Powered by Outside

What is to Light?

PB Forum :: Downhill
What is to Light?
Posted: Mar 4, 2008 at 18:51 Quote
They substitute a comma for a period in some European countries, sowhen they say 5,300 they mean 5.300

Posted: Mar 4, 2008 at 21:49 Quote
My answer to the original question is, when you research and find the part that performs the best and then choose a different part because it's lighter, it's too light. Weight savings is only good when it's not at the detriment of performance. When it's at the detriment of durability than you have to make a personal decision on how often you (not someone else on here) can afford to break stuff. I like grippy, flat resistant tires, lots of suspension, and a full bash ring so 38 lbs seems to be my limit regardless of initial cost.

Posted: Mar 4, 2008 at 23:29 Quote
how much is the evo and exo?

Posted: Mar 8, 2008 at 17:28 Quote
I searched for the weight of a Surly 32t chain ring on pinkbike and google and cant find its weight, anyone know it? Thanks

Posted: Mar 9, 2008 at 13:34 Quote
The socom is marketed as a light frame. I think its about 9 pounds with a ti spring off the top of my head. Its supposed o ride pretty well too.

I think the problem is people expect the bikes to be indestructable to all hucks so when A light one comes out, they go gaga until it snaps and then they slate it. same thing happened with trials frames. I think its a case bikes doing-what-they-say-on-the-tin. People still buy Oranges even though a few people have cracked them because they are light.

Apparently people have started trash talking about the SOCOM for the same reasons. You would have thought ForRaceOnly would give away that the bikes not intended for 20 stone huckers!

Posted: Mar 9, 2008 at 14:20 Quote
willsoffe wrote:
The socom is marketed as a light frame. I think its about 9 pounds with a ti spring off the top of my head. Its supposed o ride pretty well too.

I think the problem is people expect the bikes to be indestructable to all hucks so when A light one comes out, they go gaga until it snaps and then they slate it. same thing happened with trials frames. I think its a case bikes doing-what-they-say-on-the-tin. People still buy Oranges even though a few people have cracked them because they are light.

Apparently people have started trash talking about the SOCOM for the same reasons. You would have thought ForRaceOnly would give away that the bikes not intended for 20 stone huckers!

Oranges ain't too lite, wasnt it posted already that with dnx and a ti coil they are 11.87lbs or 12.89lbs or somthing like that?

Posted: Mar 9, 2008 at 14:22 Quote
photo

Sorry my mistake, but even with a fox and a ti coil, it wont go below 10lbs.

Posted: Mar 9, 2008 at 14:42 Quote
thats my frame, with ti and dhx its around 10lbs

Posted: Mar 9, 2008 at 17:57 Quote
^^^ There's a MASSIVE argument on ridemonkey about the weight of the Orange frame. I don't know if it was you that posted it Spag, but you/it got a bunch of flack.

Posted: Mar 9, 2008 at 18:22 Quote
Argument being?

Posted: Mar 9, 2008 at 18:26 Quote
Sorry, it was about how is scale was WAY off and the actual weight is closer to 9 pounds.

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191057

Posted: Mar 9, 2008 at 18:28 Quote
I was always wondering about that. I've only heard from Spag that they're that much.

Posted: Mar 9, 2008 at 18:30 Quote
no one else showed pics, but a couple of guys from race teams said they weighed theirs before building and they were quite a bit less. Though I'm still curious, I know scales can be off but people with no proof....................who knows.

Posted: Mar 9, 2008 at 18:45 Quote
i know the stickers are on the frame are heavy but not 1-2 pounds, also when i weighed that the spring alone is 1000g

Posted: Mar 9, 2008 at 19:36 Quote
That's a superheavy spring, and the shock was 500g right?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014217
Mobile Version of Website