Powered by Outside

YT Jeffsy 27 thread - small wheels only...

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
YT Jeffsy 27 thread - small wheels only...
O+
Posted: Apr 8, 2019 at 5:01 Quote
mightymaus wrote:
I just read the previous post and I am in the same boat.

Last year I bought a 2018 Capra CF 27.5 XL. I am 6' / 183 cm tall with a 32" / 81 cm inseam, so I am right between a L and XL. Although the Capra is the best bike I have ever ridden, I thought the XL was a bit too big / long for me even though I have a long torso and my arm span is slightly greater than the height.

I road the chairlift in Whistler with Tippie last fall. We are the exact same height - right in between the L and XL. He rides the L in the Capra. He prefers a more playful ride he can throw around. I'm no where near the rider he is and I also prefer a bike I can manoeuvre easily.

I am planning on buying the new 2019 Jeffsy 27.5 CF Comp or CF Pro. I am leaning towards the L but on the L I am concerned the effective top tube length is too short (612 mm) and on the XL I am concerned the reach is too long (485 cm).

Thoughts?

I pretty much agree to size down if you're between sizes. Modern bike geometry addresses the reasons why riders were sizing up. At some point the bikes just get too big and long for many riders.

The size guide for the 2019s is a bit different than the 2018s. I ride a Medium 2018 Jeffsy and I am 5'10" (178 cm) with a 30.5" inseam (77.5 cm). I am between M and L and I am very happy with the medium. In the 2019 geometry I am right in the middle of the range for a size large.

Posted: Apr 16, 2019 at 7:55 Quote
Has anyone installed a bash guard or taco on their Jeffrey? What fits? What doesn't fit? The terrain here is f*cked so a ride isn't complete without some smashing on rocks.

Posted: Apr 16, 2019 at 10:13 Quote
The Jeffsy 27 has ISCG05 mounts, so most bash guards should fit.
I run a OneUp BashGuide on mine, that I'm perfectly happy with.

O+
Posted: Apr 20, 2019 at 13:09 Quote
brodoyouevenbike wrote:
Has anyone installed a bash guard or taco on their Jeffrey? What fits? What doesn't fit? The terrain here is f*cked so a ride isn't complete without some smashing on rocks.

I put a Blackspire Beavertail on and it's absolutely perfect. Also ended up putting the Rockguardz downtube protector on after denting the frame with a rock coming up off the tyre.

O+
Posted: Apr 21, 2019 at 9:43 Quote
GrandMasterOrge wrote:
brodoyouevenbike wrote:

I put a Blackspire Beavertail on and it's absolutely perfect. Also ended up putting the Rockguardz downtube protector on after denting the frame with a rock coming up off the tyre.

Blackspire bash and guide. The guide I had to file down to avoid rubbing as the chain line on the jeffsy cuts it close. Almost any bash guard will fit. Oneup makes a good one as well. For the downtube protection I wrapped a used inner tube around the downtube and zap strapped a water bottle cage to it so I could fit a 620ml bottle. 2 for 1 on that solution.

Posted: Apr 25, 2019 at 3:49 Quote
I want to upgrade the airspring in my PIKE's to the 2019 debonair and go up to 160mm travel.

I've got a 2017 Jeffsy 27 CF one. Up to now i've been assuming i've got the A1-A2 2014-2017 Pike's. But just before ordering the airspring I thought i'd double check that the 2017 Jeffsy didn't come specced with a B1 2018+ Pike. Other than the RCT and travel markings on the fork there's no label to indicate what year it is.

Does anyone know for sure which one it is?

Posted: Apr 25, 2019 at 4:30 Quote
Spangle123 wrote:
I want to upgrade the airspring in my PIKE's to the 2019 debonair and go up to 160mm travel.

I've got a 2017 Jeffsy 27 CF one. Up to now i've been assuming i've got the A1-A2 2014-2017 Pike's. But just before ordering the airspring I thought i'd double check that the 2017 Jeffsy didn't come specced with a B1 2018+ Pike. Other than the RCT and travel markings on the fork there's no label to indicate what year it is.

Go on to the RockShox suspension set up webpage, there’s an option to type in your fork serial number and it’ll tell you exactly what model it is.

The serial number is usually found on the back of the crown

Posted: Apr 25, 2019 at 7:27 Quote
Cammyd14 wrote:
Spangle123 wrote:

Go on to the RockShox suspension set up webpage, there’s an option to type in your fork serial number and it’ll tell you exactly what model it is.

The serial number is usually found on the back of the crown

Thanks, that worked a treat. I do have 2017 A2 version Pike's.

Posted: Jun 5, 2019 at 11:29 Quote
Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice on changing to a coil shock on my 27.5 Jeffsy. Has anyone changed theirs to a coil? Does anyone know any compatible coils? Any help would be great!

Cheers
Chris

Posted: Jun 5, 2019 at 19:41 Quote
Chrisj181 wrote:
Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice on changing to a coil shock on my 27.5 Jeffsy. Has anyone changed theirs to a coil? Does anyone know any compatible coils? Any help would be great!

Cheers
Chris

I wrote this a few months ago on the jeffsy 27 thread regarding a superdeluxe coil I put on my Jeffsy. Had a chance to get two more long rides in on the the new superdeluxe coil and wanted to share my impressions on how it rides compared to the air shock. . It had no impact at all on how the bike climbs as far as climbing times. I am able to climb with the shock in open mode with minimal bobbing. Seems to bob a little less than the air shock did in open mode. It does seem to sit higher in the travel and it also handles better on the technical climbs. Seems like I am climbing with less effort than I did with the air shock but still matching the climbing times of the air shock.

Where the coil shock made a huge difference is in on the chunky technical downhills, big drops, jumps, and the areas with high speed chatter. The coil is much more stable on these fast runs without feeling dead. It has plenty of pop and you can still really throw the bike around and pop it over technical features and you can do this while carrying significantly higher speeds. Broke one of my personal records on a really technical fast enduro trail today by 15 seconds as compared to the air shock. I was really surprised by the faster time because it felt like I was expending a lot less effort. It corners faster as well because the back wheel stays much more stable than the air shock as you fly into the corners so that you can carry much more speed out of them with better traction.

All in all, super happy with the change to the coil as it is all upsides and no downsides. I think the enduro and trail runs are going to get even faster as I get used to coil and how it handles. Bike pedals really well with the coil and I seem to use less energy because it is a much smoother shock that helps maintain momentum and traction.

O+
Posted: Jun 7, 2019 at 11:29 Quote
buddymtb wrote:
Chrisj181 wrote:
Hi all,

Cheers
Chris

I wrote this a few months ago on the jeffsy 27 thread regarding a superdeluxe coil I put on my Jeffsy. Had a chance to get two more long rides in on the the new superdeluxe coil and wanted to share my impressions on how it rides compared to the air shock. . It had no impact at all on how the bike climbs as far as climbing times. I am able to climb with the shock in open mode with minimal bobbing. Seems to bob a little less than the air shock did in open mode. It does seem to sit higher in the travel and it also handles better on the technical climbs. Seems like I am climbing with less effort than I did with the air shock but still matching the climbing times of the air shock.

Where the coil shock made a huge difference is in on the chunky technical downhills, big drops, jumps, and the areas with high speed chatter. The coil is much more stable on these fast runs without feeling dead. It has plenty of pop and you can still really throw the bike around and pop it over technical features and you can do this while carrying significantly higher speeds. Broke one of my personal records on a really technical fast enduro trail today by 15 seconds as compared to the air shock. I was really surprised by the faster time because it felt like I was expending a lot less effort. It corners faster as well because the back wheel stays much more stable than the air shock as you fly into the corners so that you can carry much more speed out of them with better traction.

All in all, super happy with the change to the coil as it is all upsides and no downsides. I think the enduro and trail runs are going to get even faster as I get used to coil and how it handles. Bike pedals really well with the coil and I seem to use less energy because it is a much smoother shock that helps maintain momentum and traction.

I would echo everything you said. I just put a DVO Jade coil on my 2019 Jeffsy 27.5 and it feels amazing. Exactly as you have described.

O+
Posted: Jun 28, 2019 at 7:06 Quote
So I have a 2017 Jeffsy Al Comp. My drive side bb bearings are shot so I want to replace it.

Should I stick with the same one that came with the bike, or what have some folks upgraded to?

Thanks a lot!

Posted: Jul 2, 2019 at 15:26 Quote
provin1327 wrote:
buddymtb wrote:
Chrisj181 wrote:
Hi all,

Cheers
Chris

I would echo everything you said. I just put a DVO Jade coil on my 2019 Jeffsy 27.5 and it feels amazing. Exactly as you have described.

RE: the Jade Coil
Did you need to buy special mounting hardware or did it bolt straight in, and how did you work out spring rate?
Or can DVO recommend all the the above?
Cheers

O+
Posted: Jul 3, 2019 at 6:27 Quote
74NZ wrote:
provin1327 wrote:
buddymtb wrote:

RE: the Jade Coil
Did you need to buy special mounting hardware or did it bolt straight in, and how did you work out spring rate?
Or can DVO recommend all the the above?
Cheers

I had to buy hardware from DVO. I called them and they knew what size I needed. I used Fox's spring rate calculator but DVO can also recommend a spring rate.

https://www.ridefox.com/fox_tech_center/owners_manuals/08/WCeng/Content/mtbspringratecalculator.html

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012723
Mobile Version of Website