Powered by Outside

Your XC/AM Bike

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Your XC/AM Bike
Posted: Feb 1, 2021 at 13:19 Quote
jph406 wrote:
Thanks. They tan walls will only stay until they are worn. Back to black after that. I really want to try the Maxxis Aspen 2.4WT. Anyone running those? Input?

Maybe on the rear but I got so tired of no braking traction, no more semi slicks for this guy.

O+
Posted: Feb 1, 2021 at 13:22 Quote
Twenty6 on a xc race rig ... ha. That would be a site. Maybe I'll run the Aspen in the rear and keep the Ardent up front. I've like the Ardent up front. I was running Ikon front and rear. The Ikon is a TERRIBLE front tire.

Posted: Feb 1, 2021 at 13:36 Quote
Most would say the same about the Ardent....

O+
Posted: Feb 1, 2021 at 15:54 Quote
whattheheel wrote:
Most would say the same about the Ardent....

Yeah, I 100% prefered the IKON for grip over the Ardent for my XC racing. Mind this was on Ontario hardpack.

O+
Posted: Feb 1, 2021 at 15:56 Quote
fantaman wrote:
My new trail bike for this year
photo
]

From full carbon goodness on the Yeti to all-metal goodness on this... two awesome bikes.

Is that a Thomson Ti bar I see?

Posted: Feb 1, 2021 at 16:29 Quote
Quinn-39 wrote:
fantaman wrote:
My new trail bike for this year
photo
]

From full carbon goodness on the Yeti to all-metal goodness on this... two awesome bikes.

Is that a Thomson Ti bar I see?

Yes sir that is a Thomson Ti bar, also combined it with the Intend Grace FR stem that is 35mm long.

O+
Posted: Feb 1, 2021 at 18:28 Quote
photo

built up a ranger without a demo because it was on my short list and a dealer had the frame in stock so i jumped on it while it was still available. built it up with some lightish wheels and the whole build is probably 9-10lbs lighter than my enduro bike. what a different experience! i was a little weary of the steep head angle and even thought about upforking to slacken it out but to be honest it feels amazing in this configuration. i’ve taken it down some seriously steep stuff and it’s a badass little bike! probably my favorite so far

O+
Posted: Feb 1, 2021 at 19:52 Quote
frigofff wrote:
photo

built up a ranger without a demo because it was on my short list and a dealer had the frame in stock so i jumped on it while it was still available. built it up with some lightish wheels and the whole build is probably 9-10lbs lighter than my enduro bike. what a different experience! i was a little weary of the steep head angle and even thought about upforking to slacken it out but to be honest it feels amazing in this configuration. i’ve taken it down some seriously steep stuff and it’s a badass little bike! probably my favorite so far

Very cool. Revel’s have a really clean look.

Posted: Feb 1, 2021 at 20:36 Quote
fredro wrote:
Tks. Everything is pretty much SRAM/Rockshox except the rear Fox shock. I hate mismatching suspension, tires, brakes, rims, hubs, or anything that comes in pairs. I thought about swapping for RS rear shock, but the Fox feels pretty damn good to be honest. Not big on Fox forks, but their shocks usually get the job done well.

Get a RS one and polish the air can, max matchi match

O+
Posted: Feb 20, 2021 at 8:54 Quote
anybody chose the Marin rift zone as an xc bike? how is it handling on the way up? and how was it on the way down

Posted: Feb 20, 2021 at 9:50 Quote
frigofff wrote:
photo

I might be totally off base here, but... Science 101 lesson 1 is it’s a huge no-no to have multiple variables in an experiment, which is exactly what happened with this geometry evolution we have seen. I think the stability and speed people have fallen in love with with modern geometry is largely related to that steep seat tube which allows a long reach and short stem, but most everyone seems to assume it’s due to the slack HA which somewhat occurred before manufactures got serious about steep seat tubes as a way to stabilize the bike. Now it seems like slackening the HA is always just thrown in for good measure. Having now ridden some bikes with a steep ST & long front center with a not so slack HA, it’s honestly really nice. Definitely helps it maintain nimbleness while still having that new age stability and confidence.

O+
Posted: Feb 20, 2021 at 23:15 Quote
ninjatarian wrote:
frigofff wrote:
photo

I might be totally off base here, but... Science 101 lesson 1 is it’s a huge no-no to have multiple variables in an experiment, which is exactly what happened with this geometry evolution we have seen. I think the stability and speed people have fallen in love with with modern geometry is largely related to that steep seat tube which allows a long reach and short stem, but most everyone seems to assume it’s due to the slack HA which somewhat occurred before manufactures got serious about steep seat tubes as a way to stabilize the bike. Now it seems like slackening the HA is always just thrown in for good measure. Having now ridden some bikes with a steep ST & long front center with a not so slack HA, it’s honestly really nice. Definitely helps it maintain nimbleness while still having that new age stability and confidence.

to be honest this bike has me reevaluating everything i know about riding a big enduro bike. i’m currently looking for some less slacked out rigs in the 140mm + category to compliment this thing. my current big bike is about 37lbs and change with a 1265 wheelbase and it’s just not as fun to ride. looking for something closer to this little guy as it’s just been an absolute rocket ship

Posted: Mar 9, 2021 at 17:12 Quote
Needed a dual duty AM bike to ride with my wife & newer riders as well as something to 'replace' my aging Tarmac with after moving. I can barely get around our neighborhood on the 34/36 this has let alone a road bike, our hills are a fitness nightmare. Feels like a 29er BMX bike, pretty fun geo on the Cache.

photo

O+
Posted: Mar 9, 2021 at 18:16 Quote
Looks nice we need a better side shot though.

Posted: Mar 10, 2021 at 8:09 Quote
Fair enough, here's a couple more. Still working on the fit so by no means done with it, its pretty much a parts bin experiment anyway so I expect things will change.

photo
photo
photo

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.033504
Mobile Version of Website