Powered by Outside

Suspension SETUP, a 'how to' guide...

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Suspension SETUP, a 'how to' guide...
Posted: Mar 26, 2015 at 3:51 Quote
Whats a good starting point with rebound on the 2014 FOX FLOAT CTD shock? Been playing around with it but it’s a new shock to me and I’m not sure how to get the best out of it.
I’ve set correct sag of course, using the FoX guide, they recommend 20% but might ease a bit out and go for 25%, is that generally what people have with this shock?

Posted: Mar 26, 2015 at 10:12 Quote
Always start in the middle setting for your rebound.

Posted: Mar 26, 2015 at 12:05 Quote
mischieff wrote:
Whats a good starting point with rebound on the 2014 FOX FLOAT CTD shock? Been playing around with it but it’s a new shock to me and I’m not sure how to get the best out of it.
I’ve set correct sag of course, using the FoX guide, they recommend 20% but might ease a bit out and go for 25%, is that generally what people have with this shock?
"Correct" Sag depends on the bike, many virtual pivot bikes work best around 30%.

Rebound - there are a few clicks that match the spring weight, so I like to start full fast, then slow it down until there is just enough rebound damping to control the spring, not enough to make it pack down.

Posted: Mar 26, 2015 at 13:49 Quote
I would say run more pressure to reduce the chance of blowing up the shock, and while it rides better at lower pressures, the shock tends to have a tendency to bottom out harshly. I've sent mine back twice.

O+
Posted: Mar 26, 2015 at 14:41 Quote
mischieff wrote:

I use a bracketing technique. Start at half, and go halfway in either direction to see how it feels, then back or forth to where it feels best.

For example, if your shock has 24 clicks of rebound, start at 12, then go to 6 to see what the difference feels like, then go to 9. At that point you should know if you need a click or two more or less.

You'll have to find what works best for your weight, spring rate, and the terrain you ride. We can't really recommend a setting.

O+
Posted: Apr 17, 2015 at 1:03 Quote
Is there any table with recommended settings for the Charger boxxer, as it used to be for the R2C2 damper?
I've just built myself a new bike, sporting a new boxxer up front, and I'd like to have some baseline before fiddling with the settings. I haven't had the chance to work on the setup on a trail properly yet, so I've set it up just by feel, but I could run the rebound fully open (at 55 psi), which just sounds wrong to me.

And the same goes for the Ohlins TTX, I'd be so happy to have some baseline settings there. It's not like I couldn't set my suspension properly(ish) eventually, but having a good starting point could help me get there much faster Smile

Thanks!

Posted: Apr 17, 2015 at 6:04 Quote
Hi guys. Do you know what is the maximum number of preload turns for a Rockshox Kage or Vivid?

Posted: Apr 17, 2015 at 12:02 Quote
If you need more than 5 turns, buy a stiffer spring.

Posted: Apr 17, 2015 at 12:17 Quote
i had marzocchi 888rc2 evo 2014 someone know how setup the preload compression and vol air?

Posted: Apr 17, 2015 at 12:52 Quote
Volume air can be fully open (counter clockwise). I liked the spring preload about halfway in to get the fork to stand up a little bit more in the beginning of the stroke.

Posted: Apr 29, 2015 at 18:42 Quote
How can I make the ramp up in compression happen earlier on my rear shock? I have a Rock Shox Vivid Air R2C and the bike is a 2011 Scott Voltage.

Posted: Apr 29, 2015 at 18:49 Quote
HardtailHucker03 wrote:
How can I make the ramp up in compression happen earlier on my rear shock? I have a Rock Shox Vivid Air R2C and the bike is a 2011 Scott Voltage.

you could probably add some air volume reducers to the inside to reduce the volume.

Posted: Apr 29, 2015 at 18:52 Quote
ibishreddin wrote:
HardtailHucker03 wrote:

you could probably add some air volume reducers to the inside to reduce the volume.
Do you know of any guides on this or where I can get reducers? and thanks on the fast reply!

Posted: May 4, 2015 at 5:53 Quote
Hey,

Don't know if this is going to make any sense but what adjustments should I make to reduce arm pump? Running about 10 psi above minimum pressure. Fork is Pike RCT3.

Cheers,
Ali

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013664
Mobile Version of Website