Powered by Outside

Suspension SETUP, a 'how to' guide...

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Suspension SETUP, a 'how to' guide...
Posted: Sep 4, 2009 at 13:26 Quote
i have a question, its a bit of a noob question but what ever. i have a fox 40 and the only problem i have is that when im going fast little bumps and roots feel like shit. for example braking bumps on crank it up at whistler. which compression do i change, high or low speed compression, im just abit confused cause in the article it says low speed compression is for braking bumps and high speed is for big hits unless i read it wrong.

Mod
Posted: Sep 5, 2009 at 5:02 Quote
mr-eric wrote:
i have a question, its a bit of a noob question but what ever. i have a fox 40 and the only problem i have is that when im going fast little bumps and roots feel like shit. for example braking bumps on crank it up at whistler. which compression do i change, high or low speed compression, im just abit confused cause in the article it says low speed compression is for braking bumps and high speed is for big hits unless i read it wrong.
Page 14 should answer this. Smile

Posted: Sep 5, 2009 at 10:31 Quote
almostwise wrote:
mr-eric wrote:
Page 14 should answer this. Smile
ahh i see, thanks

Posted: Sep 5, 2009 at 15:20 Quote
ctd07 wrote:
And lastly, I have recently made the change to fatter grips because I broke one of my fingers years ago playing basketball and it always gives me hassle when riding, I know thin grips are as fashionable as thin pedals, but also as functionally pointless - I now use Lizard Skin North Shore grips and haven't had any hand/finger problems since and it no longer feels as though the bars are impaling my hands when I ride - maybe give it a try if worse comes to worst... EDIT: Handlebar sweep/rise degrees may also be worth considering if still suffering from hand cramp after long runs, maybe tilt your bars forwards or back a bit to see if that helps, if not, get a bar with a different backsweep that maybe makes the grips sit better into your grip

The grips you are right about, but lower profile pedals functionally pointless? Seriously? Er, wrong.

Posted: Sep 5, 2009 at 15:23 Quote
Yeah Ctd that was silly, on a sunday for example, you wannat your drivetrain as low profile as poss, e.g 165 cranks, super thin pedals etc,

Woops...ive got 170's and thickpedals...uh oh

Posted: Sep 5, 2009 at 19:59 Quote
OK, I was thinking mainly to the extremes when I wrote that, there's companies now that make pedals so thin that they have bulges in the body where the bushings sit around the axle, thus kinda rendering the whole 'ultra thin' aspect useless as the pedal loses it's concave footwell - no point having a thin pedal if it grips badly and isn't durable, when making a pedal 2mm thicker that grips better would be far more functional and isn't gonna catch any more rocks.

The point isn't really relevant though

Posted: Sep 12, 2009 at 14:22 Quote
Okay i have read most of the pages on sag etc and my giant glory is running with 30% sag (race sag apparantly). When i set the sag the back shock managed to find 30% sag easily, but when trying to obtain 30% on my fox 40 forks i couldnt achieve it smack on. I have a purple spring in the fork which is correct for my weight, but when i ride the bike the front end almost feels too soft. im not sure what have done wrong.
My high speed comp = 8 clicks counterclockwise from hard.
my low speed compression = 6 clicks from hard.
If anyone has any setup tips to help me its much appreciated.

~Dan~

Posted: Sep 21, 2009 at 23:03 Quote
So I've read almost every page of this thread. So I decided to check out what my sag was at on my fox 40 and DHX 5.0 on my trek session 88 Dh. After putting a zip tie on and standing on the bike I only got 23% sag or 47mm with zero clicks of preload so fully soft, and I adjusted the low speed compression but it didn't make a noticeable difference. But the problem is I get to little sag but I can bottom it out so I'm a tad confused. Confused What should I do? Also to measure the sag on a rear shock is it measured eye to eye or is the shocks stroke? If you could answer these that would be great.

Thanks, Calvin Smile

Posted: Sep 22, 2009 at 4:39 Quote
1.Are you standing up or sitting down when you measure fork sag? The only way to measure fork sag is to stand up in the 'attack' position with some weight on the bars trying to mimic the position you would have on the bike when riding DH.

2.Add high speed compression damping to stop the fork bottoming out.

3.Measuring rear shock sag can be done by the eye to eye method or shock shaft stroke used - they equal the same thing. The most accurate method is to take the spring off and push the rubber bump stop up to the top of the shaft - re-install the shock, sit on the bike with your riding gear on, get off without bouncing the bike, take the shock & spring back off and measure how much the bump stop has been pushed down.

Posted: Sep 22, 2009 at 17:46 Quote
i know its slightly off topic, but does anyone know where the 2009 Marzochi DJ2's are made? is it still in Italy?

Posted: Sep 22, 2009 at 18:04 Quote
and does anyone have a pdf file with an exploded view of 08 dj 1

Posted: Sep 23, 2009 at 3:16 Quote
alderman wrote:
i know its slightly off topic, but does anyone know where the 2009 Marzochi DJ2's are made? is it still in Italy?

all their stuff is now made in Taiwan at the SR Suntour factory

Posted: Sep 23, 2009 at 7:22 Quote
nothingsshocking wrote:
and does anyone have a pdf file with an exploded view of 08 dj 1

could try this but not sure on the exploded view though.

http://www.windwave.co.uk/documents/techinfo/marzocchitechinfo.html

Posted: Sep 23, 2009 at 7:23 Quote
djking2728 wrote:
So I've read almost every page of this thread. So I decided to check out what my sag was at on my fox 40 and DHX 5.0 on my trek session 88 Dh. After putting a zip tie on and standing on the bike I only got 23% sag or 47mm with zero clicks of preload so fully soft, and I adjusted the low speed compression but it didn't make a noticeable difference. But the problem is I get to little sag but I can bottom it out so I'm a tad confused. Confused What should I do? Also to measure the sag on a rear shock is it measured eye to eye or is the shocks stroke? If you could answer these that would be great.

Thanks, Calvin Smile

Adjust your low and high speed compression damping to help keep the fork from blowing through all its travel without getting a heavier spring. 23% sag is a reasonable number, and the lack of the next little bit of sag could be chalked up to stiction or anything like that. In order for the compression damping circuits to help keep the fork from bottoming out you are going to have to adjust both the high and low speed adjustments, not just high speed.

Posted: Sep 23, 2009 at 11:40 Quote
I'd just like to thank everyone who's contributed advice and questions to this thread and helped it kick off into being a useful and more comprehensive resource - I've just finished updating the Original Post to make it more comprehensive in helping to set up your fork/shock and also to cover some of the reoccurring questions that have been asked on this thread as regards more specific queries....

Thanks again for the extra input so far and in advance for any more info that will keep this thread up-to-date and relevant with all the latest products and issues out there - just to mention I'll be moving to New Zealand for 10 months [or maybe longer] at the end of October '09, so I won't be able to give any more input to this thread for a while as I'll probably have no internet access over there - The other guy's who've helped people out so far on this thread will be able to help you out though for sure!

Salute

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017113
Mobile Version of Website