cranks, miche mx960 wheelset, Sid rct3 120mm, Lightweight formula coil on original shock 135mm, X9 1x 11-36t drivetrain.

UPDATE

I have done, some measurments and with the modifications I have made, this size large frame becomes like a modern geometry trail bike and is also comparable in weight. When I finish the build, I will put on some proper pics. I'm 5'8 size.

Geo right now

stack 585mm
bb 33,5mm
reach 420mm
chainstay 435mm
wheelbase 1145mm
HA 66,5deg

Right now I'm playing with stem lenght and handlebar specs. The bikes rides like this very well.

Posted: Nov 5, 2022 at 13:42 Quote
Thanks, yes still trying to find the right balance, but im not a skillful rider, i like more crosscountry kind of riding. I was tempted to change the fork for a bigger one and use more travel at the back, but decided to go decreasing the travel. I am still experimenting to find the right spot of rear e to e shock and travel, but using zip ties to shorten the shock works great for now. Next updates will be tires with tubolito and better discs and front brake.

photo

E-ROG wrote:
Welcome to the thread. I sold my AC's a few years back but it's still great to see other folks enjoying them as I have so many fond memories of mine. I go to a 150mm fork or even 160mm and reduce your stack height to get the most our of your AC. Build looks good, cheers!
rende wrote:
photo

UPDATE

Geo right now

stack 585mm
bb 33,5mm
reach 420mm
chainstay 435mm
wheelbase 1145mm
HA 66,5deg

O+
Posted: Jul 22, 2023 at 12:40 Quote
I've been visiting this thread from time to time over the years but this is the first time I've posted. My 04 AC1 sat in a closet for about 12 years until the pandemic hit. I've since bought a full squish carbon bike and a aggressive hardtail after rediscovering my passion for mountain biking. I didn't want to leave the old AC hanging so I've given it a budget upgrade to somewhat modern specs.

photo

I love my old school inverted fork, but it is long in the tooth so I installed a ec44 headset in the lower headtube that will allow for a 1.5 tapered fork to be used.

Here's a temporary mullet that I did just to test the fit. I took the fork and wheel off my hardtail. It is 140mm travel. the HTA is a respectably modern 65.5 degrees.

photo

photo

Update: this is pretty much the final form other than needing to swap out the front tire. Added BrandX dropper.
photo
photo

Posted: Aug 11, 2023 at 16:31 Quote
That is impressive. I think your's is the first mullet AC I have ever seen. Welcome to the thread!
eazylee wrote:
I've been visiting this thread from time to time over the years but this is the first time I've posted. My 04 AC1 sat in a closet for about 12 years until the pandemic hit. I've since bought a full squish carbon bike and a aggressive hardtail after rediscovering my passion for mountain biking. I didn't want to leave the old AC hanging so I've given it a budget upgrade to somewhat modern specs.

photo

I love my old school inverted fork, but it is long in the tooth so I installed a ec44 headset in the lower headtube that will allow for a 1.5 tapered fork to be used.

Here's a temporary mullet that I did just to test the fit. I took the fork and wheel off my hardtail. It is 140mm travel. the HTA is a respectably modern 65.5 degrees.

photo

photo

Update: this is pretty much the final form other than needing to swap out the front tire. Added BrandX dropper.
photo
photo

O+
Posted: Aug 18, 2023 at 11:05 Quote
E-ROG wrote:
That is impressive. I think your's is the first mullet AC I have ever seen. Welcome to the thread!

Thanks for the kind words. Hope there's others out there still keeping the dream alive. My old Manitou Swinger coil no longer had any sort of dampening, so I got a Monarch RT3. I am amazed how much the ride improved. It's like I have a new bike. I don't plan doing anything more than xc/light trails on this bike so I'm very happy with where it's at now.
photo

Posted: Aug 20, 2023 at 18:00 Quote
eazylee wrote:
E-ROG wrote:

Thanks for the kind words. Hope there's others out there still keeping the dream alive. My old Manitou Swinger coil no longer had any sort of dampening, so I got a Monarch RT3. I am amazed how much the ride improved. It's like I have a new bike. I don't plan doing anything more than xc/light trails on this bike so I'm very happy with where it's at now.
photo

Yeah, mine was the same with new suspension. I had a full coil version and then a full air version.
I see you have a dropper as well, very nice. The REIGN replace the AC. I had a 07/08 Reign with 160mm front rear, Fox 36 & Fox DHX air, and I had it set-up 1x9 with a chain guide. It was amazing at the bike park back then. The Reign was certainly a worthy replacement for the AC. Still, the AC was way ahead of it's time.

Posted: Jan 4, 2024 at 15:25 Quote
Finally after lurking for a few months and looking through every page It's time to start off the new year with an addition to this awesome AC thread
2005 Giant AC 160F 167R travel Rock Shox Monarch Plus RC3 rear shock 190 x 51 Microshift advent 9 speed drivetrain ixf Cranks external bottom bracket custom rear wheel with high engagement koozer hub straight steel spokes and Rhino Lyte Rim 115mm dropper post not shown SDG Bel-Air v3 saddle Spank 60mm rise handlebars funn combat III grips X-fusion Metric fork FSA headset mud guards fifty-fifty platform pedals easton haven stem 70mm TRP slate evo 4 piston front brake Shimano MT-200 rear brake maxxis minion DHF front tire continental mountain king rear tire deckas 32t chainring
2005 Giant AC,
160F/167R travel,
Rock Shox Monarch Plus RC3 rear shock 190 x 51,
Microshift advent 9 speed drivetrain,
ixf Cranks, external bottom bracket,
custom rear wheel with high engagement koozer hub, straight steel spokes and Rhino Lyte Rim,
115mm TransX dropper post, SDG Bel-Air v3 saddle
Spank 60mm rise handlebars, funn combat III grips,
X-fusion Metric fork, FSA headset,
mud guards, fifty-fifty platform pedals,
easton haven stem 70mm,
TRP slate evo 4 piston front brake, Shimano MT-200 rear brake,
maxxis minion DHF front tire, continental mountain king rear tire,
deckas 32t chainring
photo
Been riding this thing almost everyday down mellow paths, flowy single track, and many steeps with chundery chunk and its a huge smile every time Smile
Trail name checks out
Increased travel from 140mm to 160mm can go up to 180 on this fork and with the fork and wheel came increased stiffness with the 36mm stanchions and 20mm x 110mm hub

Posted: Jan 5, 2024 at 15:43 Quote
tags1998 wrote:
Finally after lurking for a few months and looking through every page It's time to start off the new year with an addition to this awesome AC thread
2005 Giant AC 160F 167R travel Rock Shox Monarch Plus RC3 rear shock 190 x 51 Microshift advent 9 speed drivetrain ixf Cranks external bottom bracket custom rear wheel with high engagement koozer hub straight steel spokes and Rhino Lyte Rim 115mm dropper post not shown SDG Bel-Air v3 saddle Spank 60mm rise handlebars funn combat III grips X-fusion Metric fork FSA headset mud guards fifty-fifty platform pedals easton haven stem 70mm TRP slate evo 4 piston front brake Shimano MT-200 rear brake maxxis minion DHF front tire continental mountain king rear tire deckas 32t chainring
2005 Giant AC,
160F/167R travel,
custom rear wheel with high engagement koozer hub, straight steel spokes and Rhino Lyte Rim,
easton haven stem 70mm,
deckas 32t chainring
Been riding this thing almost everyday down mellow paths, flowy single track, and many steeps with chundery chunk and its a huge smile every time Smile
Nice rig! Welcome to the thread. I did another AC build recently and I will try to post pics soon. You can see it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttkKbTGww_U

Posted: Jan 6, 2024 at 0:22 Quote
Oh My goodness I actually commented on your video a few weeks back! Didn't think I'd be getting to show you the bike through the pinkbike thread that's wild! I have some videos on my goPro that I'm planning to upload to youtube within the next few weeks, I'm a subscriber keep making your awesome vids!
E-ROG wrote:
tags1998 wrote:
2005 Giant AC,
160F/167R travel,
easton haven stem 70mm,
deckas 32t chainring
Nice rig! Welcome to the thread. I did another AC build recently and I will try to post pics soon. You can see it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttkKbTGww_U

Posted: Jan 6, 2024 at 2:25 Quote
tags1998 wrote:
Oh My goodness I actually commented on your video a few weeks back! Didn't think I'd be getting to show you the bike through the pinkbike thread that's wild! I have some videos on my goPro that I'm planning to upload to youtube within the next few weeks, I'm a subscriber keep making your awesome vids!
E-ROG wrote:
tags1998 wrote:
2005 Giant AC,
160F/167R travel,
easton haven stem 70mm,
deckas 32t chainring

Hah same for me. Realy good videos.

Posted: 36 mins ago Quote
I'm part of the club now!

2002 Giant AC1
Titec Stem, Seat post & Ringleader riser bars
2002 Marzocchi Shiver SC 120mm
Sung Ringle Rhyno lite rims, generic 20mm front, XT rear, Michelin Nagesti tubeless 26X2.5 tires
Raceface NS DH Isis cranks w/ Raceface Rings
LX 3X9 Shifters, XT Front XTR Rear
Rockshox Deluxe rear shock
Hayes Comp disc brakes
Stock reflectors and dork disc Smile

photo

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 2.559416
Mobile Version of Website