Powered by Outside

Sponsorship insight for all you lazy kids.

PB Forum :: Downhill
Sponsorship insight for all you lazy kids.
Posted: Oct 14, 2008 at 10:53 Quote
I fully agree, nothing more can be said

Mod
Posted: Oct 14, 2008 at 15:02 Quote
DM, you almost have a way of making me feel guilty Razz

Posted: Oct 14, 2008 at 15:15 Quote
What really bugs me is the kids who ride to be sponsored, rather than for fun. Riding isn't a job its a thing to do for fun and to express yourself.

Posted: Oct 14, 2008 at 15:17 Quote
You mean I'm not going to get sponsored by sitting on my couch playing Downhill Domination? My dreams have been crushed Cry .

Posted: Oct 14, 2008 at 15:20 Quote
statler wrote:
You mean I'm not going to get sponsored by sitting on my couch playing Downhill Domination? My dreams have been crushed Cry .

Afraid not, turn Downhill Domination off and go ride your bike.

Posted: Oct 14, 2008 at 15:25 Quote
stpriider2 wrote:
statler wrote:

'Twas a joke. Maybe your response was as sarcastic as mine, but I can't really tell. I don't even own a video game system, haha.

Posted: Oct 15, 2008 at 7:55 Quote
statler wrote:
stpriider2 wrote:
statler wrote:

'Twas a joke. Maybe your response was as sarcastic as mine, but I can't really tell. I don't even own a video game system, haha.
haha nor me and all people talk about is xbox 360
in skool and there like ben what do you do after skool on the weekend
im like i ride then they seam to think i hvnt lived yet not having a little shity x-box lol * Sorry For Bad Spelling *

Posted: Oct 15, 2008 at 9:01 Quote
just going to point something out. this morning before getting to school, i was reading the new issue of "bike", the last page, about the shitbike. was it wade simmons riding it? i forget. anyways, the article points out that you don't need a good bike to be a good rider. I think a reason that most people want a sponsorship, is because they think that beying sponsored will make them a better rider.

O+
Posted: Oct 15, 2008 at 9:08 Quote
i think possibly another reason why kids want to get sponsored is so they actually get to ride more instead of working there asses off to replace broken parts (ME).

Posted: Oct 15, 2008 at 9:10 Quote
yeah, that would be a reason for me ever wanting a sponsorship. i don't think i would want one, because then you have to ride a certain product. what if you don't want the product you have to ride?

Posted: Oct 15, 2008 at 9:32 Quote
Interesting thread, I haven't read all the way through, but I always assumed a kid would have to get results, make appearances e.t.c. in order to get noticed before he would get a sponsorship in the first place - how else do they get one? I just hadn't thought about it much!

- Please don't tell me they get sponsors simply by sending in videos to a mfr or by being good chums with someone at their Lbs!

---
I think ageism may have a bias on the hypothesis of the situation shown at the beginning of the thread, I think the only real reason kids get the sponsorship when they do (too early) is because of the greedy consumerism by manufacturers that is so rife in the mtb industry (demonstrated so heavily by trendy colour schemes, 'ride what the pros ride' marketing as well as very little new product r&d ever being done resulting in a plague of faulty products).

Manufacturers always want their brand name slapped on 'the next big thing' and go around grabbing up all the young riders with potential - using them as a living banner; its easy and convenient advertising and the kids can be dropped without a moments notice too, because young people don't expect loyalty from companies, they haven't had enough experience working for a living in order appreciate or demand it.

Its not just happening in the mtb downhill racing scene, its happening the world over in many industries [especially Hollywood], the kids get cocky because they are given so much so early, but its natural to act that way at such an immature age so they can't be totally blamed, its the older greedy people who have turned sponsorship into a marketing scam and lost all regard for the spirit of racing that there once used to be that are truly at the heart of the problem

- that's my view on the matter anyways!

Posted: Oct 15, 2008 at 9:35 Quote
Hmm... haven't rea it all yet but decent thread.

All of the guys my shop sponsors, who also have many of their own sponsors. Aren't the best out there, they get decent results, but for us it is all about portraying a good image for our shop an being stoked to ride. They are all great guys ranging from 14 to 25. They are always progressing, and pushing their limits an to us that is what counts.

We also don't give them free parts, we just give them decent deals on things. We also tend to give them free labor on their bikes. But they are out riding everyday that they can, and are stoked to do it.

Posted: Oct 15, 2008 at 12:01 Quote
statler wrote:
stpriider2 wrote:
statler wrote:

Nah man, I was being sarcastic too. I have xbox (the original) and I don't play it too often. I'd rather be biking...tup

Posted: Oct 15, 2008 at 12:18 Quote
DustinOrssich wrote:
just going to point something out. this morning before getting to school, i was reading the new issue of "bike", the last page, about the shitbike. was it wade simmons riding it? i forget. anyways, the article points out that you don't need a good bike to be a good rider. I think a reason that most people want a sponsorship, is because they think that beying sponsored will make them a better rider.
true but a good bike made for what you are doing will defiantly help a rider progress.

Posted: Oct 15, 2008 at 15:32 Quote
hahaleon wrote:
DustinOrssich wrote:
true but a good bike made for what you are doing will defiantly help a rider progress.
true, true. i became a better rider when i got my new bike, but now i can go back to my old bike, and ride it the same as my newer bike. once you learn how to ride, you can pretty much ride anything, and still have flow.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011297
Mobile Version of Website