Powered by Outside

Santa Cruz Megatower

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz Megatower
Posted: May 21, 2020 at 17:19 Quote
pull it out coat it in fibre grip then lock tight the grub screw, the fibre grip works wonders on the SC dropouts.
flinny wrote:
tgent wrote:
flinny wrote:
Thanks dude I will give this a try

Not sure if you've totally isolated it to the stays/cables, but I know I've been trying to get rid of some creaks in mine and I'm battling with keeping the non-driveside chainstay flip chip tight with the tiny set screw keeping it in place.

I had that problem dude, I’ve used loctite on it and so far it’s done the job

Posted: May 22, 2020 at 14:44 Quote
maxnomas wrote:
flinny wrote:
Has anyone else had an issue with a noisy rear end? I can’t tell if it’s a bit of chain slap or the cables rattling usually here it over fast rough terrain. I’m running shimano xt 12 speed with a 32t ring.
Any tips for quietening the ride appreciated.

Check this out mate had the same problem and solved it. I used a rubber hose to protect the cable from rattling inside the rear end, and to avoid the cable rattling in the plug I left the rubber hose flush till the end and problem solved buddy. Silent at last

Good luck

https://forums.mtbr.com/attachments/santa-cruz/1326467d1587506886-santa-cruz-megatower-img_1132.jpg

Much quieter after this little hack

Cheers dude

Posted: May 23, 2020 at 8:34 Quote
flinny wrote:
maxnomas wrote:
flinny wrote:
Has anyone else had an issue with a noisy rear end? I can’t tell if it’s a bit of chain slap or the cables rattling usually here it over fast rough terrain. I’m running shimano xt 12 speed with a 32t ring.
Any tips for quietening the ride appreciated.

Check this out mate had the same problem and solved it. I used a rubber hose to protect the cable from rattling inside the rear end, and to avoid the cable rattling in the plug I left the rubber hose flush till the end and problem solved buddy. Silent at last

Good luck

https://forums.mtbr.com/attachments/santa-cruz/1326467d1587506886-santa-cruz-megatower-img_1132.jpg

Much quieter after this little hack

Cheers dude

Cool brother, cheers from Chile

O+
Posted: May 25, 2020 at 10:22 Quote
I've also noticed a fair bit of rattle in the rear end. Can't seem to isolate where it;s coming from. Everything feels tight when I try to move it by hand. Almost seems like there's slop in the hub, or that the axle isn't tight enough (it is). It's the weirdest thing.

Also the play in the Reverb dropper isn't helping because that makes a lot of noise and moves a fair bit too. Probably will be the first part I replace.

Posted: May 25, 2020 at 11:14 Quote
if you have the sram 746 rear hub try grabbing your rear tyre and yanking it sideways. the hub is notorious for being quite bad

O+
Posted: May 25, 2020 at 13:31 Quote
I had a rattle coming from the rear end.... turns out the rotor bolts had come loose. never had it happen before... But the bike came preassembled with the back wheel already on. Should of checked I know, but all the bolts were loose.... after a good few rides. Anyone have this happen? a Little loctite and the correct torque sorted it.

Posted: May 25, 2020 at 14:08 Quote
I've not got a MT, but did have a very very annoying rattle from the rear end of my Bronson V3.

Traced it to the DT Swiss axle. The lever end bit rattled on the splines. A touch of grease sorted it and it's been silent since

Posted: May 26, 2020 at 0:43 Quote
yep, i've had all these three make noise on my MT

- gear cable
- dt swiss axle lever
- 746 hub

its funny how a silent bike _feels_ smoother kinematically

Posted: May 26, 2020 at 5:00 Quote
iirc the grub screw on nondriveside rear flip chip is there just to keep it from falling off the frame when taking the wheel off. The taper interface between the frame and chip body is supposed to keep the chip in place when rear axle is torqued (?)

if anything, if ya yank the grub screw super tight and the chip is NOT in the right place I'd guess tightening the rear axle might cause some harm as the grub screw bites into the material

Posted: May 26, 2020 at 7:55 Quote
Anyone know if there’s any angleset that fits the MT? I’d love to run a -1 in high so it gives me a bit steeper seat angle and drops the bb a little

Posted: May 26, 2020 at 9:37 Quote
Pretty sure you cant do angle sets for drop in bearings. How about offset bushings?

O+
Posted: May 29, 2020 at 11:13 Quote
Austink wrote:
Yeah mine comes loose. Someone on mtbr said they put some silicon epoxy on theirs. Seems like my tallboy does it too. I was going to put a few drops of gorilla glue on mine.

To anyone with a loose flip-chip, you actually have to shave 1 mm off the hub side of the chip. They made them a bit too wide and it's your hub that is pushing it out of place, you want your hub to sit on your frame not the chip.

O+
Posted: May 29, 2020 at 13:49 Quote
biname wrote:
Austink wrote:
Yeah mine comes loose. Someone on mtbr said they put some silicon epoxy on theirs. Seems like my tallboy does it too. I was going to put a few drops of gorilla glue on mine.

To anyone with a loose flip-chip, you actually have to shave 1 mm off the hub side of the chip. They made them a bit too wide and it's your hub that is pushing it out of place, you want your hub to sit on your frame not the chip.

Never had this problem... I recently swap it from short to long wheelbase and just put a small amount of mild loctite on the grub screw that holds it in place. how tight is everyone doing up there axles?? they down need to be overly tight. Are you using the Dt swiss QR? And what hubs are you using?

O+
Posted: Jun 2, 2020 at 7:34 Quote
Hey folks!
Who has seen this sweet custom Megatower build on youtube? https://youtu.be/SR8CUBFOPPc
Big question, at the 3:50min mark he's installing some very cool custom caps over the bearings. Anyone know what these would be called or where to find them?

Posted: Jun 2, 2020 at 8:06 Quote
drake88 wrote:
Hey folks!
Who has seen this sweet custom Megatower build on youtube? https://youtu.be/SR8CUBFOPPc
Big question, at the 3:50min mark he's installing some very cool custom caps over the bearings. Anyone know what these would be called or where to find them?

https://uniteco.bike/shop/accessories/santa-cruz-upper-linkage-bolts/

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.020754
Mobile Version of Website