Powered by Outside

RockShox TOTEM / LYRIK discussion thread

PB Forum :: Downhill
RockShox TOTEM / LYRIK discussion thread
Posted: Jul 9, 2015 at 9:19 Quote
Pauldenney wrote:
Hey guys,

Looking for help from anyone who has had to replace the compression damper on an older (2007) Totem coil. Mine needs replacing and I’ve been trying to decipher the sram parts list and what is compatible with what.

From what I understand I just need to buy the updated damper below and it will be compatible with the existing rebound damper.

Part# 11.4015.544.180 - Compression Damper, Mission Control DH (no Floodgate) – 2012 Totem (includes comp knobs, compatible with all Totem models and years)

If I would like to do the full upgrade and replace the rebound damper with the new one, I need to get the following parts.

Part# 11.4015.427.010 - Damper Tube, Motion Control IS - 2010-2013 Totem (not compatible with 07-09 rebound Damper)

And

Part# 11.4015.416.030 - Rebound Damper (Aluminum Shaft), Mission Control, Mission Control DH - 2010-2012 Totem (not compatible with 07-09 Damper tube) (includes rebound adjuster knob)

If anyone could let me know if I got this upgrading thing right it would be greatly appreciated

Just bumping this, seeing if anyone can help.

Thanks

Posted: Jul 12, 2015 at 18:57 Quote
Just put pike seals in my lyrik. Wow! huge increase in small bump compliance.

Has anyone experimented with different oil weights in the damper? I feel like I have no compression damping.

Posted: Jul 12, 2015 at 21:29 Quote
skerby wrote:

Has anyone experimented with different oil weights in the damper? I feel like I have no compression damping.

hmmmm i try this

O+
Posted: Jul 12, 2015 at 22:09 Quote
I did this about 6 months ago, it really does make a difference in the small bump. Not sure what your summer trail conditions are like, but for dry and dusty Utah I've found myself servicing the lowers more frequently.

I've played with weights in the bath oil, but not the damper.

A few pages back others have reported a loss of compression dampening, some were saying it's connected to the Pike seals negating the need of the lower oil seals (?) I'm not a suspension guru, but I've noticed it as well. Because the Pike seals make the fork soooo supple, I've been able to run more air to help keep the fork higher in its travel.

Posted: Jul 12, 2015 at 23:13 Quote
How do you change the dust wipers / oil seals on a totem? I know to pry them out with a screwdriver, being careful not to maul the edges, but how do you put them back in? I was thinking of the RWC enduro seals. Anyone run those?

And where do you put the travel spacers for lowering it? It says between the base plate and neg piston, but there are a neg piston top out bumper, a wavy washer, and a alu support washer between that

Posted: Jul 13, 2015 at 1:07 Quote
I think you can find some exploded diagrams about the travel spacers on mtbr.

Has anyone tried removing the oil seals on a totem? Yesterday I noticed the wiper seals and oil seals have double lips, meaning four lips total which makes for a lot of stiction on those 40mm legs. I was thinking about just not running the oil seals. Thoughts?

Posted: Jul 13, 2015 at 2:38 Quote
skerby wrote:

yeah, I used pike seals and 15W instead of 5 in my old lyrik. made the compression range much better

Posted: Jul 13, 2015 at 2:58 Quote
Thanks for that riish. The compression knobs on my totem don't do anything. I'll try 15w also.

Posted: Jul 13, 2015 at 3:36 Quote
jaame wrote:
Thanks for that riish. The compression knobs on my totem don't do anything. I'll try 15w also.

When was it last serviced? The heavier oil is to offset the decreased resistance from the better seals, just upping the oil weight will just increase the damping across the range.

Posted: Jul 13, 2015 at 4:10 Quote
jaame wrote:

interesting that you mention this. I had this issue with my lyrik for ages, and upping the oil weight was the only way i could figure out to adjust my compression settings.

I haven't had the chance to ride my new one properly to see if there's any improvement (switched from a 2010 coil to a 2014 solo air)

Posted: Jul 13, 2015 at 6:37 Quote
My totem is a 2012 which I've had since new. I haven't used it for almost two years but but I serviced the air side and lowers every couple of months for the first three years. The compression adjusters never made any difference even from new and reading through the forums it seems like this is normal. I know I could send it off for some tuning but I'm a tight c*nt and changing the oil to something I already have is worth a try!

Posted: Jul 13, 2015 at 7:05 Quote
The three totems ive dealt with have all had a decent range of adjustment, seems strange that it wouldn't from new, my old rc2dh coil went from buttery smooth to super firm with just the low speed adjuster, I never reliably noticed much difference in the high speed (though full open was noticeably easier to bottom out than full closed) but I usually just set high speed comp to half and leave it at that.

Posted: Jul 13, 2015 at 9:37 Quote
jaame wrote:
I think you can find some exploded diagrams about the travel spacers on mtbr.

Has anyone tried removing the oil seals on a totem? Yesterday I noticed the wiper seals and oil seals have double lips, meaning four lips total which makes for a lot of stiction on those 40mm legs. I was thinking about just not running the oil seals. Thoughts?

Look at the RWC enduro seal kit I mentioned, one seal for oil, one for dirt

Posted: Jul 13, 2015 at 12:43 Quote
Anyone know air spring o-ring sizes for Totem air? They don't appear to be listed in the service manual.

Posted: Jul 13, 2015 at 21:39 Quote
I looked at getting enduro seals before but was put off by some reviews I read saying they are too hard and scratch the legs up quickly. Also I just looked at the picture on their website and it still shows four lips total. Both the wiper and the oil seal have two lips each (unless the picture is not the actual totem seal). Have you used them yourself?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012607
Mobile Version of Website