Official Vernon Riders Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Official Vernon Riders Thread
O+
Posted: Mar 14, 2024 at 19:05 Quote
L8N8 wrote:
dfbland wrote:
L8N8 wrote:
We are thinking another trip now out to Sicamous/vernon for other reasons but OF COURSE bring the bikes!!!

Pretty safe to assume that if the weather is favourable the hills around are all solid to ride by end of may?

Favourite flow trails anyone?

Night life at Sun Peaks is comparable to night life at Silver Star, it's not winter, so there isn't really a night life unless events are happening.

Sicamous is only good for houseboating as the parties happen up the lake, so Vernon or Kelowna would be your better option in that regard.

And ... It's not uncommon for snow and mud to plague the mountains until July, so it's not as safe a bet as you think.

Is there any common south facing slopes that are more likely rideable that time of year that folks gravitate too? Im sure I read mention of trails opening around April 14th?
I swear we have one north facing valley that retains snow year round here. It’s always messy

By up the Lake you mean South of Sicamous, as mentioned Vernon etc?

Would be hoping to find venues where similar minded(outdoor adventure type) folks rally if such a place exists. Don’t need to just go watch hockey or hang with ladies who are afraid to leave pavement if ya know what I mean… hence hoping for a nightlife on the hill.

I'd say do the Sun Peaks/Silver Star calendar as suggested already, best way to find good people to hang out with, and there are pubs at both hills that should have a few people (just not night clubs). At Silver Star you can also give Sovereign a couple of rides. There will be plenty of trails rideable by July, just check trailforks for conditions.

Sicamous, up the lake I meant North and boat access only. But ya, Vernon and Kelowna (even Kamloops) has decent nightlife like you're looking for... Kelowna as an example has a good brewery district at the base of Knox Mountain, so you can literally get in a couple of easy going laps and hit a couple or dozen different breweries. Vernon you can bike Kal Lake and bike to a Coldstream Pub. Kamloops, the biking is usually further away from the town centre (except for the Bike Ranch, which is a lot of fun if you want free jumps), but there's a few good places spread around town, just ask people you come across.

O+
Posted: Mar 15, 2024 at 6:27 Quote
dfbland wrote:
L8N8 wrote:
dfbland wrote:

Night life at Sun Peaks is comparable to night life at Silver Star, it's not winter, so there isn't really a night life unless events are happening.

Sicamous is only good for houseboating as the parties happen up the lake, so Vernon or Kelowna would be your better option in that regard.

And ... It's not uncommon for snow and mud to plague the mountains until July, so it's not as safe a bet as you think.

Is there any common south facing slopes that are more likely rideable that time of year that folks gravitate too? Im sure I read mention of trails opening around April 14th?
I swear we have one north facing valley that retains snow year round here. It’s always messy

By up the Lake you mean South of Sicamous, as mentioned Vernon etc?

Would be hoping to find venues where similar minded(outdoor adventure type) folks rally if such a place exists. Don’t need to just go watch hockey or hang with ladies who are afraid to leave pavement if ya know what I mean… hence hoping for a nightlife on the hill.

I'd say do the Sun Peaks/Silver Star calendar as suggested already, best way to find good people to hang out with, and there are pubs at both hills that should have a few people (just not night clubs). At Silver Star you can also give Sovereign a couple of rides. There will be plenty of trails rideable by July, just check trailforks for conditions.

Sicamous, up the lake I meant North and boat access only. But ya, Vernon and Kelowna (even Kamloops) has decent nightlife like you're looking for... Kelowna as an example has a good brewery district at the base of Knox Mountain, so you can literally get in a couple of easy going laps and hit a couple or dozen different breweries. Vernon you can bike Kal Lake and bike to a Coldstream Pub. Kamloops, the biking is usually further away from the town centre (except for the Bike Ranch, which is a lot of fun if you want free jumps), but there's a few good places spread around town, just ask people you come across.

Doing a brewery tour in Kelowna is awesome - good call. There are a bunch packed together right near the lake, and some of the breweries are halfway to being nightclubs. End the night at BNA and people should be rowdy, plus it's open the latest I think. Lots of the breweries close kinda early.

Posted: Mar 15, 2024 at 20:46 Quote
Lower Ellison is mint... about as good as it gets.

Posted: Mar 16, 2024 at 9:27 Quote
Thanks For the info ya’ll!

Looking forward to exploring some of your stomping grounds This year

O+
Posted: Mar 16, 2024 at 11:30 Quote
jaydawg69 wrote:
Lower Ellison is mint... about as good as it gets.

Deez Nutz!

O+
Posted: Mar 18, 2024 at 6:06 Quote
The Wall/Lookout are primo, I'd imagine Noboats too. Tis the season!

O+
Posted: Apr 1, 2024 at 15:07 Quote
Folks,

Anyone been up to flowvid yet? Twisted Sisters was great yesterday and hoping to get up higher tomorrow, but don't need to ride rotten cabin for muck. Assume Twista is good too.

O+
Posted: Apr 1, 2024 at 20:54 Quote
Don’t know about Flovid but Twista is mint right now. Just rode it this afternoon.

O+
Posted: Apr 2, 2024 at 7:24 Quote
uncleric09 wrote:
Don’t know about Flovid but Twista is mint right now. Just rode it this afternoon.

Bam! I'm gonna go for it and will report back. Can't be that bad, especially after yesterday and today being in the 20s

O+
Posted: Apr 2, 2024 at 7:42 Quote
jesse-effing-edwards wrote:
uncleric09 wrote:

Bam! I'm gonna go for it and will report back. Can't be that bad, especially after yesterday and today being in the 20s

I rode it Saturday after a heavy overnight frost and it had a few greasy spots but not bad, it should be pretty good today. Twista was excellent.

O+
Posted: Apr 2, 2024 at 20:02 Quote
uncleric09 wrote:

How was it? I was debating on going up but I’m battling a flu right now. Did Twista and no boats again.

Posted: Apr 3, 2024 at 0:07 Quote
Hi Vernon,

Back with a few more questions for ya. Shop related this time

I know to take answers with a grain for sure, that said I appreciate any thoughts on great shops to deal with, best place to find quality techs, what shops are geared more towards MTB, have high end components, possibly a good option for bike rentals and any other thoughts.

I have a local Vernon friend who is looking to get geared up and get riding with us.

Thanks!

O+
Posted: Apr 3, 2024 at 7:34 Quote
uncleric09 wrote:
uncleric09 wrote:

How was it? I was debating on going up but I’m battling a flu right now. Did Twista and no boats again.

There is some long lasting bug going around right now!

Flowvid-Boats are all time conditions right now. Looking at the forecast, things will be dusty soon :S

O+
Posted: Apr 3, 2024 at 7:37 Quote
L8N8 wrote:
Hi Vernon,

Back with a few more questions for ya. Shop related this time

I know to take answers with a grain for sure, that said I appreciate any thoughts on great shops to deal with, best place to find quality techs, what shops are geared more towards MTB, have high end components, possibly a good option for bike rentals and any other thoughts.

I have a local Vernon friend who is looking to get geared up and get riding with us.

Thanks!

That's complicated! haha. I feel like Skyride is the default for gravity folks and they only sell MTB, vs the others which sell more of a range. One thing I'll say about them is they seem to be able to service DVO stuff, which not all shops can, so if that's relevant. I think you can find good service and stuff at all 3, though (aside from DVO).

O+
Posted: Apr 3, 2024 at 12:09 Quote
uncleric09 wrote:

There is some long lasting bug going around right now!

Flowvid-Boats are all time conditions right now. Looking at the forecast, things will be dusty soon :S

Yeah, I was blown away on how great Twista and Flovid are right now. Sadly the heat will come…

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.031501
Mobile Version of Website