Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
Posted: Sep 30, 2015 at 9:45 Quote
Gingymp5 wrote:
nevi414 wrote:
Hey everyone could someone please shed a little light as to what may be causing my headset to keep coming loose? This is the third time now that it's come loose and im growing more concerned each time. It's an fsa orbit 1.5 zero stack headset on a '15 Wilson 27.5. Is this common for it to loosen over time, could there be something else contributing to this or could it be a low quality headset? A buddy suggested locktite but first Id like to see what some other thoughts/opinions are and any info will be much appreciated! Thanks guys
Is your starnut sliding?

Yes it is. The first time I had it tightened I was told that the star nut wasn't in the right position.

Posted: Sep 30, 2015 at 10:41 Quote
TheMastodon wrote:
angry-sasquatch wrote:
TheMastodon wrote:
I wouldn't put that in your 40. It won't mess anything up but your fork won't preform as well.

I guess ill stick to 7wt. Thought it might make it more plush.
Wait I thought you had the 40 float? I use 20 wt...

Posted: Sep 30, 2015 at 11:57 Quote
nevi414 wrote:
Hey everyone could someone please shed a little light as to what may be causing my headset to keep coming loose? This is the third time now that it's come loose and im growing more concerned each time. It's an fsa orbit 1.5 zero stack headset on a '15 Wilson 27.5. Is this common for it to loosen over time, could there be something else contributing to this or could it be a low quality headset? A buddy suggested locktite but first Id like to see what some other thoughts/opinions are and any info will be much appreciated! Thanks guys
Torque the steerer tube clamp on the top crown. Then make sure the clamps on the stanchions are tight.

Posted: Sep 30, 2015 at 15:50 Quote
angry-sasquatch wrote:
TheMastodon wrote:
angry-sasquatch wrote:
I wouldn't put that in your 40. It won't mess anything up but your fork won't preform as well.

No I have the coil version.

Posted: Sep 30, 2015 at 20:42 Quote
TheMastodon wrote:
angry-sasquatch wrote:
TheMastodon wrote:

No I have the coil version.

If it just the oil in the lower legs for lube the you will be fine.

Doubting you'd be asking if you were doing the damper, but it will say in the manual

Posted: Sep 30, 2015 at 20:44 Quote
nevi414 wrote:
Gingymp5 wrote:
nevi414 wrote:
Is your starnut sliding?

Yes it is. The first time I had it tightened I was told that the star nut wasn't in the right position.

The star nut does not hold the stem on. It only allows you to set the bearing preload.

I bet your missing a spacer or have the wrong crown race. So you install it it seems fine then after riding it's loosening up right?

Posted: Sep 30, 2015 at 21:59 Quote
Thepureface wrote:
nevi414 wrote:
Gingymp5 wrote:
Is your starnut sliding?

The star nut does not hold the stem on. It only allows you to set the bearing preload.

I bet your missing a spacer or have the wrong crown race. So you install it it seems fine then after riding it's loosening up right?
What? He said his headset is coming loose not his stem. I had a problem with starnuts sliding and it went exactly the way you're describing.

Posted: Oct 1, 2015 at 1:21 Quote
Gingymp5 wrote:
Thepureface wrote:
nevi414 wrote:

What? He said his headset is coming loose not his stem. I had a problem with starnuts sliding and it went exactly the way you're describing.

But once you've set your bearing preload and tightened your top crown then you could even remove the starnut and top cap

Posted: Oct 1, 2015 at 3:52 Quote
I haven't had time to fully investigate yet, but, my intense m9 has about 3-4mm of play in this linkage:

Excessive play where arrow is pointing

I appreciate that a worn bearing would cause play, the amount I have seems excessive. When the bike is on its handlebars and seat, upside down, the driveside of the bike is pulling towards itself and is off centre.

As i said, I haven't had time to strip it and investigate but have time to write this post. Does anybody have any inclination to what this could be? I thought the bearing could have collapsed but other than that its worrying me. I purchased the bike off a guy on here and haven't ridden it but recently discovered this and he is denying any knowledge of it.

Any help or previous problems similar from m9 owners would be greatly appreciated.

Posted: Oct 1, 2015 at 4:48 Quote
BurgundyRon wrote:
I haven't had time to fully investigate yet, but, my intense m9 has about 3-4mm of play in this linkage:

I appreciate that a worn bearing would cause play, the amount I have seems excessive. When the bike is on its handlebars and seat, upside down, the driveside of the bike is pulling towards itself and is off centre.

As i said, I haven't had time to strip it and investigate but have time to write this post. Does anybody have any inclination to what this could be? I thought the bearing could have collapsed but other than that its worrying me. I purchased the bike off a guy on here and haven't ridden it but recently discovered this and he is denying any knowledge of it.

Any help or previous problems similar from m9 owners would be greatly appreciated.

I have seen many many intenses kill that very bearing. Wouldnt be at all surprised if yours has collapsed. Not a big prob to sort out.

Posted: Oct 1, 2015 at 5:15 Quote
If any of you work in a bike shop what's your policy when it comes to booking in bikes? Reasonably clean? Do you book in supermarket bikes and other bso's?

Posted: Oct 1, 2015 at 5:44 Quote
Bromaphobe wrote:
If any of you work in a bike shop what's your policy when it comes to booking in bikes? Reasonably clean? Do you book in supermarket bikes and other bso's?

I don't clean bikes. If you bring a bike in all covered in shit, you will get it back all covered in shit, and I'll charge extra labour if all the shit on the bike makes my life harder when fixing it.

Its actually a pet hate of mine, you wouldn't take your car in for a service just after driving it through a field full of cow dung, so why do people insist on doing so with bikes? I will clean a bike a little if you are really nice to me. Or if you have nice boobs. Awful I know, but hell, I've got a mechanics brain, what can I say?

As for BSO's, yeah we will build them. 1 hours labour, and if the thing falls apart underneath you, thats not my fault. Unless it was definitely an issue with my work. It probably wont be tho, BSO's just fall apart, its what they do.

That all probably comes across as a bit harsh, but I suppose so is bringing in a dirty bike, or buying a piece of shit online then asking me to build it for pennies.

Posted: Oct 1, 2015 at 6:01 Quote
Our policy was to always to let them know how high our cleaning fee was before accepting a repair like that. Mtbs were a given to be regularly a bit more dirty. The worst has always getting in triathlon bikes. They're basically shithouses on wheels

Posted: Oct 1, 2015 at 6:40 Quote
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
BurgundyRon wrote:

I have seen many many intenses kill that very bearing. Wouldnt be at all surprised if yours has collapsed. Not a big prob to sort out.

Thank you, if it hasn't collapsed then it has chewed f*** out of the frame as the play is too much for it to be anything less severe. Im just going to replace all frame bearings, never done it before so don't really know the best method for removing the existing bearings, heard all sorts of wacky techniques.

Posted: Oct 1, 2015 at 7:31 Quote
Do you have first gen bolts there?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.032488
Mobile Version of Website