Powered by Outside

40 and over mountain bikers.

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
40 and over mountain bikers.
Posted: May 22, 2014 at 8:17 Quote
sup fellas....just joined this thread. nice to see something for us 40+ guys (and gals). I'm 41 and feel great! (thank god). i ride dh, and tons of trail riding as well. I'm also an avid snowboarder, paintballer, and play in competitive basketball leagues too. on occasion i get into the gym as well for some light lifting. i try to stay as active as possible, and the wife and kids help that too. tup tup

Posted: May 23, 2014 at 9:44 Quote
welcome to the club!!

Posted: May 23, 2014 at 9:53 Quote
USMC wrote:
welcome to the club!!
tks bro, happy to be here!! Salute

O+
Posted: May 25, 2014 at 18:36 Quote
I think most guys over 40 come from a yesteryear where motocross motorcycles ruled the earth. We watched the bmx world in its infancy only to spawn and branch into what we now see as mtn biking in all the classes. I have never stopped riding bicycles, however the motocross action ceased about ten years ago.

The one thing that appeals most is TECHNOLOGY.... it is the one element that keeps cycling fresh. I remember the hard-tail, front suspension only days when all mtn riding meant a thunderous chattering of the metal beneath me and my wrists numb by the end of the ride. Now I can ride many types of terrain for hours on end without feeling like a tornado picked me up and threw me a couple of miles.

The fitness element certainly keeps me coming back for more. I ride a lot, but I would love to ride more than I do now. My baseline endurance is higher than most guys half my age, and I enjoy being able to hang with them.

And all those yesteryears of working on bikes certainly comes in handy now. While most of the younger guys I ride with take their bikes into the lbs... I still build and repair my own.

Posted: May 28, 2014 at 17:28 Quote
My dad is 48 years old and has been riding motorcycles and enduro for more than 30 years now. He rides DH now too and still goes riding with me a lot of times, and I won't ever stand a chance against him on certain trails. For instance, on trails with a lot of gravel and small rocks, there's no way I'll be faster than him.

O+
Posted: May 28, 2014 at 19:32 Quote
He seems to fall into my era and you're likely seeing things as they really are.... Old Guys Rule!

At some point he'll slow down, but just think of what you have to live up to.... It's all good! Hang in there :~)

Kudo's for the Old Guy!!

Posted: May 29, 2014 at 4:06 Quote
I didn't start riding dh till 41,now 43 and getting faster every ride,keep up and pass lads half my age and have no intention of slowing down for a long long time yet,keep on top of your fitness,I train or ride 7 days a week.

Posted: May 29, 2014 at 5:02 Quote
Good to hear minty, but definitely get a day or two of rest in ur routine. 7 days is a lot on the body. Especially at our "advanced" ages lol. I train/ride 4-5 days a week. I'd do more if my aches, pains, and soreness would allow. On my "rest" days, I try to relax and score some family time points!

Posted: May 29, 2014 at 6:53 Quote
fredro wrote:
Good to hear minty, but definitely get a day or two of rest in ur routine. 7 days is a lot on the body. Especially at our "advanced" ages lol. I train/ride 4-5 days a week. I'd do more if my aches, pains, and soreness would allow. On my "rest" days, I try to relax and score some family time points!

I get 35 days off at a time and I'd love to be able to ride/dig every day. Unfortunately my body can't keep up. Past injuries keep reminding me to slowdown. 5 days a week is about my max.

Posted: May 29, 2014 at 14:04 Quote
fredro wrote:
it's balanced buddy,3 days weights,2 days core and cardio,either riding or spin bike,and the weekend is all about the bike,dh or trails.

I did my old man years in my 30's when I couldn't do anything due to a spinal injury,since I had that sorted I've got my life and fitness back,won't be letting go any time soon!

Posted: Jul 30, 2014 at 20:47 Quote
I'm 52 this year. Mtb is all my knees and back will allow (bone to bone knees, bulging disc, ect..) I'm training to do an enduro next year or downhill. right now, only riding about 250 miles a month, road and trail. My work and fam wont let me do much more. I have trouble tying my shoes from the bad back, but I can ride like crazy. Same with the knees, I cant walk 1/4 mile without increasing pain. much less run or play any kind of ball, but no prob on the bike. Gotta have something to kick start the adrenaline.

Any of you guys with back pain -- work the core to the max and ice, ice, ice...

Posted: Aug 2, 2014 at 18:41 Quote
Just ordered my custom bmx build today. 44 and not much time to ride but I enjoy every minute of it. I missed the old bmx days so I figured time to get back to it. I rarely ride my dirtjumper and when i do its mostly in the streets. my old moutnain bike is good for long distance street riding, my DJ is good for short trail riding. this Bmx build will be fun for just riding around the neighborhood and doing some basic street tricks. DH is out of the question but my future bike will be a XC build for long trail riding.

Posted: Aug 3, 2014 at 9:59 Quote
I got back into biking about 6 years ago, then life got into the way. Now, I am really close to 50 and at it again. Like others, I started in motocross and BMX a billion years ago. In college I had a great orange Stumpjumper and remember it fondly. I am oldish, slow and overweight. However, two of those are going in a good direction lately. I do feel very fortunate, like a lot of you, to be at the stage to buy cool stuff. Tomorrow I am going to two local parks with my new bike, a Specialized Evo Carbon with XO components. This stuff really has gotten cool!

I read this entire thread, all 16 pages, given getting started again is tough, especially at this age, and this thread was a great read.

Posted: Aug 3, 2014 at 10:35 Quote
Welcome bro! Never too late! Post some pics of the new rig! That thing is a beast!

Posted: Aug 4, 2014 at 8:05 Quote
51, ex moto-x, desert, and speedway rider/racer. The last time I rode any form of motorcycle has been 14 years ago. My only form of training when riding I was XC mountain biking. Now after 4 failing back surgeries (arachnoiditis) and looking at having a spinal cord stimulator put in place, high blood and high cholesterol, I'm looking to get back on a mountain bike. Both my doctors, Neurologist and Cardiologist, are recommending it. Due to low impact (if bike is set up properly) and the cardio benefits.

So I've been kicking the tires on a Specialized Hardrock 29 at my LBS. Not wanting to spend a fortune just getting back into pedaling, I feel this is a good starting point. Excited to get back in the saddle.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011615
Mobile Version of Website