Powered by Outside

DH bike under 5000

PB Forum :: Downhill
DH bike under 5000
Mod
Posted: Jan 30, 2009 at 11:20 Quote
With $5-$6k, you can make a Reign X0 into a DH slayer!

photo

Posted: Jan 30, 2009 at 11:34 Quote
You could also get a transition blindside frame for $1400-$1600 and build it anyway you want

Posted: Jan 30, 2009 at 11:38 Quote
DarkElement101 wrote:
odin333 wrote:
DarkElement101 wrote:
beast as f*ck man ,5200 for the thing with totem air and x.o or x.9 build kit(can remember) = beast

pretty sure its the X.9 kit for $5200. X.O is pretty pointless anyway. Also, the Santa Cruz website says that there not going to be available until June to start buying? how are you going to have one in time for the first 3 O-cups?
i thought it was avalable for sale at May?..watevea i can probabley use my freinds bike...are there any regulations limiting the use of more than one bike?(ive never raced o-cup so yea )

oh never mind your right. the SC website says that the bike builder isn't available until June 2009.

O+
Posted: Jan 30, 2009 at 11:39 Quote
odin333 wrote:
DarkElement101 wrote:
odin333 wrote:

pretty sure its the X.9 kit for $5200. X.O is pretty pointless anyway. Also, the Santa Cruz website says that there not going to be available until June to start buying? how are you going to have one in time for the first 3 O-cups?
i thought it was avalable for sale at May?..watevea i can probabley use my freinds bike...are there any regulations limiting the use of more than one bike?(ive never raced o-cup so yea )

oh never mind your right. the SC website says that the bike builder isn't available until June 2009.
yeah too bad, i think it just shows off colors, forks and shocks though

O+
Posted: Jan 30, 2009 at 11:54 Quote
laurie1 wrote:
Aren't O-Cup races at relatively pedally courses? For riding mainly in Ontario and racing in Ontario, I'd just use something like a Reign X0 frame and build a capable 32 pound race bike. I don't see the need to have a huge plow bike in Ontario from the stuff I've seen. If you plan on riding in Quebec races at St. Anne, I could see the need but if you are primarily riding in Ontario, why not just get a smaller bike that will pedal better, be more nimble, and is lighter?

exactly what i've been saying this whole thread...BUT as I said, if hes only going to have one bike, and go to some q-cups in the coming years. A bigger bike makes sense. but only then.

edit: even if you have "backyard shore stuff" which is more freeride i'm thinking. Wouldn't a lighter bike with less "race"' geo be better. Then you can push it up the hill, if there is even a hill (it is ON afterall), unless you have a backyard chairlift...

Mod
Posted: Jan 30, 2009 at 11:57 Quote
The OP is still relatively young and will more than likely out grow this bike in a couple seasons. There is definitely time to get a bigger bike...

O+
Posted: Jan 30, 2009 at 11:59 Quote
Freeride321 wrote:
I dunno if you considered the flatline 3, but if I take care of what you mentinned in your first post. You need a solid/rigid frame that will eat everything you throw at it and which can handle DH. There is no bike able to last 3 years of intensive riding more than the flatline. His wheigh explain it...

hasn't the flatline only been available for 2 years? I'm not trying to start something, but claiming the only bike able to last three years is one that was just released 2 or so years ago from a full-on re-design is a bit much, no?

O+
Posted: Jan 30, 2009 at 11:59 Quote
laurie1 wrote:
The OP is still relatively young and will more than likely out grow this bike in a couple seasons. There is definitely time to get a bigger bike...

true that, that being said. I rode a stinky because it was what I wanted back when a couple years ago, but had I known I'd be as much into racing as I am, I would have rather bought a bigger race specific bike then.

Posted: Jan 30, 2009 at 12:02 Quote
ciszewski wrote:
laurie1 wrote:
Aren't O-Cup races at relatively pedally courses? For riding mainly in Ontario and racing in Ontario, I'd just use something like a Reign X0 frame and build a capable 32 pound race bike. I don't see the need to have a huge plow bike in Ontario from the stuff I've seen. If you plan on riding in Quebec races at St. Anne, I could see the need but if you are primarily riding in Ontario, why not just get a smaller bike that will pedal better, be more nimble, and is lighter?

exactly what i've been saying this whole thread...BUT as I said, if hes only going to have one bike, and go to some q-cups in the coming years. A bigger bike makes sense. but only then.

edit: even if you have "backyard shore stuff" which is more freeride i'm thinking. Wouldn't a lighter bike with less "race"' geo be better. Then you can push it up the hill, if there is even a hill (it is ON afterall), unless you have a backyard chairlift...

acually barrie is on a giant hill and i live at the top .weight has never been and never will be an issue ,remember i used to ride a 37 pound hardtail *cough* Kona scrap *Cough*...(good thing its gone!)

Posted: Jan 30, 2009 at 12:06 Quote
ciszewski wrote:
Freeride321 wrote:
I dunno if you considered the flatline 3, but if I take care of what you mentinned in your first post. You need a solid/rigid frame that will eat everything you throw at it and which can handle DH. There is no bike able to last 3 years of intensive riding more than the flatline. His wheigh explain it...

hasn't the flatline only been available for 2 years? I'm not trying to start something, but claiming the only bike able to last three years is one that was just released 2 or so years ago from a full-on re-design is a bit much, no?

realisticly im trying to say that i want a frame that last 3 years with out cracks if well maintanded.(i take very good care of my bikes).

O+
Posted: Jan 30, 2009 at 12:07 Quote
DarkElement101 wrote:
acually barrie is on a giant hill and i live at the top .weight has never been and never will be an issue ,remember i used to ride a 37 pound hardtail *cough* Kona scrap *Cough*...(good thing it gone!)

aahhh, ok that makes sense. but I still don't think something like a 303 makes sense. Also, being pedally courses, a 42lbs squish is going to pedal quite a bit worse than a 37lbs hardtail.

But if weight is not a key, then at least find something with a well known pedalling platform for O-Cups.

O+
Posted: Jan 30, 2009 at 12:09 Quote
DarkElement101 wrote:
ciszewski wrote:
Freeride321 wrote:

realisticly im trying to say that i want a frame that last 3 years with out cracks if well maintanded.(i take very good care of my bikes).

yeah I get that. But how could anyone tell if a completely re-designed bike that only got released 2 years ago, maybe less, could last three years under harsh condition. Fully redisigned bike will normally have problems. I know there are some that don't but quite a few do.

Posted: Jan 30, 2009 at 13:28 Quote
ciszewski wrote:
DarkElement101 wrote:
ciszewski wrote:

yeah I get that. But how could anyone tell if a completely re-designed bike that only got released 2 years ago, maybe less, could last three years under harsh condition. Fully redisigned bike will normally have problems. I know there are some that don't but quite a few do.

Well yea , there's no proof, I kinda exagereted on that. But this frame has been made to don't crack. When wade simmons tested the proto, he cracked the frame on a 15ft drop. Then they redesigned the flatline to get it stronger, that's why it took so much time before we could buy one the market.. comparing to the others.

Posted: Jan 30, 2009 at 15:30 Quote
Freeride321 wrote:

Well yea , there's no proof, I kinda exagereted on that. But this frame has been made to don't crack. When wade simmons tested the proto, he cracked the frame on a 15ft drop. Then they redesigned the flatline to get it stronger, that's why it took so much time before we could buy one the market.. comparing to the others.

taking what you say, that would mean that every other company doesn't bother to test there frames? your just a Rocky Mountain fan boy. The real reason the flatline took so long to finally be ready for retail is because they ran into so many problems with the linkages and tubing designs on the bike, its not because they wanted to have the strongest bike, its because they couldn't figure out how to make the bike stop breaking.

there is no bike that doesn't break. maintaining it is only a small fraction. if your a 140 pound smooth rider who lands everything and takes the easiest line on a course or trail the chances of you breaking a bike are alot slimmer then a 200 pound guy who blows over everything and bottoms out his suspension constantly off of big drops.

O+
Posted: Jan 30, 2009 at 15:34 Quote
what about one of the new uzzi vpxs. pertty sick bike. 7.7 inches. pedals well, and can take anything you can throw at it.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012115
Mobile Version of Website