Trailforks Website Feedback & Suggestions

PB Forum :: Trailforks Feedback
Trailforks Website Feedback & Suggestions
Mod O+
Posted: Apr 13, 2015 at 11:10 Quote
yup, i'll add that now!

Posted: Apr 20, 2015 at 15:52 Quote
I've got a question about a rail trail.

I want to add the D&L Trail—a 165 mile rail trail in Eastern Pennsylvania.

A few issues:

—It's not continuous. Parts travel on roads. For trailforks purposes, it's more like a "route." Which is fine, but then it would appear as separate "trails," which it isn't. And I'd have to make up names for the different sections of the trail.

—Some parts have have an official, signed local trail name—in addition to the official overall trail name. For example, part of the trail is known as the "Lehigh Gorge Trail" or the "Black Diamond Trail." But the name is still "D&L Trail."

Any suggestions about what to do?

------

Edit: I think I should create separate trail sections for each continuous part of the trail. Like "D&L Trail: Mountaintop to White Haven." "D&L Trail: White Haven to Lehigh Tannery." And so on. And then combine the sections in one "route" called the "D&L Trail." The part about local trail names: I could combine trail sections as one "route."

It's not optimal, because trail sections aren't officially "separate" trails with different names (except for the local names), but it's a workaround for trailforks purposes.

Mod O+
Posted: Apr 20, 2015 at 21:55 Quote
I'm on the road, heading back from Sea Otter. I will take a closer look on Friday when I'm home, but sounds like separate trails and a route to link them all would be best. But more work obviously. This has been done with other very long trails

Mod O+
Posted: May 7, 2015 at 14:40 Quote
I added an option to "rescan for trails" on routes. When you edit a route you created or have admin permission over, you will see the link at the very bottom of the edit form. this will rescan the route for any matching trails that might have been added since the route was added.

example, this route was added before any trails existed. Ran the rescan function and it picked up the 2 trails
http://www.trailforks.com/route/romero-san-ysidro-loop/

Posted: May 22, 2015 at 9:45 Quote
when you add trails there is a banner message that says this:

Trails are NOT routes or rides. We like individual trails to be added, we have a "routes" feature coming soon which will be multiple existing trails linked together. You can add a gps track from your entire ride and use the CROP tool to add just one trail section.

now that you have the Routes feature you could probably edit that text?

Mod O+
Posted: May 22, 2015 at 10:07 Quote
thanks for pointing that out! I never see that message, only users in Europe should see it.

O+
Posted: May 24, 2015 at 13:10 Quote
I am planning out a ride from Langdale terminal in Gibsons, to loop around Robert's creek and back to the start. I thought I would create a route that I could download and use on the phone or garmin to help guide us.It didn't seem to work out the way I'd hoped.

1. I wanted to keep the route private, because I have not ridden there before and don't know whether this is the best route or not. Is this even possible? I clicked unpublished....
2.Once I submitted my route, I can't find it again. It seems the route would need to be approved by local trail associations before becoming public? That means I after I created my route, I can't see it, go back and edit it, etc?

I guess what I"m saying is it would be cool to have a personalized route feature to help plan out a ride somewhere, where I could make a route, for myself or friends, but it doesn't have to be a public thing for everybody to use. That way it wouldn't need to be approved, and I can just update, edit or delete it when I'm finished using it.

Mod O+
Posted: May 25, 2015 at 13:15 Quote
"routes" are not meant for personal use, they are part of the Trailforks directory, like trails & regions.

To plan a ride for personal use you can use the "Ride Planner" feature under the "Ridelog" menu dropdown
http://www.trailforks.com/ridelog/planner/
It is the same interface as used for creating a route, but for personal use, you don't hafta wait for a moderator to approve anything, it isn't listed publicly anywhere.

Posted: May 25, 2015 at 23:33 Quote
Would be great if you could change a confirmation vote you've done. Like this, for instance. I declined the trail, but after communication with the poster he made the suggested changes and now I want to confirm the trail.
http://www.trailforks.com/confirm/view/trail/21138/

Posted: May 25, 2015 at 23:45 Quote
is it right that a segment in strava is the same as a trail here?

Posted: May 26, 2015 at 4:09 Quote
corollafreak wrote:

It could be. A segment on Strava can be part of a trail on Trailforks. Or the whole trail or a combination of several trails or parts of trails. Also Strava segments can overlap each other in part or in ful.

O+
Posted: May 26, 2015 at 16:20 Quote
Hi Trevor,

I'm having difficulty getting the ride planner to work; it's almost there, but a bit buggy. First, when I tried going point to point, it somehow created the 40 k ride into about 500ks and 700 trails. Then, I tried selecting the same ride by choosing the individual trails; it got the distance right, but it would somehow start switching the directions of the trails. I would go back and try change the directions, and it would affect other trail directions, so it became impossible to get all directions correct. Not sure what I'm doing wrong? One of the versions I can edit, the other version I cannot...

Also, I haven't figured out how to share the ride plan with others; I see the save and share button, but can only save, can't share?

Mod O+
Posted: May 26, 2015 at 16:43 Quote
the selecting individual trails, if a trail is not connected and you need to flip it, you need to flip before selecting the next trail. You can't go and start flipping at the end.

You can share by copy and pasting the URL generated after you save.

not sure about the 40k to 500k routing, can you copy the URL to that one.

Yes there is lots of refinement to go on the ride planner, I just haven't had the time lately, working on the app.

Defiantly something bad going on with the ride planner atm though, its doubling up the trails and distance every point you add. The elevation chart and exported GPX are fine though.

Posted: May 26, 2015 at 18:15 Quote
ollesvensk wrote:
corollafreak wrote:

It could be. A segment on Strava can be part of a trail on Trailforks. Or the whole trail or a combination of several trails or parts of trails. Also Strava segments can overlap each other in part or in ful.

Therefore, I can just add a Strava segment to be a trail here right?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012355
Mobile Version of Website