Powered by Outside

RATE MY RIDE XC/AM - RATE THE BIKE posted above you.

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
RATE MY RIDE XC/AM - RATE THE BIKE posted above you.
Posted: May 15, 2022 at 23:23 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
9/10, almost perfect minus the hope brakes

You should try the new Tech 4's, may change your opinion! Damn what an upgrade!

Posted: May 16, 2022 at 7:52 Quote
nealy578 wrote:
newbermuda wrote:

I've been running Tech 3's for many years and have zero complaints. That bike is a 10/10 because it has Hopes on it in my opinion lol Salute

O+
Posted: May 16, 2022 at 7:57 Quote
nealy578 wrote:
newbermuda wrote:

So you're saying i should spend $600+ to fix a problem that i don't have, with brakes that i know i wont like. 0/10 advice rating.

O+
Posted: May 16, 2022 at 8:31 Quote
labrinsky wrote:
8/10 for the stumpy. Good looking build. Bet it's a blast to ride!

I finally finished my Scor, built it up with parts from the last bike originally and now it's finally got its own build! The Ohlins 38 is a special edition and has the same size crown they used for the 1.8 steerer versions.
photo

photo

9.5/10, same reason but TRPs or Shimanos on there an it's a 10

Posted: May 16, 2022 at 8:50 Quote
Hey for the brakes IDK why CODE RSC's wouldn't be the option for going with Sram?

Is it the particular HOPE model that's the issue, or are HOPE brakes in general not as well liked as I thought?

~JSV

Posted: May 16, 2022 at 8:53 Quote
They (Hope in general) don’t have a lot of initial bite, compared to others, so folk assume less power, but they are very well modulated, they’ll still stop you well, but it feels different, less grabby to, say, shimano.

Posted: May 16, 2022 at 9:08 Quote
tomhoward379 wrote:
They (Hope in general) don’t have a lot of initial bite, compared to others, so folk assume less power, but they are very well modulated, they’ll still stop you well, but it feels different, less grabby to, say, shimano.

Well that's interesting, and thanks, I think you've finally answered my question. I also hear a similar thing said a lot about Sram (vs. Shimano). I've used both, and am now a bigger fan of SRAM for my own reasons. But I have found that when the pads and rotors are properly bedded, the Sram brakes have just a tiny bit more modulation than the Shimano, and if you grip the lever quickly they WILL bite stiff with not really much effort or pressure.

Maybe it's my riding, the way I'm bedding new pads or rotors, or just how I'm interpreting what others say about different brakes, but I don't seem to "feel" TOO big a difference between Sram and Shimano. I do use only 200mm rotors too, that could have an effect on how they feel I'd assume.

Interesting info though talking about the different brakes

~JSV

Posted: May 16, 2022 at 9:16 Quote
ScaryGuiTarS wrote:
tomhoward379 wrote:

Well that's interesting, and thanks, I think you've finally answered my question. I also hear a similar thing said a lot about Sram (vs. Shimano). I've used both, and am now a bigger fan of SRAM for my own reasons. But I have found that when the pads and rotors are properly bedded, the Sram brakes have just a tiny bit more modulation than the Shimano, and if you grip the lever quickly they WILL bite stiff with not really much effort or pressure.

Maybe it's my riding, the way I'm bedding new pads or rotors, or just how I'm interpreting what others say about different brakes, but I don't seem to "feel" TOO big a difference between Sram and Shimano. I do use only 200mm rotors too, that could have an effect on how they feel I'd assume.

Interesting info though talking about the different brakes

~JSV
Hopes for stoppies, shimano to eat dirt

Posted: May 17, 2022 at 4:50 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
nealy578 wrote:
newbermuda wrote:

So you're saying i should spend $600+ to fix a problem that i don't have, with brakes that i know i wont like. 0/10 advice rating.

Did I suggest you buy some? I said you should try some it may change your opinion?

0/10 response rating

O+
Posted: May 17, 2022 at 6:44 Quote
Its always funny to me when people say shimanos are too grabby or “nOt eNoUgH mOdUlAtIoN”. Brake control is in the fingers.

Posted: May 17, 2022 at 6:50 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
Its always funny to me when people say shimanos are too grabby or “nOt eNoUgH mOdUlAtIoN”. Brake control is in the fingers.

Exactly, what they are describing is where in the lever travel the power comes in.

grabby, high power early on but doesn’t increase so much the more you pull the lever.

Modulation, starts low but constantly building the more you pull on the lever.

Personal preference on feel really.

Posted: May 17, 2022 at 20:08 Quote
9/10 to the Scor- frame looks so clean. Current sled:

photo

Posted: May 18, 2022 at 10:19 Quote
newbermuda wrote:

People use different locations on their fingers to brake, changing leverage. It's been somewhat pointed out that people that brake with the end of their finger tend to before brakes with modulation, as there's tons of power on tap on your finger there, vs people who brake closer to the knuckle, who want more power as there's less leverage.

I'm firmly in the camp of Shimano being too grabby, add in a migrating bite point and it just feels wrong to me.

Brake control is a package between ergonomics and the brake system itself.

O+
Posted: Jun 5, 2022 at 16:29 Quote
9.9/10

1999 Schwinn Homegrown 4Banger AM. Mostly Original

photo

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.023973
Mobile Version of Website